This is why I hate Biggest Loser

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always like the show for the simple reason that it would inspire me to get up and do something. Seeing very large, obese people doing the kind of workouts they do would really put it in perspective for me.

Though I know the high weight loss they experience is unhealthy, not to mention the kind of stress they're putting on their body by working out at such a high intensity.

It also doesn't seem like a great life to live. Eating like 1200 calories a day and working out for hours? It's obvious why so many can't keep the weight off. No one can do that in the real world!

When I first saw this show I was like WoW good for all these peolpe getting their weight finally under control even if it was on a tv show. It saddens me to know that many of them regained there weight and that the show itself was just a money making scheme again.

I believe the show will do more harm then good for most people, sure it could motivate you to get into shape, it may keep reminding you that you need to lose weight and eat healthy, but they go to extreme's.

I wonder how many people saw the show, figured hey I could lose 10-15 pounds a week, then try to and only lose 2-3 which is great and then quit because they aren't getting fast enough results.

Yes, on The Biggest Loser, contestants weight loss is sped up 10-fold. What a very successful person might lose in one month, a Biggest Loser will lose in one week. I wouldn't say that the contestants learn much as they are forced into that lifestyle. I feel that just about anyone would succeed under those circumstances. I feel that they should use their game money towards a full time trainer when they get home! Maybe some do!

I'm going to play Devil's advocate here, and just say not all of the contestants gain the weight back. A bunch of them have kept it off, and have even made careers spun off from their success on BL.

I'm also not sure losing 41 lbs when you're over 600 lbs is that big of a stretch. I'm sure all that fat holds a ton of water, and a good percentage of that was water weight rather, and not all fat, if much at all was fat.

While for those of us who don't have the entire day to devote to our weight loss BL isn't a good real life example, it does provide some good insight, some good tips, in addition to being inspiring.

People who watch BL for the most part aren't idiots. The general public is smarter than they are given credit for. I think the bulk of ppl who watch BL understand these are not real world circumstances, or results, and I don't really think the show is misleading in that respect. It is after all, a game. People know that.

Whoa! 41 lbs in a week! Seriously?!? How can that even be possible? I don't think he's losing weight in a healthy way. I don't like to watch this show because I find the trainers really cruel to those who wanted to lose weight. Yea true pushing them to their limits is enough but maybe not to the point of drastically losing weight. *sigh*

I highly doubt that it was actually 41 pounds in one week. If you've noticed, they don't do the "initial weight" weigh in at the ranch, it's done before the contestants even get out there. I've read that there is up to a month between that first weigh in and the week one weigh in. That's part of the reason they always put crazy numbers up the first week, they've been working on it at home while they get things ready to go to the ranch.

It may be the week one weigh in, but it took more that one week to lose all that.

One of these days one of the contestants on the show is going to get seriously injured, and then what? I like the show, but it really gives people a false sense of hope when they see people dropping 41 pounds in a week. We are a society of instant gratification and I think that is what many people expect when they begin working out after seeing this kind of result. Media at its best I guess.

I've seen this show and always feel concerned that they won't be able to sustain the intense lifestyle after they leave 'camp' and return to their real lives.

It would be nice to see a '2 yrs on' type show. I feel that the producers are very selective when they bring people back periodically.

One of these days one of the contestants on the show is going to get seriously injured, and then what? I like the show, but it really gives people a false sense of hope when they see people dropping 41 pounds in a week. We are a society of instant gratification and I think that is what many people expect when they begin working out after seeing this kind of result. Media at its best I guess.

I agree, no one should watch that show expecting the same thing. They made the show purely for entertainment purposes ONLY (and to make money). It's sickening to think how those people are when they get off the show and they are back to normal life, how low they must get when faced with the task of continuing weight loss and not knowing how to.

I really like it too. Like everything in the weightloss world you should take it with a grain of salt. The trainers have openly said in interviews that it's not an actual week. Numerous ones have stated it's more likely a two week to a month period. It's just TV land. I find the show motivating, and like others have stated on here I learn things and put it to use in my own life.

I used to watch this kind of shows, but i would only watch them for the motivation/inspiration they can provide.

As for the actual participants, they have acquired a new lifestyle but i highly doubt they will be able to sustain it for long. (I do not know the actual procedures, but i will assume it consist of massive calorie deficits, and extreme exercise)

The problem is, besides the risk to the health involved, once they get off the program, things will get harder, they wont have their personal trainers to help them, and they will have to deal with what got them fat in the first place. So, i just hope they'll be able to maintain a healthy lifestyle once the show is over and the fame is gone.

It would be nice to see a '2 yrs on' type show. I feel that the producers are very selective when they bring people back periodically.

That would be a great idea. Or to bring back all past contestants (so not 'cherry picking' the best results) to visit every new series, and we can all see then how they've managed after leaving TBL.

I am always interested when people lose these huge amounts of weight how they change mentally. I mean, what psychological support is provided - I want to hear about how they think about their relationship with food, and how that can be changed.

i watch this show for ideas on what to do and entertainment and somewhat motivation. I don't look at their results then mine and say hmm im not doing well i only lost 1lbs when they lost 40lbs in the week. I know what they are doing isnt practical for my life lol but it is skeptical to see someone lose 40lbs in one week

I agree. I like the motivation the show gives you. It's like watching an action movie.... sure 90 percent of what your seeing is not practical but that doesn't mean it's not motivating. It's like watching Ninja Warrior chances are I'm never getting past the first two obstacles but thinking about it when training in the gym can have a positive effect in lighting the fire under my assignment and help me push a little harder.

True but being that only 5 percent of people that lose weight actually keep it off that's true for most methods.

I'm not one to make a lot of excuses for myself. I got heavy because I lacked the discipline to prioritize my health and control my weight, sure I very well may be at a biological disadvantage, however that only means that additional discipline and commitment are required not that it is impossible. If we cannot committe ourselves to lifelong change then this is all in vain folks. Many contestants on that show busted their butts to make radical transformations but they failed to grasp that it was a life long endurance race and not a sprint and done.

Yes the suffered medibalic damage, yes they burn less calories then people the same size sometimes to the tune of 600kcal a day. I will even say it's inevitable that they will gain back some weight over what they are at in the end however I will also say for those that put back on say over 50 percent of the weight they lost, if you where to look at their lifestyle and eating habits you would find that they have in many ways turned back to their old ways of eating and have not maintained a solid exercise regiment.

We all have to be honest with ourselves. We have to look at obesity as a treatable but incurable disease. When treatment stops we are in trouble. I'm not saying it's fair I'm not saying it's right I'm saying that's the cards that some of us where dealt. These people treated the disease and failed to grasp that it was not a cure. When treatment stopped the disease won.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back