This is why I hate Biggest Loser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jericho

41 in one week. Show me how that is in anyway healthy. This show has changed into this beast of unrealistic and down right unhealthy weight loss.

... Holy shit :/

I've heard things like the weigh ins aren't actually done every week, more like every fortnight or month, and people cheat at their initial weigh in by drinking lots of water so that they weigh heavier and overall will 'lose' more weight so that they win.

Either way, it's simply an unrealistic view of how weight loss should be handled - exercising until you pass out or can't stand up any more and eating only 1000 calories per day is just not doable in the real world. No wonder these people have problems losing the weight by themselves and maintaining their weight after the show finishes.

No wonder these people have problems losing the weight by themselves and maintaining their weight after the show finishes.

I think the programme is simply entertainment but can be quite destructive because it sets a standard for weight loss that is pretty much impossible, impractical, potentially dangerous and unrealistic.

I've never heard anything about the contestants post the programme and have sometimes wondered what happens to them post the show. What have you heard?

I think the programme is simply entertainment but can be quite destructive because it sets a standard for weight loss that is pretty much impossible, impractical, potentially dangerous and unrealistic.

I've never heard anything about the contestants post the programme and have sometimes wondered what happens to them post the show. What have you heard?

Most of them have regained the weight.

Most of them have regained the weight.

That doesn't surprise me. I didn't see how making weight loss a contest for money, beating the hell out of people, dropping weight at a ridiculous and dangerous speed while failing to entrench long term behaviours was ever going to work.

It's a pretty cynical programme.

Exercise and physical activity are part of their program. The insaneness of the Biggest Loser program is that they put the contestants through a rigorous diet and training program that could not be followed in a normal life. This is precisely the reason why so many of the contestants regain all the weight that they lost.

The show should focus more on establishing a diet that is maintainable for the rest of their lives but then i suppose it should be a year long television show rather then a single season.

41 in one week. Show me how that is in anyway healthy. This show has changed into this beast of unrealistic and down right unhealthy weight loss.

Well, he started at 646lbs so I suppose from such a starting point it's perhaps not so utterly unrealistic.

That is still some crazy number however you look at it.

Hey J

I also think Biggest Loser does a grave injustice to the general population concerning wight loss. Too much empasis on losing weight fast,anything over 3LBS a week is unsustainable,and may not be fat loss. People do not need to lose muscle mass while trying to become fit and healthy. People also do not want ot feel hungry all the time while becoming fit. People also do not want to suffer while while training or working out as they become fit.

Biggest Loser shows people losing unhealthy amounts of weight,( most likely some muscle mass included). They make a race out of it. Healthy lifestyle changes are a marathon, not a sprint.

Biggest Loser shows people suffering during workouts that are too intense for most people in the general population to sustain. Hire a competent personal tariner knowlegeable about balanced nutrution and designing workouts that allow for challenges in fitness without demoralizing the client.

There is so much misinformation on how to become fit and healthy out there. the general population does not want to work at a natural slow paced lifestyle change. Marketers know this and continue to swamp the public with unhealthy, unsafe dietary aids and diets.

Always hated that show, the way they push people... no human should be treat like that :smash:
LOL....... you should the marines.
And I'm still sticking to my theory that he was wearing lead underwear, and maybe lead shoe liners too.
Really..... 41 lbs.... simply not possible.

Last edited:
I love the show. I view it for entertainment purposes only though. I may pick up a new exercise or two from it but thats about it.

i did read somewhere that a week is filmed over 2 weeks so that if they say it was a thursday it could be 1 of 2 weeks meaning they are bending the truth. as the show is edited, eg exercise thursday morning on the beach thursday afternoon, they are technically telling the truth but really they could be a week apart.

I also enjoy the show for entertainment and the fact that these people are having their lives changed. There are some good tips in there.
I know that their style of weight-loss is completely unrealistic, but it's just interesting to watch what they do. I do like watching the finale and seeing the transformation (and I'm always shocked/annoyed that they surpass me in weight-loss! :p)

About the 41 pounds, he must have drank a ton of water or was wearing lead underwear. That's crazy!

But they are not changing those people's lives, that's the problem. They are ripping them out of what they usually do, throw them into something that is not sustainable for more than two weeks, and then kick them back into their old lives as soon as the show is over. Those people don't really learn anything that will help them long term.

I think 90% of the time, the show does more damage than good.

I guess that is true. I suppose I only look at the contestants who continue to succeed. I'm not saying it's a reasonable program. It's not reasonable by any means. I don't know why, but Biggest Loser still inspires me.
(I was under the impression that they were told how to handle nutrition, but maybe I'm wrong)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back