Whisper's Diary

What an excellent distraction! I love writing & reading.
"Hundreds of NaNoWriMo novels have been traditionally published. They include Sara Gruen’s Water for Elephants, Erin Morgenstern’s The Night Circus, Hugh Howey’s Wool, Rainbow Rowell’s Fangirl, Jason Hough’s The Darwin Elevator, and Marissa Meyer’s Cinder. "
I loved Water for Elephants. I'll order the others from the library (or at least look them up & see what they're about. I just ordered The Night Circus, Wool & Fangirl

What an excellent distraction! I love writing & reading.
"Hundreds of NaNoWriMo novels have been traditionally published. They include Sara Gruen’s Water for Elephants, Erin Morgenstern’s The Night Circus, Hugh Howey’s Wool, Rainbow Rowell’s Fangirl, Jason Hough’s The Darwin Elevator, and Marissa Meyer’s Cinder. "
I loved Water for Elephants. I'll order the others from the library (or at least look them up & see what they're about. I just ordered The Night Circus, Wool & Fangirl

It's funny. I like writing, but I don't read as much. Go figure. I do like some books though - mainly sci-fi, horror, and some fantasy.

Avid reader, only occasional writer here. Most of my writing has been more self analysis and journaling. I appreciate people who enjoy writing very much, though.

I read the spark notes a bit here. I'm your age and have also had strange things going on with edema and blood pressure in the past (along with the weight thing, lol). At any rate, have fun writing.
TDT

Avid reader, only occasional writer here. Most of my writing has been more self analysis and journaling. I appreciate people who enjoy writing very much, though.

I read the spark notes a bit here. I'm your age and have also had strange things going on with edema and blood pressure in the past (along with the weight thing, lol). At any rate, have fun writing.
TDT

One thing I found out in the last couple of days (I should have known it longer) is that edema is a side effect from the BP med I am taking. Gives me even more reason to lose weight and get off of it.

Week 10 Update:

Start Weight: 268.8

Last Week - 254.3
This Week - 254.4

Lost this week: +0.1 lbs
Total Lost: -14.4 lbs

Total word count for Nanowrimo: 2003 (yup I'm behind. It's normal. I'm supposed to have 6667 by the end of today. I can catch up though)

Achievements This Week: Stagnation Indignation x 2 = exasperated

Exercise:
Power 90 (old school) - Mon, Wed, Fri (Did not do this week)
Ab routine - Tue, Thu, Sat (Did not do this week)
Additional - yardwork and walking (Plenty of)

Another week gone. I was only up (+ .1). To me, it was a waste. I could have been drinking soda and woofing down bonbons all day and maintain. Well, probably not, but I'm frustrated lol. It could have been worse, not that I can think of any reason why it should have been.

1) Water level is fine. I feel really good about it.

2) I did not track my totals like I was going to: Weight, Calories, Water, Sodium, Steps, Exercise, Duration (however, I do track these every day. I just didn't put the totals all on the same sheet to see the day to day fluctuations.

3) I ditched the inversion pose. My back couldn't handle the stress of it. I do however use a foot rest now and the swelling in my calves seem to be much better although they do still swell some. It just seems not as much. Thank you LaMa for the suggestion. I've also started measuring my calves as a key metric of water retention and they really don't fluctuate much at least to me. Maybe, 1/4 of an inch. But maybe 1/4 inch equates to 2 lbs?

4) Walking has been good and frustrating. If I'm not doing yard work, then I make a concerted effort to walk 1 hr a day (2 x 30 minutes; 30 minutes is about all I can handle before I start hobbling badly). My stamina is better. What is frustrating to me is I use Samsung Health (built in to the phone). Problem is if I walk faster, it shows that I have walked further and at a faster speed. If I walk slower, like yesterday deliberately, it of course shows me walking slower, but also 1/2 mile shorter even though I really walked further than normal. So the same distance can range between 1.2 miles and 1.76 miles depending on how fast I walk. Ugh. When it comes to weight loss, isn't there ANYTHING AT ALL that works and can be trusted? I don't think so.

5) To feel better, I even measured. It's been about a month. Disappointing there also, I'm only down 2 inches. However, a little spark of good information and maybe a little too much TMI. I'm down about 4 inches in both my waist and hips. It could explain why I was walking the other day and felt my pants and boxers fall down even though I was wearing a belt lol.

So goals for this week? Honestly, I don't want to. I'm tired. You can't make me. But here goes anyway:

1) Find something that tracks walking distance and steps better. Is it that important? No. As long as I get out there and get my carcass moving an hour a day, I'm happy regardless of what that big ole mean scale says about me.

