Whisper's Diary

Week 5 Update:

Start Weight: 268.8

Last Week - 258.1
This Week - 255.1

Lost this week: -3.0 lbs
Total Lost: -13.7 lbs

Achievements This Week: Lost 5% body weight (5.2% lost)

Exercise:
Power 90 (old school) - Mon, Wed, Fri (Did not do this week)
Ab routine - Tue, Thu, Sat (Did not do this week)
Additional - yardwork and walking (Plenty of)

I felt pretty sick this week. The allergy stuff is really killing me and one day I felt like I had vertigo and took a pill. I also do yard work which makes me feel like having the flu for a couple of days. I do wear a mask, but it doesn't seem to help much. The weather is all kinds of weird. The temperatures have been cool so far ranging from 80 to below. It has been raining TONS. I looked the other day and it had rained 7 out of the past 9 days. And looking at the calendar we have rain chances for the next 10 days. We have had a summer like this before and it stayed cool all summer. Maybe it will this time too. At any rate, it makes the humidity high and I sweat a lot so have to stay hydrated.

I'm a little concerned about losing too quickly (maybe I shouldn't be). So far through 5 weeks, I am averaging -2.7 pounds a week which seems unbelievable to me. Before I lost at an average of -1.3 over the course of 5 months. I figure the weight loss will slow down. I am getting a lot of yard work in though. I'm currently at 1800 calories a day so I'm not starving by any stretch. On the other hand, averaging -2.5 pounds a week would land me on or near my goal weight by the end of the year.

Hi Tom - Your diary is compelling. I have many of the same goals and challenges. One thing I've done is decide on a few positive behaviors I will do daily, and measure my success by how often I do them.

I'm doing Intermittent Fasting (just started today) and walking as 2 of my proactive behaviors. I may measure the # of minutes I walk, but I don't plan to micro-manage each activity. Basically, if I did a good brisk walk, that'll be a win. For the IF, I'll work toward 12 hrs of fasting and 12 hrs of eating window (12/12) as a daily win. At this time, I'm not even going to worry about what I eat and the portions - because I expect these things will come into alignment with time.

My 2 current goals are fairly easy to achieve, but at the same time, I wasn't doing either of them until recently. So, they are an improvement over current state. If I keep meeting these small daily goals, I trust that the weight will come off.

I'd love to be at my goal weight, but that # is very far away. I think you said that you weigh twice weekly, which is about what I plan to do. I know how the # on the scale doesn't always keep up with the good work we do on eating and exercise. So, the scale won't be my yardstick.

One thing that overwhelms me is food prep. So, I've simplified by sticking with a few basics: bananas, which i cut up & freeze and add to my protein shakes for an ice creamy feel. Apples for munching. I like apples because they last a long time in the fridge.

Veggies is mainly 1 bunch of celery and 2 lbs of baby carrots each shopping trip - which is about every 5-6 days. Very easy prep. I mix the 2 crudites in a large bowl so I have that little variety available all the time. No salads at home for me. Too much prep with washing and spinning. And if I don't eat it quickly, it goes bad. Not having salad at home makes me enjoy a salad when I go out.

I also buy frozen broccoli and green beans. Fresh would be better, but I rarely make the time to do the prep work, and then the veggies go bad. These are nice to add to rice dishes (I'm currently avoiding wheat as an experiment).

Cabbage is another veggie which is cheap, filling, and keeps a good while in the fridge. Nappa cabbage would even work raw/as a salad base but basically all other cabbages make good slaw.

Hi Tom - Your diary is compelling. I have many of the same goals and challenges. One thing I've done is decide on a few positive behaviors I will do daily, and measure my success by how often I do them.

It's funny you mentioned positive behaviors daily. In my spreadsheet, I have a 30 day challenge of behaviors I check. If I do most of them, I'm doing pretty well. I slip from time to time like yesterday, but generally do well with them. Attached is a screenshot hopefully.

I'm doing Intermittent Fasting (just started today) and walking as 2 of my proactive behaviors. I may measure the # of minutes I walk, but I don't plan to micro-manage each activity. Basically, if I did a good brisk walk, that'll be a win. For the IF, I'll work toward 12 hrs of fasting and 12 hrs of eating window (12/12) as a daily win. At this time, I'm not even going to worry about what I eat and the portions - because I expect these things will come into alignment with time.

I haven't intentionally done fasting, but I find I don't usually eat after 8 or 9 at night and not again until 8 or 9 in the morning so I'm not sure if that counts for me or not.

My 2 current goals are fairly easy to achieve, but at the same time, I wasn't doing either of them until recently. So, they are an improvement over current state. If I keep meeting these small daily goals, I trust that the weight will come off.

