What motivates you?

Son Yli

Hi All - I'm curious to learn what motivates you to lose weight? Why are you on this weight loss journey? Is it due to health reasons, because you're not happy with how you look, because you don't fit into your favorite clothes anymore, because you want to get a handle on your diet, because you want to meet a fitness goal... or something else? There may even be overlapping motivations. Just wondering what motivates you to move your body and focus on your eating habits?

My main motivations are to stay healthy and not develop a health condition, and also how I look and how I feel about the way I look. I feel most confident and comfortable in my body when I am at my ideal weight. I also don't want physical limitations to get in the way of what I do for movement (eg: I enjoy hiking and running and want to keep being able to do so).

Hi, Son Yii & welcome to the forum. I think all of the above for me. You have a healthy outlook and that should hold you in good stead throughout your life. Well done :)

I used to be thin and malnourished. What motivates me is of course, I want to be like superman! :p

I just want to be sick-free. That is why I want my body to keep moving.

For me it's the health reasons.
I don't want to be in the list of diseases that occur due to obesity.

My daughters , my oldest daughter isnt very active even though I tried very much to get her to b. Sometimes I fell I didn’t try hard enough. But with my youngest, anytime I workout or exercise I make sure she with me. She’s very active multiple sports. But I want them both to be healthy. So they’re my motivation

For me it is that I miss the attention I was getting was I was fit and thin, yes I know I am an attention seeker :D:D:D:D:D:D

I want to loose 100lbs weight. After 5yrs of binge eating I have gained 7stone. Now I am active walker and Eat plenty of Salad and drink black coffee .Works

Hi Son Yi,

My situation may well be very different to the “norm.”

I was very fit once upon a time but found myself in an abusive relationship (I’m one of the very few men who will admit this but it’s a lot more common that one may think). My mental health deteriorated and physical health followed suit. 18 months ago my wife gave me the best gift she could - freedom. I found myself on my own. I’m now in a new relationship (healthy) and I’m essentially keen to live the life I used to. I’ve always enjoyed being very active so I’m working up to getting back to the activity level I used to be at. This has meant and will continue to mean weight loss and overall health improvements.

Overall ... Happiness is my motivation. That and arrogance. I HAVE to show my ex that she did not beat me. She may have held me down but I got back up and I’m staying up this time.

I listen to Snow patrol/Coldplay in the mornings or when I feel bored -out-of-my-mind,Not eating takeaways motivates me.It took me 2months to stop eating takeaways and fizzy drinks.And now I do not want a coke-a-cola or chocolate bars! its St.Patricks day on Sunday and I will be treating myself to the cinema and eating some high fibre popcorn :p I am over 12stone and want to get back to 112lbs. "Eat to live not live to eat"

My Petdog "Lizza" make feels me active all the time, because of her i am regular for my workout and i pay attention toward fitness. Daily 1 hour i go on walk morning and evening along with her the central park, we play , do jogging and walk together.

health ...and vanity... i was tired of hearing Americans are all fat. along a similar line... in the past i've learned the names of all 44 presidents along with the dates of their terms, all 50 states and all 50 state capitals because i was tired of hearing that green card holders know more about US history than natural born US citizens.

Financial, I have worked hard and am now starting retirement. I want to live long enough to enjoy my savings!

Other folks, I would hate to die too young and leave my wife and family prematurely.

My own happiness, which is closely tied to health.

That's all I can think of now, but I believe it's enough.

The times I've been the most motivated and successful have been when I had a real health issue to overcome. The first time was when my A1C, the measurement for type 2 diabetes that most doctors follow, went haywire and I had to bring my blood sugar under control or else. I managed to do that and lose 110 pounds over a couple of years. Then my husband became ill and in the two years his health spiraled down to his passing I regained 50 of those pounds. My blood sugar is okay but I have developed knee problems and I am determined to lose at least that 50 pounds and maybe more if I can. My doctor is thrilled. She said every pound I lose takes 4 pounds of pressure off my knees. So I'm now back on track and losing weight. It would have been better to get motivated BEFORE I developed health issues but better late than never.

My main motivations are to stay healthy and not develop a health condition, and also how I look and how I feel about the way I look. I feel most confident and comfortable in my body when I am at my ideal weight. I also don't want physical limitations to get in the way of what I do for movement

My main motive for weight loss is to stay healthy and get a good diet. I just want to meet my fitness goal and health improvements.

Good luck Gaurav.

You’re in the right place. Lots of supportive people here and lots of experience. Have you had a look through the diary section? Most people here stick mainly to the diaries. You might like to start one of your own. The more you participate in others diaries the more you’ll get in return too.

Welcome!

Back