Urgent Help Needed JIB BYPASS REVISION

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClaudeO

I had the jejunal ileal bypass surgery in 1974 at the age of 17 i lied about my age and did not tell my parents until the day of surgery i weighed 460 plus pounds at the time i now weigh 260 and have been this weight for 30 years plus, the problems i am having and the pain get worse and worse day by time sometimes so bad if i had any hair left it all fell out i would pull it out, all the doctors Ive been to either discount what I'm telling them its the JLB and need reversed and they want to look for everything else, Ive had a ton of colostomies, or they are weight loss surgeons and want to reverse it and give me some thing else which I DO NOT WANT, and it seems here in Georgia they go that route and cant get it approved by insurance as the insurance wont cover weight loss , well i don't want weight loss surgery i want to be put back the way i was in 1974 or as close to it as possible the damage has been done and i simply don't want it to get any worse i am almost 50 and life expectancy for this is 55 , i don't care, if i get fat again i am 50 with grandchildren and i wont live to see them grow up this way if i get fat so be it at least i wont be in pain with what i have now i need a REVERSAL plain and simple someone out there must know about this and can help. It seems for what ever reason the doctors want to look for every possible cause of these problems except the for what it is i have researched this and if 500 people who had this and still have it or had a revision had the same EXACT problems i know have it would seem to me to be pretty obvious what the problem is and not something someone who never had this surgery might have. The doctors are looking for everything but what the problem is does anyone know of a doctor? or are you a doctor who knows about this in Georgia? Please contact me as soon as possible at I need your help! Thanks Claude Osborne Some of the problems i am having but not limited to these.

I need a revision from a JLB i had in 1974 the symptoms are but not limited to these.

Severe burning of rectal tissues due to the release of gastric acids during bowel movements.

Severe dumping on average bowel movements of approx 20 times per 24 hour period.

Severe Arthritis over my entire body not limited to one area.

I am dizzy and have had potassium deficiencies as well as B-12 deficiencies.

I have been hospitalized quite a few times for malnutrition and for dehydration.

I am bloated and know that a large amount of bacteria has formed in the unused intestinal tract and my system is breaking down.

JIB bypass 30 + years also

Well I know what your going through. I have had some really bad times and then years without really bad times. Since December I have been again having some bad times with the gas, bloting, dumping syndrome ect ect.
I really like my doctor however I have had to educate him some on what needs to be done and luckly he listens. I guess my question would be what have you tried as far as therapy (antibiotics?). I hope we can help each other in this as I don't want to undergo reconection but it may come to that.
Let me hear from you
Gary
gjpipes@msn.com

gpipes said:
Well I know what your going through. I have had some really bad times and then years without really bad times. Since December I have been again having some bad times with the gas, bloting, dumping syndrome ect ect.
I really like my doctor however I have had to educate him some on what needs to be done and luckly he listens. I guess my question would be what have you tried as far as therapy (antibiotics?). I hope we can help each other in this as I don't want to undergo reconection but it may come to that.
Let me hear from you
Gary
gjpipes@msn.com
Hi Gary :
Your one of the first men, besides myself Ive seen to have this , i was fine up till about 5 or 6 yrs ago then it has started all going downhill, i will tell you though id do it again bad as it is now it changed my life for sure, that and plus the fact id have been dead long ago i know from the weight, my cousin Donna had it one year after i did and she passed away from it about 10 years ago, i however think her lifestyle had some to do with it a lot of partying for 25 yrs after the operation and with the liver problems we are apt to have she was bound to have had some issues there.
Would enjoy talking to you perhaps we can arrange a time to talk on the phone.
Claude

ClaudeO Would love to talk

Do you have MSN or Yahoo? Phone is great but a bit more costly. I was in a research program that paid for my operation. At that time I was headed for med school but I changed course into biotechnology. Would love to hear from you.
Gary

JIB epidemic...

