Whisper's Diary

I understand your frustration, I really do. It sucks so much to work hard and see no results :grouphug: I'm glad you're aware that it's water and the fat is still melting away even if it's masked by the water weight. You can do this - you ARE doing this!

I understand your frustration, I really do. It sucks so much to work hard and see no results :grouphug: I'm glad you're aware that it's water and the fat is still melting away even if it's masked by the water weight. You can do this - you ARE doing this!

thanks. I'm just going to keep going and hopefully this week will have some different results.

Tom- It must be absolutely frustrating. I understand wholeheartedly. I am trying hard to get back on track, get back into a routine & start losing again. Dieting sucks. I have to relearn not to get upset when the scales don't go down every week. We simply just can't give up on ourselves.

Tom- It must be absolutely frustrating. I understand wholeheartedly. I am trying hard to get back on track, get back into a routine & start losing again. Dieting sucks. I have to relearn not to get upset when the scales don't go down every week. We simply just can't give up on ourselves.

Ugh, I know. What I need to do it put this stuff on auto-pilot where dieting and exercise is just something that I do and not think about and put my mind on something else, but alas, it is difficult. I keep measuring everything against the scale and kind of forget about everything else. I'm not going to give up and please you don't give up either!

Tom, you should congratulate yourself for doing all the steps you're doing. The scale is not an accurate measure of the progress you're making.

Take the new yoga pose, for example. If you continue to do that for a week or 2, it will become a new healthy habit. Eventually, if it helps reduce leg swelling, it may help you shed some water weight. I think you have it right that a lot of the reason you gain a few lbs is due to water. Whether you drank a lot, or you just retained due to high sodium.

So, if it's just water, why be so upset about it?

I feel depressed, too. But, when it comes on, I think of the good things in my life and am thankful for them. If that doesn't work, I think about people who have much less than me, or who are very sick. Whatever it takes to prove to myself that if someone in worse circumstances can keep going, then I certainly can.

Well I was doing some researching last night about weight stalling. To me, in my thinking, I shouldn't have a weight loss stall seeing how I still have a long, long way to go. But, I read where it is pretty common once a person loses between 5 and 10 percent of their body weight. And I have lost over 5 percent. I also had a dream last night where I was looking in the mirror and could see a side view of myself and was amazed how much I had lost and was thinking that no matter what I didn't want to give up that progress. So I have some renewed energy for today. I'll probably be mowing so I'll be getting more exercise. I did take off yesterday. I did very little. It happens so seldom that it felt good. Hope everyone has a good day.

Oh on a side note, I feel much thinner and clothes are looser. I think I may try and see if I can go down a pants size yet. Still, the scale hasn't budged. For the past three weeks now I'm only look at a loss of 1.5 pounds, a far cry from the 2.5 pounds a week I had been averaging.

Your measurements/waist going down is just as solid progress as is a drop on the scale. Glad to hear you're hanging in there.

Your measurements/waist going down is just as solid progress as is a drop on the scale. Glad to hear you're hanging in there.

I just finished working in the yard for over an hour. My clothes are soaked. I'll have to find an old pair of pants. I'm super curious now. That'd be great if they actually fit good. That'd be a pick up.

The scales can do my head in too, but going down a size in pants would be a splendid indication of how well you're doing.

Tom, I know it can be frustrating, but you are doing the right thing, you should feel good about that!

In the last 3 months my weight has varied from 143 to 172, 29 pounds and most of that has been water or other non-fat causes. I think I am on the extreme of it, but we all have gains and losses that are not fat related. Have you tried a % body fat measure, or just physical measurements? Sometimes that can be more informative than scale weight.

Hang in here with us, you will be happier for it! So will we.

Week 9 Update:

Start Weight: 268.8

Last Week - 254.3
This Week - 254.3

Lost this week: 0.0 lbs
Total Lost: -14.5 lbs

Achievements This Week: Stagnation Indignation

Exercise:
Power 90 (old school) - Mon, Wed, Fri (Did not do this week)
Ab routine - Tue, Thu, Sat (Did not do this week)
Additional - yardwork and walking (Plenty of)

Well another week gone. At least I didn't gain any weight. Last week's goal were:

1) Drink more electrolyte water
2) Add some fresh lemon juice to the mix
3) Do the inversion yoga pose
4) With all of the yard work going on, 7000 steps felt pretty good this week. I'll try it another.

I did all of these! #1 - I feel better in general and have more energy and my muscles aren't as twitchy. #2 - I'm not crazy about the lemon. I need to remind myself why I am doing it again lol. I also need some kind of manual juicer to make the process easier. #3 - I see the importance of elevating my legs since I tend to swell, but the pose made my lower back hurt. I think it is out anyway and I had a very hard time getting off the floor. I may look for some other alternative like a cushion for the bed or something so I still get benefits, but make it easier on this old bod. #4 - I can't say I was perfect. Some days were only around 4000. Like yesterday, I worked in the backyard for 2 hours but I only registered about 4000 steps for the day. I did a lot of work, but not necessarily a lot of walking around. So I just need to take it all in "stride". LOL.

Goals this week: I want to track some key items to see if there are any trends. It'll be something like this:

Weight, Calories, Water, Sodium, Steps, Exercise, Duration

We'll see how it goes. Well I hope everyone has a great week! I'll check back in here if anything interesting comes up.

I may as well diet, because time is going to pass whether I want it to or not.

