A great source of Zinc!
- 1 (1 1/2-ounce) slice white bread
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped fennel
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons anise liqueur (such as ouzo)
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) shredded fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fennel fronds
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Dash of ground red pepper
- 12 shucked oysters
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 7 times or until coarse crumbs measure about 1 cup. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes or until toasted. Transfer to a plate; cool.
- Position oven rack to the top one-third of the oven. Increase oven temperature to 425°.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add fennel and garlic to pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring often. Add broth and salt; cover and cook 5 minutes or until fennel is tender. Uncover and cook 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Stir in liqueur; cook 1 minute or until liqueur evaporates. Transfer fennel mixture to a bowl; add breadcrumbs, cheese, fennel fronds, rind, juice, and red pepper. Toss to combine.
- Arrange oysters in a single layer on a large baking pan. Top each oyster with about 1 tablespoon fennel mixture. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until the edges of the oysters begin to curl and the stuffing is lightly browned. Serve immediately.