Hey all,
I guess you posed a while back, but I wanted to tell you to keep searching for information about reversal surgery. Your stories are very interesting to me. I am a first year medical student, and one of my first patients was a woman who had a JIB in 1972. She ended up with liver failure, and when I met her she had just been put on a transplant list. I was unaware that there was a whole post JIB syndrome, and will do my best to get back to you with information I can dig up. I know there is a reattachment surgery, which may help with the B12 and the ion deficiencies.
best of luck,
RR

ps- I have to say though that it is really important for a doctor to rule out every other possible cause of your symptoms before coming to rest on something like your JIB surgery. Reversal is a big step. That's what they teach us at any rate: Build a differnential, then eliminate. Some things simply take time to figure out.

Last edited:
ClaudeO wrote
I am bloated and know that a large amount of bacteria has formed in the unused intestinal tract and my system is breaking down.

Hi, Claude

You might want to consider taking a Pro Biotic, like acidolpus or the like. You can find them in the refridgerator section at a local health food store.

For what I hear the best way to take it, is take the full daily dose all at once and do it till your bottle runs out. Then do it ever 3-4 months.

This should help to regulate some healthy flora in your intestinal tract.

Just my opinion, good luck.

Possible antibiotic therpy for JIB patients

I have posted before and had post JIB dumping syndrome for almost 2years 30 yrs post-op. I am a protein biochemist and I have been working with a doctor at UCLA who is well versed in all the weight loss surgeries currently in practice. We have looked at my general health issues (there are none thank god). I have tried many of the probiotics with some success but not enough to live without antibiotics. Receintly I began a course of Xifaxan 1200mg/day 14 days followed by 600mg/day 14 days. Xifaxan is not absorbed into the blood stream so it has much less sestemic side effects. I found this treatment to be unsatisfactory long term so I returned to Flagyl 600mg/day. This antibiotic has been fairly satisfactory long term but has some serious neuralogical side effects.
After just a week of returning to Flagyl I stopped taking it (not by choice) and found that I felt even better then when on it. I have disscussed this situation with my doctor and it seems clear that the combined effect of the two different antibiotics had decreased the overgrowth more effectivly then just the one. We are now looking into alternating these two antibiotics when symptoms do re-appear to try and test this theory. I just wanted to put this information out there for other JIB patients that may be suffering from similar symptoms. Gary gjpipes@msn.com

Hi to all,

I'm looking for some help for my best friend who is critically ill now (she's at a rehab after leaving the hospital) because of the JIB which she had as a teenager close to 40 yrs. ago, though she had been pretty well 'till now, never taking meds, just supplements. She was taken to the hospital semi unconscious with liver failure. She never knew her liver was so sick because of the JIB and no Dr. had said anything like this at the time of her surgery to decide whether she'd have it done or not, or later. She's got a minor son. Could you let us know if you know of good places where a reversal is done? Have you seen anyone who had it done after a long time?

Please any help or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. All the best in health and God bless.

Thanks, please let us know anytime you may hear of someone having had continuity re-established. All the best.

Hello Ms. Osborne and other threaders,

My name is Nicholas and my mother is being treated in hospital now for dehydration and a bacterial infection in her intestines.

She had the JIB procedure done when she was 23 in 1975 for weight control. Since then, she has developed severe arthritis, recurring oxelate kidney stones, mineral deficincies, fatigue and chronic loose bowel movements. It has been getting progressively worse to the point where she has trouble eating by getting full very quickly and experiences severe gas and bloating 24/7. I finally think enough is enough and have begun the search for a JIB reversal. I found a doctor at Beth Israel in NY, Dr. Elliot Goodman who is a bariatric surgeon who is capable of performing the surgery and who is encouraging it. My mother does not have medical insurance and the procedure would

cost between 20-25,000. Any help out there or other ideas ?

Hope this helps.

Nick Cullen

NJ/ME

Just wanted to know how your friend is doing. I am having issues with my jib.
Andrea I found a Dr. who is going to reverse my JIB are you still ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back