Good for you! Usually, if I get overwhelmed, I break everything down into smaller manageable goals. Right now, I focus mainly on my calorie count. If I get some exercise and hit my calorie goal, then I know I am losing weight regardless of what the scale says. It will catch up eventually.

I'd love to be at my goal weight, but that # is very far away. I think you said that you weigh twice weekly, which is about what I plan to do. I know how the # on the scale doesn't always keep up with the good work we do on eating and exercise. So, the scale won't be my yardstick

Yeah, the scale doesn't tell the truth or at least the whole truth in my opinion. I do count on it, but not nearly as much before. I was weighing on Thursday (usually an indicator of how I'm doing. If I am up on Thursday then I probably will be on Sunday and vice versa.) Then I weigh either on Saturday or Sunday for the official weight of the week. But lately, I joined the weigh yourself everyday thread. It was scary at first, but now it's a tool to see how my weight fluctuates and it can wildly depending on how I eat (mainly sodium) and exercise. Now I know if I eat badly and gain 4 lbs it wasn't because I ate that many extra calories, it was because I had too much sodium and retained water. It comes back off once I eat better again. So there's a lot to it, but sadly I still count the scale more than I should.

One thing that overwhelms me is food prep. So, I've simplified by sticking with a few basics: bananas, which i cut up & freeze and add to my protein shakes for an ice creamy feel. Apples for munching. I like apples because they last a long time in the fridge.

Veggies is mainly 1 bunch of celery and 2 lbs of baby carrots each shopping trip - which is about every 5-6 days. Very easy prep. I mix the 2 crudites in a large bowl so I have that little variety available all the time. No salads at home for me. Too much prep with washing and spinning. And if I don't eat it quickly, it goes bad. Not having salad at home makes me enjoy a salad when I go out.

I also buy frozen broccoli and green beans. Fresh would be better, but I rarely make the time to do the prep work, and then the veggies go bad. These are nice to add to rice dishes (I'm currently avoiding wheat as an experiment).

Food prep is difficult for me too. I usually try and limit it to 2 times a week. I cook for 3 to 4 days at a time - Making mainly my carb I'm going to have as well as meat. Meat takes the longest. Usually, if I prepare ahead of time with the carb and meat, putting vegetables together isn't a big deal. Still, it's a chore.

Attachments

• Screenshot (13).png
    Screenshot (13).png
    133.6 KB · Views: 3
You are really into the swing of things now & it's great to see your progress. It wouldn't hurt to add something extra in on a really active day, so long as it is healthy. Maybe a piece of fruit, like a banana.
I love herbal tea, but teabags don't cut it. Like instant coffee, they just seem like floor scrapings to me. I do buy my tea from an online company & can send you the link by pm, but it may be an idea to go into a health food shop & buy some in small portions. Looseleaf is the way to go. Start with peppermint. Buy a little infuser or a stainless steel insulated wall teapot. I make mixed brews with a little bit of a few different teas, & top the pot up. What I don't drink I then chill & my husband loves to drink it cold. Peppermint is my favourite though. He likes drinking "normal" tea (English Breakfast) so when he wants one of those I have peppermint. It helps clear your sinuses & is also good for your digestion.

You are really into the swing of things now & it's great to see your progress. It wouldn't hurt to add something extra in on a really active day, so long as it is healthy. Maybe a piece of fruit, like a banana.
I love herbal tea, but teabags don't cut it. Like instant coffee, they just seem like floor scrapings to me. I do buy my tea from an online company & can send you the link by pm, but it may be an idea to go into a health food shop & buy some in small portions. Looseleaf is the way to go. Start with peppermint. Buy a little infuser or a stainless steel insulated wall teapot. I make mixed brews with a little bit of a few different teas, & top the pot up. What I don't drink I then chill & my husband loves to drink it cold. Peppermint is my favourite though. He likes drinking "normal" tea (English Breakfast) so when he wants one of those I have peppermint. It helps clear your sinuses & is also good for your digestion.

Thanks. I feel like I am getting everything down for the long haul. Other than being exhausted (it could be caused from many things and not that unusual for what I'm doing), I feel like things are pretty good and although the way I'm eating isn't 100% perfect, it is sustainable. Today I'm just not that hungry and finished around 1600. I can't do bananas, but I did have a few pieces of watermelon today. I prefer berries. I do try and mix up my calories also so not everyday is the same amount. Like maybe, 1900, 1800, 1600, etc.

I'll have to try some of the teas. I used to drink tea all the time, but it was just the standard black tea or maybe occassionally a little green tea.. Oooooo...I really need to try peppermint then to see if it helps with my sinuses and digestion. For digestion, I think I am going to incorporate some sauerkraut also. It's supposed to be good for digestion. I could add like a tablespoon at meals.

