Weight Loss Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jambang

A very quick introduction.

Hi, I'm a new member here, came across this site on Google. It's obvious why I am here, I am overweight and really need some help in losing it. I am a small 5 ft 6 male at 20 years old who has piled on the pounds in the past year as I began a night shift and could not stop eating. I was hungry all the time and never completely adjusted to the change of sleeping pattern therefore I always felt hungry no matter what period in the day. I was also drinking large amounts of Coca Cola, Lucozade and Red Bull to keep myself awake. I was horrified when I checked the scales and saw that I had put on 3 stone since April 2012. I was 10 stone 1 now I stand at 13 stone 3. Stretch marks have returned on my stomach and near my armpit. I need to do something about it immediately.

Cannot travel to the gym as the nearest one is way too far from my current location. Will have to do whatever I can in the comfort of my own home. Bought a Stationery Bike a week ago and some weights would that be enough to shed them excess pounds? The stomach size is not the biggest concern as my thighs/butt seem huge. Not really normal for a man unless you are 30 stone and 6 ft 5. I require help. I can only really do things around the house at the minute. In the middle of nowhere and it's the UK. Aye, it's freezing and wet.

I would be looking to lose as much as possible within the next 2-3 months. So I would like to start straight away. I just need some advice on what exercise I could do? What food could I eat (not that good of a cook and not a fan of salad) and yeah stuff like that. Definitely need to lose weight on the stomach and the thighs/butt. If the stationery bike is a good option how long should I use it for per day? I'm determined to lose what I've put on. I just don't know the best way. If there are any exercises I could do at home to lose weight on the stomach and the thighs/butt quickly without having to spend extra money on equipment it would be nice to hear from you. I need some help urgently.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Seems that I posted this in the wrong section. My apologies. Is this forum dead by the way? Not a single response as of yet.

Welcome to the forum.

Posting your question in the wrong section did not help you get a response. Many people feel wary of commenting in the health conditions section if they have little medical knowledge and no health conditions to contend with.
Either the newcomer section or the exercise section would have been much better.

I have moved your posting to the exercise section in the hope of it being seen.

Welcome to the forum.

Cutting out all those soft drinks should be a first step. Initially you could replace them with "diet" drinks - but really - water is the best thing to drink. At 185 pounds, your BMI is 28.13 - so it is certainly a good idea to try to shed some weight. I tend to recommend that someone your weight should be drinking 93 ounces of water per day which is covered off nicely with 3 litres.

Healthy eating at the right calorie level is really required - so lean protein and lots of fruit and vegetables without calorie laden sauces should really help with that.

It often means that you cut off the skin or visible fat from meat to try to cut those calories...

Fish can be a good option too...

I use things like fry light to cut the fat that I add to food when cooking.

Switch dairy to the low fat version - so you can have things like skimmed milk and low fat or fat free yoghurts. You can make up sugar free jelly to satisfy a sweet tooth.

You can switch sugar to granulated sweetener to save calories too... Be wary that a lot of breakfast cereal have lots of sugar added so this increases the calories... If choosing cereal - I tend to opt for stuff like weetabix. Be careful of portion sizes too... A lot of foods anticipate people having tiny portions - so it can be a good idea to weigh food to see exactly what a portion is supposed to look like... I found that I had always considered a double portion to be standard...

As far as exercise goes - I am sure that someone else can give you some pointers... I reckon that the exercise bike sounds pretty good to me - but am certainly no expert regarding exercise... I know lots of people that have done really well using one of those... I must admit that I lost 12 stone in my main project and the main exercise that I used was outdoor walking every day... As the weight comes off it will come off all over - and your body will pretty much choose where so it should come off all the areas that are concerning you. As I understand - you do not really spot reduce away the fat via exercise - but improved muscle tone in problem areas make the areas look better. I also know lots of people that swear by free weights so I do not think that you need to worry about needing expensive options.

Well thanks for the reply.

I have started to eat healthier. Well eating less than I usually do and have cut out all the crap like take-aways, pizza's, Coca Cola.

I just need to know for sure about the exercise as I don't want to start something see no results and then give up and become 2 stone fatter in a matter of months. I really need that helpful advice. Losing weight on the stomach and the thighs/butt is really important to me. I just need the exercise regime to do that and lose as many pounds/stones within the next few months. Then continue to eat healthily and exercise to maintain that weight.

Help would once again be great.

Hey Jambang, welcome to the forum!

I know you have already started your weight-loss journey, but here's a thing to keep in mind that has really helped me keep going down the road of losing weight:

I tried losing weight back in 2012. I started off with going to the gym every day and changed my eating habits. But, after losing 15lbs I got really tired of going to the gym and decided to take a week off. And that's when my bad eating habits came back and I gained all the weight back + 10lbs. I became really depressed and hated myself for a long time...

Skip ahead to 2013 and I decided to try again, but this time I would take it slower. I started on Jan 10th, and just changed my breakfast routine for that week. I gave enough time that I became comfortable in eating healthy in the morning that I added a healthy lunch and a week later started eating healthy dinners. The past few weeks I just started hitting the gym up, and am only gonna do three-times-a-week routine.

