Restaurant quality Cioppino in the comfort of your kitchen!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 fresh red chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 (10 ounce) can minced clams, drained with juice reserved
- 25 mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 25 shrimp
- 10 ounces scallops
- 1 pound cod fillets, cubed
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat the olive oil, and saute the onion, garlic, bell pepper, and chili pepper until tender. Add parsley, salt and pepper, basil, oregano, thyme, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, paprika, cayenne pepper, and juice from the clams. Stir well, reduce heat, and simmer 1 to 2 hours, adding wine a little at a time.
- About 10 minutes before serving, add clams, mussels, prawns, scallops, and cod. Turn the heat up slightly and stir. When the seafood is cooked through (the mussels will have opened, the prawns turned pink, and the cod will be flaky).