Well May 2021 is over. I did really well. I can't believe it. I lost -13.7 pounds. Usually, I lose weight really slow. Anyway, rain. At one point, it had rained 10 days in a row with a total of 16 out of 25 days. I don't have an update. I know it has rained several days since then. Just means, that I haven't been outside walking or doing yard work much. I've done some. The grass has to be mowed regardless of the rain. It isn't supposed to rain today so maybe it'll be barely okay for tomorrow afternoon. I don't know. It rained like a monsoon last night. I want to exercise, but at the same time I am so exhausted, I can't hardly move. I think what happens is if I eat good for a long time, then when I eat bad I get sick. Then if I eat bad for a long time, then I get sick if I eat good. If that makes sense. It takes a long time for my body to adjust. Eventually, it will. It's just getting used to eating not nearly as much sodium, sugar, and fat, and carbs for that matter. Still, I'm dragging my carcass around today and see what happens. I don't have any big plans for this week except to hit my calorie count.

I think what happens is if I eat good for a long time, then when I eat bad I get sick. Then if I eat bad for a long time, then I get sick if I eat good. If that makes sense.
Yes, makes sense; I know the feeling. Bodies are creatures of habit.

Bodies are creatures of habit. Soon your body will be saying thank you & will reward you with more energy.
I got my delivery of loose tea yesterday & thought of you. This is how I buy my peppermint tea-
1622589837974.png
If you buy a small amount of peppermint tea somewhere & like it, I buy mine from iherb.

Bodies are creatures of habit. Soon your body will be saying thank you & will reward you with more energy.
I got my delivery of loose tea yesterday & thought of you. This is how I buy my peppermint tea-
View attachment 44110
If you buy a small amount of peppermint tea somewhere & like it, I buy mine from iherb.

I'm going to try and remind myself the next time I go to the store.

Walking. As of yesterday, I decided to make the goal of walking at least 10k steps a day. I usually can make it about a mile before I feel like I am done. So there will be multiple exercise sessions throughout the day. One thing I hate is leg and feet swelling. As I sit they swell so hopefully walking on a regular basis will help in this respect. I used to work in an office and sat all day so I'm aware of what is going on, but still I don't like it much. I love walking, but it isn't always pleasant. My legs and feet are achy sometimes. I'm generally smaller on my left side than on my right and I tend to lean to the left which causes additional strain on that side. I have ingrown toenails. I have in the past gone and got a pedi and she would take care of the problem. I haven't had the money in quite a while so will have to try something myself this time. I know this probably sounds like moaning and groaning, but actually I am hopeful. I've read a bit about circulation and walking seems to be recommended. Besides, I'd like to get in shape enough to walk 5K's in the future so I gotta get past feeling like I am going to keel over at the 1 kilometer mark lol.

How many steps are you currently getting again? 10,000 steps a day is a fine goal (although completely random, no matter how often it is recommended) but if you jump up there too quickly you may get hurt. I hope you manage to fix your toenails: I had the same problem decades ago and it was so painful!

How many steps are you currently getting again? 10,000 steps a day is a fine goal (although completely random, no matter how often it is recommended) but if you jump up there too quickly you may get hurt. I hope you manage to fix your toenails: I had the same problem decades ago and it was so painful!

On the average, I probably get between 3000 and 5000 a day except for days I mow and then it is closer to 8000. I'll admit 10k a day at this point is a hard goal for me.

I have my Fitbit goal at 5000 & am happy when I do more. I found 10000 way too much for me & I felt like a failure. I know other people try to get 10,000 +, but I'm not other people. I wasn't getting much else done when that was my focus.

I have my Fitbit goal at 5000 & am happy when I do more. I found 10000 way too much for me & I felt like a failure. I know other people try to get 10,000 +, but I'm not other people. I wasn't getting much else done when that was my focus.

I did about 6400 today and was fine with that. I don't feel nearly as tired. Some of that included yard work. we have a pretty big yard so it's 600 steps to walk down one side and back. I get plenty tired from the yard work as is so cutting back is fine with me. Maybe as I lose more weight it will become easier.

If your normal days are 5000 steps at best than a 6400 day is a 28% increase. That´s a lot, great work!

Officially got 6835 total. I did yard work yesterday so on days I do yard work it is relatively easy to get 6000. Today I think I will skip yard work so I can feel a little better (starting Sunday I can put limbs out for the city to pick up so I will getting a lot more exercise this next week). So today steps will be me primarily making an effort to walk.

Back