2) No soda. Not that I'm drinking much. I get tired of just plain water or lemon water. Ugh. But sometimes, I wonder, if I cave in and drink 4 oz of soda, if those enticing, evil bubbles don't bloat every cell in my body and makes me appear to gain all of those pounds. It's my new bubble theory.

Sorry for the sarcasm. Making fun of this weight loss thing helps me stay sane. The flipside is to just give up and continuing to be blob-boy, but isn't that what the system wants anyway? It seems to be hell-bent on making you fail. It all seems stupid to me, but whatever.

I've got to continue keeping on regardless. Now to that ton of yard work I've got to do today....the forest is out of control.

Maybe, I should post some pics and document some of my day to day life? Whatcha think? We are pretty poor so I don't have a mansion to show, but I can show you around the property and my walking path. And maybe anything else interesting along the way. For whatever reason, our yard is busy with different kinds of animals.

Thanks for listening to my long winded, frustration.

Yay for less leg swelling! I don´t actually know how much 1/4 inch of swelling equates to but if wanted to find out you could measure circumference, then if it´s a "good" day put one leg into a bucket with a measured amount of water, draw a line where the water comes up to, repeat on the next "bad" day, and see how much water you have to add to the bucket to get from the lower line to the higher. I think. I´m not Archimedes though.
What is frustrating to me is I use Samsung Health (built in to the phone). Problem is if I walk faster, it shows that I have walked further and at a faster speed.
That´s interesting. I wonder if that means they assume you always take equal length steps and you really take shorter steps when walking fast or if they assume your steps get longer when you walk faster and yours stay the same. I don´t think any standardized equipment will ever work for all bodies, sorry.

I'm down about 4 inches in both my waist and hips. It could explain why I was walking the other day and felt my pants and boxers fall down even though I was wearing a belt lol.
Awesome, congratulations! That´s real progress, regardless of what the scale says. More importantly: a reduction in your waist is what makes the biggest difference for your health risks.
Maybe, I should post some pics and document some of my day to day life? Whatcha think? We are pretty poor so I don't have a mansion to show, but I can show you around the property and my walking path. And maybe anything else interesting along the way. For whatever reason, our yard is busy with different kinds of animals.
I´d love to see some pictures! I live on roughly 320 square foot so I really don´t expect mansions. What kind of animals do you get around where you live?

Okay, I did an experiment. "Scientifically" LOL>

I compared Samsung Health to the Pacer Walking App (supposed to be really good and accurate),

The results are:

Samsung - Walked 1.47 miles in 30 minutes. Took 3071 steps and burned 181 calories
Pacer - Walked 1.33 miles in 30 minutes. Took 3067 steps and burned 154 calories.

I know they say it's about 2000 steps per mile. It would make sense for me to take more steps as my legs are shorter.

Still, to me they were both comparable. They did both get the 30 minutes correct :) and the steps were nearly spot on.

So end result, I have no idea how far I am really walking, but I do know that I am taking steps to get there and it is 30 minutes. LOL

Yay for less leg swelling! I don´t actually know how much 1/4 inch of swelling equates to but if wanted to find out you could measure circumference, then if it´s a "good" day put one leg into a bucket with a measured amount of water, draw a line where the water comes up to, repeat on the next "bad" day, and see how much water you have to add to the bucket to get from the lower line to the higher. I think. I´m not Archimedes though.

I haven't heard of that. I'll have to try it. I'll try anything once, twice if I like it. :)

That´s interesting. I wonder if that means they assume you always take equal length steps and you really take shorter steps when walking fast or if they assume your steps get longer when you walk faster and yours stay the same. I don´t think any standardized equipment will ever work for all bodies, sorry.

I assume that it has something to do with stride, but I can't find in either app where it gives me the choice to update. I've had plenty of pedometers before where you could input stride but they were all so easy to trick that you were moving.

I´d love to see some pictures! I live on roughly 320 square foot so I really don´t expect mansions. What kind of animals do you get around where you live?

Well we have typical ones like dogs, cats, rhinos, and hippos. Okay, well not the rhinos and hippos but we do have dogs and cats in the neighborhood.

I've seen: snakes, red birds (cardinal), bluebirds, turkey vultures, hawks, and the guy in the picture. Supposed to be some kind of egret. About a week prior to this picture, there were four in our yard. By the time, I whipped out my phone to take a picture, they flew away. Even this picture isn't that great. Now I know why no one can take a clear picture of bigfoot. My sister said that egrets are normally around the parks and ponds. We are not that close to a park or water source so it was weird seeing them. I had never seen one before here and neither has my sister. All of the birds are not normal for me to see. I"ve also seen a wild rabbit and possum. In the apartments where I used to live, I saw a beaver. It was huge.

