Squat Chart

MarkoSrbija
1.50 - MarkoSrbija (300/200)
Just squatted 300 lbs,^^ and im still trying to achieve higher :)
1.50 - MarkoSrbija (300/200)

My current stats (this is my 5-rep PR; haven't attempted any 1RM's on squats this year):

198 - Goldfish

1.34 - Goldfish (198/147)

First post on this forum and I putting in my measly squat numbers. It 5 reps not a true 1RM though. Definitely needs improved on mind.

226 - Malky79
1.5 - Malky79 (226/176)

Cheers, yeah don't mean to be falsely modest but there some seriously big numbers up there. Pretty confident I could add on another 20kg and do a proper 1RM there.

Had tonsillitis last week which took a chunk out of my training and away on 2 week holiday next week. Got one more legs day before it, if feeling good might try and squeeze a 1RM lift in there.

My best squat is 255 k. With age 34.
Now, I' m 59, training at home, without spotters.
So I train until 180 k with good control of the weight and safety.
I´m not planning compete in next times.

My best squat is 255 k. With age 34.
Now, I' m 59, training at home, without spotters.
So I train until 180 k with good control of the weight and safety.
I´m not planning compete in next times.
Well done

@Trusylver and or @LaMaria or anyone with expertise.

I cannot compare to any of these weights, but I have a question for you.

I have been doing leg presses weekly, on a machine so the weight numbers would not mean much to you. I've been at it for a year and a half. Do other leg things too. I also do a lot of squats, without weight, between 60 and 120 a day, ~5 days a week.

Problem is my legs have started hurting, a kind of soreness that doesn't go away. I am also feeling more of the arthritis pain of late. Both legs, but not identically. I don't feel a lot of pain whilst exercising, and it doesn't limit what I can do, but afterwards it does hurt, same as before.

I stopped exercising for 9 days on vacation, in part to see if the pain would go away. It did not, no change.

Do you think it's exercise related? Would you cut back or reduce the leg exercises if you were me?

Not a debilitating problem, but it hurts and worse it worries me a bit. I am 69 years old, and just started weight lifting for the first time last year.

The trainer I use just says I should follow my pain and not push too hard. But I am not sure how to apply that advice here.

The first thought is you should not be significantly working the same muscles on back to back days. Secondly a lot depends on where the pain is and whether it is referred from somewhere else. If there is no pain during an exercise then you need to look further.

sorting out the pain cause is best done by seeing a Physiotherapist (Physical Therapist) in person as trainers or coaches it is our job to recognise when a problem is out of our scope of practice and refer out to the appropriate professional. The scope of a normal personal trainer is training a generally heathy population. Trainers, coaches and exercise physiologists cannot diagnose.

Good advice from Tru. In general I'd say that if a 9-day rest didn't reduce the pain it's unlikely to be straightforward overload. Could be referred pain from your back or hips, could be increased inflammation, could be something that doesn't occur to me unless I see you move.

@Trusylver and @LaMaria - Thanks for your replies, they are helpful, I appreciate your time. I know that nothing can be diagnosed through this forum, but your advice and suggestions are appreciated.

I did a leg day with the trainer yesterday. I explained what was going on and she did her best to help. Most exercises were fine, full weight with relatively painless reps. The one thing I could not do well were walking lunges, even starting without weight. She was watching and quickly she told me to stop and not to try anymore. I had gotten pretty good with the lunges, with weight, and no pain.

I also felt a bit of pain, less but more than normal, with the leg curls, the trainer had me try the 3 different machines in the gym and we found the one that hurt the least. She said that I did not seem to her to be moving much differently. I do however have a little trouble getting into and out of a chair, and worse getting up and down from the floor.

Things are a little better today, so my procrastination in doing something about it continues.

LaMa, do you agree with Tru, would a physical therapist be the right kind of professional to see?

The trainer is the only professional I have spoken with about this, and I know she is not a physical therapist or a doctor. However she has been doing this for over 30 years, has had plenty of training, is a good listener and tries. She also takes good notes, knows if I am getting stronger or not, and remembers whenever I have a compliant. A good lady. The gym is owned by a chiropractor, but I have always been skeptical, and the trainer does not seem to recommend him...

I have cut back on squats, only doing about 30 a day now, no more 100+ squat days for a while anyway. Squats do hurt at first but as I get going it gets better, something new they did not used to hurt at all. The trainer suggested I try doing fewer reps while holding weight.

I don't generally recommend chiropractors. Do you stretch your quads regularly? If you don't that might help a bit. I'd say a physical therapist would be a good place to start. If your complaints don't fit what they're used to seeing they should tell you what kind of doctor to see instead.

Back