So, what I learned is you gotta start off sloooow. You can't change your entire lifestyle in a day and expect to keep at it for a long period of time. Like I tell everyone that ask me how I lost all this weight and still manage to keep losing it, it's a lifestyle change. And you gotta focus on the NOW, not how long it's gonna take for you to lose the weight. If you think too far ahead, you are more likely to become discouraged and just give up.

Granted, there are some people that can immediately change there whole lifestyle and be fine. My brother was one of these people and I was always jealous that he could do that. :ack2:

Lastly, except the fact that your gonna mess up. You gotta look at it like this: If you eat one bad meal, don't be in the mindset of "Hey, I messed up and I might as well just eat what I want for the rest of the day and start over tomorrow." This was me in 2013, I would eat one bad meal and throw the entire day away.
And that's how I gained ALL my weight back and more. You have to be mentally prepared to except defeat and to keep eating right. Do you REALLY want to lose that weight? Ask yourself this question right now, if yes, than ask yourself this: Can I except the fact that I'm gonna mess up? Yes?

After every bad meal, run these questions through your mind and you will find that if you really want to lose the weight, you will. Just know that tomorrow is another day and always a fresh new start. :D

Last edited:
When I decided to start losing weight a little over 3 years ago, I started working out at home. Not that the gym was that far away for me, but really didn't want to start out in a gym, being selfconscious about my appearance and weight.

I started to do P90 (short for Power 90, a 90 day fitness programm by beachbody.com) at home (actually I started with P90X (x for extreme), that lasted about a whole 10 minutes before I decided I wasn't ready for that by a long shot :) ). P90 was perfect for me, you don't need any equipment and it is specifically meant for people like me (back then off course :p ) with a very low basic fitness level.
After a I completed P90 a few times , I continued with P90m (Power 90 Master).

Coupled with good nutrition I managed to lose about 30 kg (about 70 lbs, dunno how much that is in stone) in under a year. So yes you can get results with working out at home , but don't expect to be where you want to be in a few months, despite the tell-sell promises of P90/P90M/P90X and similar work-out programs.
Weight loss is a lenghty process, so don't be discouraged by slow progress or even gaining weight now and then.

yù welcome

Store-bought salad dressings can be packed with calories. Make your own vinaigrette and store it in a small spray bottle to coat your greens without over-dressing them. Resistance bands are a comfortable and affordable at-home exercise option for strength straining.

Use the freezer to add some extra oomph to summer foods. Freeze grapes for some bite-sized delights. Or get a popsicle mold and freeze some Greek yogurt with berries.
Wrap up any extra food you've cooked before you sit down to a meal so you're not tempted to get seconds.
Take a 30-second break in the middle of your meal. Evaluate just how hungry you still are before getting back to your food.

Some exercises can be done in home,practice yoga,walking,when ever you feel hungry eat healthy food less in fat and calories.Don't stop the practice and don't loose hope also.

Keep :)

Just by eliminating the junk foods alone, sugar drinks, excessively oily fat laden foods alone will cause a good weight drop. Also use one of the online calculators to get you in the ballpark of just how many calories you need daily, learn the calorie content of what your eating.

For exercise, do what you enjoy, walking? running? biking? the more intense the more fat burned. It must be done regularly remember, you can wipe out a good workout by eating it all back on and more in one meal.

Hi,,,

If you are unable to go to gym then here are few simple tips,,,,

<link removed as it broke forum rules>

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a few easy swaps -

Sugar free squash instead of Carbonated soft drinks
Fruits such as melon, pineapple, mango for variety when you crave something sweet.

I totally agree with regular drinking of green tea.. Helps a lot in weight loss. :)

Green tea has no proven effect on weight loss. It can fill you up and stop you from feeling hungry, but you can achieve the same effect with plain water.

Keeping healthy habits like consuming high fibres,high proteins,avoiding junk and unhealthy foods. Keeping a track of metabolic rate and thus maintaining it. Including Green Tea may help in providing aid in increasing metabolism and making healthy within.

I would recommend eating more frequently! What do I mean by that? 3 smaller portion meals throughout the day or night (whatever your current schedule is) then have 2 snacks in between meals. I have clients that have done this and have lost tremendous weight. Most people believe that the less calories you consume the more you will lose weight and that is simply not 100% the case. It has to do with what type of calories and how frequent. Doing this simple step will help speed up your metabolism and burn more fat. Continue riding your bike and staying active. Both of these will equal better health. Good luck!

<link removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing information regarding weight loss which is a big issues now a days because of eating junk foods and hectic work routines.

what is a good vitaimin to help with weight loss?? my friend is taking brown seaweed and she said someone told her th at it was good for her to take that.. also i heared that green tea is a good for weight loss..

There is no vitamin that 'helps' with weight loss, and neither sea weed nor green tea are vitamins. Seaweed is full of nutrients and rather healthy, but doesn't have any impact on weight loss. Neither does green tea. It tastes good, it's healthy, but it won't make you lose weight any quicker.

Experts recommend making both dietary changes and getting more physical activity for the best results. If you are fatty, then regardless of your gender, you need to concentrate on losing fat first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back