We live in a city and not out in the country so it's strange for me to see these. I thought about trying to take better pictures of each different thing I see, just to see how many different kinds of animals and insects, and birds I run across. Something for fun.

My phone is 12 megapixels, but still it ends up taking really bad pictures. (Notice, I'm not blaming the photographer.)

Attachments

• 20210615_153011.jpg
    20210615_153011.jpg
    895.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210615_153034.jpg
    20210615_153034.jpg
    887.9 KB · Views: 4
My parents live on a farm and have been keeping a list of birds visiting their garden for years. It gets impressive after a while! I like the egret; not something I've seen on my side of the world. Only once saw a vulture, flying below me while I was hiking in Spain, and I haven't got a clue what kind. I think they're making a comeback in Austria as well but I assume they'd stay away from Vienna.

My parents live on a farm and have been keeping a list of birds visiting their garden for years. It gets impressive after a while! I like the egret; not something I've seen on my side of the world. Only once saw a vulture, flying below me while I was hiking in Spain, and I haven't got a clue what kind. I think they're making a comeback in Austria as well but I assume they'd stay away from Vienna.

Your part of the world sounds so much more exotic. Mine is rather plain lol.

I'm not going to do this a bunch, but just a few times to see the differences.

Samsung Health, today so far - Active Time 1 hr 18 Mins, 468 calories burned, 7617 steps for a total of 3.74 miles

Pacer, today so far - Active Time 1 hr 32 Mins, 381 calories burned, 7599 steps for a total of 3.16 miles

So far, I:

Walked for 30 mins, mowed outer from yard for 24 mins, and mowed inner front yard for 24 mins.

I'm shaking from a blood sugar drop and my clothes are soaked. I'm going to take it easy for a bit before doing some limbs this afternoon.

I probably don't have to tell you to be careful with that blood sugar but please do.

Thanks. Yeah, I've had problems with low blood sugar my whole life. It's not fun. A lot depends on what I eat, when, and how much exercise I get. Yesterday, I got quite a bit and hadn't eaten much all day.

I get really dizzy if I haven't eaten for any length of time. I can't do IF for that reason. Please take care of yourself. Those scales will move soon. I know it's frustrating. We still need fuel to do what we need & want to do.

Hi whisper you are welcome, I will like to give you some easy steps for you to lose weight but you have to be patient.
Hello, Nabs. I'm sure we are all happy to get support & useful information, but please know that this forum does not allow any spamming.

Week 11 Update:

Start Weight: 268.8

Last Week - 254.4
This Week - 254.7

Lost this week: +0.3 lbs
Total Lost: -14.1 lbs

Total word count for Nanowrimo: 6200 (Still behind)

Achievements This Week: Stagnation Indignation x 2 = exasperated * 2 Extreme = I give up

Exercise:
Power 90 (old school) - Mon, Wed, Fri (Did not do this week)
Ab routine - Tue, Thu, Sat (Did not do this week)
Additional - yardwork and walking (Felt sick all week. Didn't do much; my steps got lower and lower each day)

Another week gone. I was up (+ .4). I so wish I had a reason, but I don't. In the past couple of days I lowered my calories more. Everything else is pretty much the same. I was in and out of the bathroom a lot yesterday, so I figured I'd finally lose some of this water weight, but here I am up this morning, even more than yesterday. I felt the urge after I weighed so I went and then weighed again and it was still the same. How is that even possible? I double checked with the other scale and it showed the same. I had my sister weigh. Now on the one scale, it showed her up 3 lbs vs the other scale. For me though, it showed the exact same weight on both of them. If I want something, I can't get it. Moral of the story.

Usually I weigh the lowest on Sunday, but the past several weeks I'll weigh lower on Saturday and then be up on Sunday. In times past, I would take the lowest of the two days as the official weight of the week.

I know it's a mental thing, but I may go back to that. I am mentally exhausted right now. I desperately need a pick up.

I wish I could say that I'm woofing down bon-bons and swigging cokes all day, but that's just not the case. At least it would make sense then and I'd probably feel better.

I don't think I've ever had this happen before, but then again I don't have any records to go back and check either.

I was going to wait until further down the weight loss path to do weight training, but what's the point.

I have no energy.

Hi, Tom. You said that you have been feeling sick this week. Maybe that's why you are not losing. Do you have any food insensitivities or allergies? Inflammation, stress, medication & lack of sleep can hinder weight loss. There are so many possibilities & I can never work out which is slowing me down. I know that wine was. Keep on keeping on. They must budge soon!

Back