weight conversion

allcdnboy1

1 kilogram = 2.2 pounds
1 stone = 14 pounds

... one of these days i will add a converter onto this site, but for now, you can go to:

to do the conversion.

This is a great site for all your conversions needs (even some you never heard of):

CriminalTactic said:
Who uses stones? why not be simple and use pounds. .. ?

Why not be real simple, and use kilogram? THe metric system is by far easier to calculate with, and much more practical.

Oddly enough, I do enjoy the differences in weight calculations.

As for who uses stones, I know some people who do. When I say a persons weight in kg or lbs to them, they haven't got the foggiest clue what weightrange I'm actually talking about.

AllCdnBoy said:
1 kilogram = 2.2 pounds
1 stone = 14 pounds

... one of these days i will add a converter onto this site, but for now, you can go to:

to do the conversion.

That converter can't be right. It says the following:

1 ton = 2000 pounds
1 metric ton (tonne) = 1000 kilograms

But considering one kilogram = 2.2 pounds, one ton is 2200 pounds.

Pardon my ignorance, but apart from the metric ton, which other ton are there? As much info as possible on that would be great :)

I'm from the UK and I know it would be easier if we all used kilograms, or pounds, but to be honest I think we are all used to how we have always viewed our weight. I have to admit that kilograms mean very little to me, and also I have to get my calculator out if I want to work out my total pounds!:D On my scales it says stones and pounds (e.g.12.12). I watch programs like The Biggest Loser and I'm constantly thinking, 'How many stone is that?'.

One thing I heard that I thought was very amusing was someone on Celebrity Fit Club said 'I love the way they measure your weight in kilograms now, because it means nothing to me, so I can't get depressed about how much I weigh' :D

On a side note, I was converting Kilojoules to calories the other day on convert-me.com and noticed they had other energy conversions.
Heres some fun facts you may enjoy.

a large McDonalds triple thick shake is 1140 calories
A couple of big macs is (560x2) 1120 calories
KFC 2 pieces of chicken and chips is (390+390+472) 1252 calories

When entering 1kg of TNT into energy conversion its equivalent to 1102 calories.

This means the energy output of 1kg of TNT is less than all the above mentioned foods ... and you wonder why we're fat :D

cubi said:
That converter can't be right. It says the following:

1 ton = 2000 pounds
1 metric ton (tonne) = 1000 kilograms

But considering one kilogram = 2.2 pounds, one ton is 2200 pounds.

Pardon my ignorance, but apart from the metric ton, which other ton are there? As much info as possible on that would be great :)

The converter IS right. The metric ton and the ton are different:

tons: United States measurement also known as a short ton that equals 2,000 pounds

tons (metric): (European spelling: tonne) A unit of weight equal to 1,000 kilograms, or 2,204.6 pounds.

Everyone must also remember you get different types of calories. Obviously we work with "Nutritional" ones. The google converter is not the nutritional one, so don't type "5000 kilojoules to calories" as it'll give you a ridiculous number.

Speaking about calories and nutrition - and I apologize if this is a bit off topic, but this has been bothering me awhile - but why is it that when you compare the nutritional guide (in canada anyways) on a bottle of diet pepsi and a bottle of water, they are the same???

Just FYI even though this is an old thread.
Google has a built in converter for currency/mass/length etc
Just type in something like "1oz in grams" or "5 miles in kilometers" and it will give you the answer in an instant! its easy and comes in handy.

It would be really nice if you were able to hover your mouse over a text with someone's weight and the conversion is displayed in the other commonly used systems. For example, if you write "100 kg" / "100 kilogram" in your post, that the interpreter recognizes this and add the text "220 lb, 15.7 stone". You might even go one step further and let users decide which system they want to see in their settings, and then automatically replace the posts so that it matches that preference.

Back