Cohen's Lifestyle What exactly is Cohens?

Prefix for Cohen's Lifestyle
Rob- Firstly I must apologise as I only read this post this morning. After moving my diary over to the general diary section, I rarely come back over here & don't get any email notifications. You seem to be doing really well, having lost 12.4kg already. Cohen's is very strict, but I am very glad that I followed the program. There were lots more clinics in Aust back then, including one in Tasmania. Only 2 left in Vic? What a shame!
I'll read over your diary & catch up with you in there! Cheers, Cate

Thanks Cate.

I am currently on holidays in the US and am amazed at how many buffet food outlets there are. We actually found one called sweet tomatoes (?) and found that the salads and soups were fantastic. Who'd have though of eating salad at a buffet :D

Would like to consider the Cohens diet when i get back. I do like following a strict regime and will look more into it. Will be interesting to see what i have put back on (hoping no more than 2-3kgs) and trying to be very careful.

Thanks again Cate.

Thank you for explaining what it is. I had never heard of it.

No exercise needed? Interesting. I'm curious, do you have to check your blood levels regularly, or can just changing diet be enough?

I know that it worked for me when I did it 9 years ago. I lost 36kg in 28 weeks & I really did not exercise in that time. I had regular blood tests as a part of it. (One detected that I was drinking too much water.) Maybe I would have lost it on any calorie restricted diet...who knows. I needed the rigidity of the diet. It is very strict. I do think diet is the most important aspect if you want to lose weight but when I got to my goal weight I incorporated regular exercise as it's important for general health & also for keeping your metabolism up. I don't think that I would have the motivation to do Cohen's now but I am grateful for what I learned while following it back then. Perhaps regaining 36kg would do it, but that is not going to happen.

The Paris diet is a three-step slimming plan, which - according to its author, Dr Cohen - allows you to quickly get rid of overweight, and after the end of slimming treatment gradually return to a normal way of eating without the yo-yo effect.
Who is the Parisian diet for?
Paris diet is meant for the so-called dietetic addicts: people who are on an eternal diet, trying unsuccessfully to get rid of excess weight, and also for those who managed to lose weight, but fell victim to the yo-yo effect and consequently regained all lost kilos, and additionally gained several more. People who intend to lose weight and want to avoid weight fluctuations can also go on a Parisian diet.
The rules of the Paris diet
The goal of the Paris diet is to get the "Right Weight", which is "you can achieve without fear, that you will start accumulating another unnecessary kilograms when you return to the normal way of eating". Therefore, the duration of the slimming treatment depends on the difference between your current weight and the target weight. On average, the weight loss diet for Dr. Cohen is 2 months, during which you go through three phases of weight loss: Café, Bistro and Gourmet.
Three stages of the Paris diet
Café phase (optional)
The "café" phase is designed ONLY for healthy people, because it imposes a very strict dietary regime. Therefore, you MUST NOT start a Paris diet from the Cafe phase, but go straight to the Bistro phase.
The Café phase lasts 8-10 days, during which you provide 700-800 kcal daily to the body. Thanks to this, the weight loss rate is very fast and amounts to approx. 0.5 kg per day. During this stage of weight loss, you should consume low-calorie dishes, preferably in the form of soups, cocktails and purees. It is also necessary to take multivitamin and magnesium preparations to avoid fatigue, mental crisis and physical ailments, e.g. muscle spasms.
IMPORTANT! After the Café phase, it is inadvisable to return to a normal way of eating, because it is a yo-yo effect. If you decide to start a Parisian diet from the Café phase, after finishing it, go straight to the Bistro phase. If you feel that you are not able to continue the Café phase, you can go to the Bistro phase.
>>> Recipes creating a menu in the Café phase
Bistro phase
The Bistro phase is fast and not much less restrictive than the Café phase, because the daily number of calories you deliver to the body varies from 900 to 1000. In this phase, you lose from 3.5 to 5 kg in 2-3 weeks, thanks to the rich meals mainly in protein and fiber. During this stage of weight loss, you should also take multivitamins and magnesium.
The Bistro phase contains three types of menus that you can use alternately within 3 weeks of your diet to break the monotony. You can also change the menu components to your liking, using the list of substitutes arranged by Dr. Cohen.
SEE >> RECIPES of the second phase of the Paris diet
Gourmet phase
The "Gourmet" phase should be used until the target body weight is achieved (on average it is the period of the month). According to Dr. Cohen, "this phase was designed to satisfy the palate". To this end, the dietician has developed 5 different styles of menus (Gourmet: Classic, Potato, Noodly, Sandwich, Vegetarian). Therefore, you will find in them products widely considered as fattening, but during the Gourmet phase you continue to supply the body with a small amount of calories (on average, 1100-1200 kcal per day) - all through minimal food portions. Just like in the Bistro phase, you can lose weight from 3.5 to 5 kg.
CHECK >> WHAT CAN YOU EAT in the third phase of the Paris diet?
During Cohen's diet you can eat fast-food, but ...
Dr. Cohen emphasizes that it is important to keep common sense and moderation, both in eating and in reducing it. Therefore, it allows for a moment of weakness in which you can be tempted by a burger, nuggets, a slice of pizza or a sandwich from a fast-food bar. However, he recommends giving up appetizers and additives, such as fries, sweet drinks, and instead of traditional pizza, he recommends choosing a thin crust, preferably a vegetarian one.
How to avoid the yo-yo effect and lose a hard-earned figure?
After the diet is finished, the number of so-called full, freely composed meals. As Dr Cohen explains, a freely composed meal is one whose two parts you choose (appetizer, main course) are composed as you like, according to the principle "eat what you want", but the third part remains dietetic. If you eat more than 2 freely composed meals, it means that you eat in excess and you are on the way to the yo-yo effect.
For the first two weeks after the end of the diet you must follow the rules of the Gourmet phase, but you can allow yourself 3 full, freely composed meals in WEEK. Only after 2 consecutive weeks can you increase this amount to 5. If your correct weight does not change, you can continue to increase the number of meals, until you eat 9 free meals a week and 5 low calorie diet plan proposed by Dr. Cohen. According to the dietitian, only in this way will you maintain your dream figure after the end of weight loss.

If this is the same Dr Cohen I think he has lost the plot. This is SO far removed from the healthy food I consumed when I followed this program, that I can't imagine it is the same Dr Cohen.

Back