Skurgeon’s Diary

Down 2 pounds already in December. Will be interesting what the second half and holidays turns out to be.

Do you have a plan for the holidays?

:D A good plan. I have no idea what we'll have for Christmas but knowing my mom there'll be several veggie options to fill up on.

Amazing work, congratulations! Getting close to having lost half your bodyweight :eek:

11 pounds away…. But it will take 11 weeks ….. if not longer…. Or maybe I don’t go that far.

I’m starting to get weirded out with all the compliments. You go from being ignored or seemingly invisible to having strangers starting conversations with you just based on your appearance.

At the gym I’ve had a half dozen women in the last 2 weeks come up to me and say something about my transformation. It’s super validating and nice especially because it’s strangers but we see each other almost everyday so the fact that they notice is nice.

I have good work benefits and I go to the dentist every three months for a cleaning. So they see me in these 3 month increments and it’s been wilder and wilder each time. The secretary, my hygienist, the dentist. They all are just over the top complimentary.

my work employees over 500 people and I still randomly run into someone who hasn’t seen in me in months and it’s just all they can talk about.

I had a fun one with a co-worker who hadn’t seen me in probably a year. I was working some overtime on a different shift with different people. I’m wearing coveralls (like everyone else…company provided with your name embroidered above one of the chest pockets. ) plus we’re all wearing masks and safety glasses, hearing protection etc…

so I walk into the small room she’s measuring parts in and she’s on the phone with the quality department. I walk up and give her information pertaining to her tasks and she’s on the phone looking at me like “Who the hell is this guy?”

so she hangs up a few seconds later and she’s just looking at me with her head tilted like a dog hearing a weird sound as I continue talking about this issue and that machine and the shipment that were trying to get done…..and all of a sudden her eyes behind the safety glasses went super wide and she shook her back and forth and then she freaked out! “OH MY GOD I HAD NO IDEA WHO YOU WERE! YOU LOOK AMAZING!.. WHAT THE $&#&@&#.”

It took time for me and I was only borderline obese. The compliments start out nice but after a while you start wondering what people thought of you before the weightloss. Or at least I did. But in reality the over the top reactions are about them, not you. You're just a real life focus.

It’s like I’m caught between two worlds. The “bigger” people in my life and the new ones that I meet I can relate to but now I think I’m an example that makes them uncomfortable. Especially when I’m not eating the same things as them when we’re together.

There are a few obese people at my work. A couple in particular who were not as big me (I was easily the biggest) but they were in the same area code. I never bring up weight loss with them and they have never mentioned my weight loss to me ever. No pun intended but I feel like there is an elephant in the room when we do have to converse about something. If someone brings up my weight loss and one of them is within earshot it makes me super uncomfortable. I’m hoping they one day broach the subject with me but I won’t initiate the conversation.

My perspective is really shifting with my weight loss too. When I first started at the gym there was a guy working out there regularly and I would think to myself “wow that guy is in great shape, lean and muscular… I couldn’t imagine reaching that level..”. Today I look at that same guy who kept his fitness up but now I’ve surpassed him and if I was to wake up tomorrow in his body I would probably think “oh this is terrible! Where are all my muscles?”

it’s really mind boggling.

I’m hoping they one day broach the subject with me but I won’t initiate the conversation.
Sensible. It can really be intimidating when someone else just goes and does the thing you´ve been trying to do (and have maybe given up on as impossible) for years. I´m sure it feels like a taunt to some people.
Today I look at that same guy who kept his fitness up but now I’ve surpassed him and if I was to wake up tomorrow in his body I would probably think “oh this is terrible! Where are all my muscles?”
Oh man that really is insane. Keep up the good work, regardless of weight.

I went through a similar thing when I lost lots of weight. The slim people were genuinely happy for me, the obese ones (who still are I might add) were uncomfortable. The ones who raved about how good I looked after pretty well ignoring up 'til then I saw as shallow & thought the same as LaMa. It's a very weird stage, Skurgeon, but one you should be proud of. I came in the forum so I could share my joy with people who understood & cheered me on & I could cheer them on in return.

I get that same shallow thought when women, who wouldn’t give me the time of day before, are suddenly open and friendly. But if I’m being honest I’m the same way with women I find attractive so I have to try and let those thoughts go.

Today is the 23 month mark since I started losing weight. Down exactly 190 pounds. If I can stay on track over the holidays I should be around the 194/195 pounds lost mark at my 2 year anniversary on January 22nd.

I realize it's getting repetitive but: that's amazing :party:
:iagree: with LaMa 👏

Back