Very corny and delightful soup from the Asia!
- 4 ears corn
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 12 sprigs cilantro
- 5 (1/8-inch-thick) slices peeled fresh ginger
- 1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and quartered
- 1 to 2 fresh lemongrass stalks, including bulb end, smashed and coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Thinly sliced lime (optional)
- Thinly sliced jalapeño pepper (optional)
- Cut corn kernels from ears of corn; set aside. Reserve cobs.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Cut each cob into 3 pieces. Add cobs, 4 cups water, and next 6 ingredients (through garlic) to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Strain broth through a colander into a bowl; discard solids. Add corn kernels, juice, and salt to broth; stir to blend. Return soup to pan; simmer 5 minutes or until hot. Garnish with lime and jalapeño slices, if desired.