Hi Tom :) I must´ve missed the inversion pose thing last week: very few people could stay in those poses long enough to help with leg swelling. The lymphatic system just doesn´t work that quickly. Lying down with a pillow below your lower legs (where your feet are higher than your knees and your slightly bent knees are higher than your slightly bent hips) for half ab hour is probably more useful.
7000 steps in a day is great progress though!
I may as well diet, because time is going to pass whether I want it to or not.
True. The sad thing is that for most of us sticking our heads in the sand means more and more weight gain. Maintenance is a lot better than that (even if it isn´t fun), especially when you´re getting more energy and feeling better along the way.

Hi Tom :) I must´ve missed the inversion pose thing last week: very few people could stay in those poses long enough to help with leg swelling. The lymphatic system just doesn´t work that quickly. Lying down with a pillow below your lower legs (where your feet are higher than your knees and your slightly bent knees are higher than your slightly bent hips) for half ab hour is probably more useful.
7000 steps in a day is great progress though!

True. The sad thing is that for most of us sticking our heads in the sand means more and more weight gain. Maintenance is a lot better than that (even if it isn´t fun), especially when you´re getting more energy and feeling better along the way.

I was trying to do 20 mins as suggested, but I can't so I'm on the lookout for an economical pillow like you describe. I think it will be way better in the long run.

Not Quite There, But Close

NSV

I've been threatening to do this for a couple of weeks now, but I finally did it. I currently wear pants 40 x 30 (yeah I got short legs). They are really baggy and I have to wear a belt, otherwise, I do the drop trouse imitation. Today, I tried on 38 x 30. Overall, they felt pretty good. I did have to suck in my gut to get them fastened, so they are a little too snug around the waist, but other than that, they fit pretty good otherwise. So I'm thinking another 5 to 10 pounds and I can transition into them with no problems.

Calorie Deficit and Me

I would like to lose about 2 lbs a week (knowing the scales has its own ideas and weight will slow as I lose. <-- is that a myth?) .

I went to calculator.net and put in my stats -

Sedentary (little or no exercise) - 56 age, 5' 8" height, 251.5 current weight. It shows at 1834 calories a day, I should lose 1 lb a week

Light ( exercise 1 to 3 times a week,. 15 to 30 mins of elevated heart rate activity),
56 age, 5' 8" height, 251.5 current weight. It shows at 2175 calories a day, I should lose 1 lb a week, 1675 calories to lose 2 lbs a week.

Moderate (exercise 4 to 5 times a week, 45 to 120 mins of elevated heart rate activity), 56 age, 5' 8" height, 251.5 current weight. It shows at 2347 calories a day, I should lose 1 lb a week, 1847 calories to lose 2 lbs a week.

So what I do is 1800 calories a day. I walk some if not every single day. I mow once a week. I edge once a week. We live on a corner lot, so it is the size of two regular lots. So I'm mowing the equivalent of 2 yards at a time, and likewise, I usually edge the next day to break it up. With a 10 minute break, It takes about 1 hour to mow. I get in about 4000-5000 steps while I'm mowing. Every day I try and get at least 7000 steps in. A lot of times, it is only 5000. But let's say 7000. I go out and deliberately walk a mile three times a day. It takes about 20 minutes and I get about 2200 steps. They say about 2000, but I have short legs lol. I imagine Kermit the Frog would take even more. So my activity is usually about 1 to 2 hours a day. So days it could be more, some days it could be less.

So........is my activity level considered light or moderate or some kind of hybrid? I know none of this is going to perfect, and quite frankly I could care less. I'm just trying to make sure when I shoot for a calorie range I know what I'm getting or theoretically should get. At any rate, it looks like I should lose 1 to 2 pounds a week. Right?

Congratulations on being able to zip up those pants! You must be doing something right.
I'd put your activity level at light on non-mowing days and moderate on mowing days. But as you say it's a guess at best. Try the 1800 kcal/day for two to three weeks (is there a specific part of your body that's prone to water retention you could measure for a rough idea of how seriously you should take the scales on any given day?), see how you do and adjust from there.

knowing the scales has its own ideas and weight will slow as I lose. <-- is that a myth?
In order to avoid that you'd have to either keep dropping your calories as you lose body mass or keep adding activity and most folks don't do that.

Congratulations on being able to zip up those pants! You must be doing something right.
I'd put your activity level at light on non-mowing days and moderate on mowing days. But as you say it's a guess at best. Try the 1800 kcal/day for two to three weeks (is there a specific part of your body that's prone to water retention you could measure for a rough idea of how seriously you should take the scales on any given day?), see how you do and adjust from there.

In order to avoid that you'd have to either keep dropping your calories as you lose body mass or keep adding activity and most folks don't do that.

That sounds like a fair estimate. I've been doing the 1800 kcal/day since the start so that's about 9 weeks now. As long as I am losing, I'm good with it. it doesn't seem to be too many nor too few. I don't feel like I am constantly starving, but I notice I am hungry. My feet and calves are what swells. And I can see the difference. If I sit too much, then there is pressure on the backs of my thighs. I've tried sitting on pillows or donuts, that kind of thing. I have measured multiple times and my calves really don't seem to be a great deal bigger or smaller. If I walk, then I won't retain as much or if I lie down, my calves will go down. So it's like they swell up some during the day and then go down at night. I have a clock app on my PC to remind me to get up every 30 minutes, but as of late for some reason it isn't popping up. I hate to say this but I need a recliner lol. I can't be up walking around all of the time. There has to be some balance. That's why my current strat is to walk 3 times a day, spaced out. I know I can feel my shoes fitting tight and then go for a walk and they will be loser. So walking definitely helps. but with heat and ingrown toenails, it isn't always fun.

Back