The perfect balance of sweetness and tartness, great way to get those vegetables in!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- I large head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 1 Granny Smith Apple, chopped or coarsely grated
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. grounds cloves
- 1/2 tsp. caraway seeds (optional)
- kosher salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a deep non-stick Dutch Oven.
- Add onions and cook about 3 minutes, until slightly tender.
- Add cabbage and apples and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add all spices and liquid ingredients.
- Bring to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for about 30-45 minutes. (Cabbage should be cooked but not mushy)
- Add salt and pepper to taste.