Senior needs help with my work outs.

No cardio though.

We moved the office furniture from bedroom 3 to the new office (in basement) Saturday afternoon. 21 flights of stairs on my fitbit (LOL).
I finished cutting & installing the baseboard in the morning. A good miter saw & brad nailer made this quite easy. Need to get some better knee pads though. Kneeling on a knee replacement is very uncomfortable/painful.
Back in the gym last night for some cardio on elliptical machine.
Weighed in 214 lbs. Just 4 lbs to go!

Decided the change up my Tuesday & Thursday weights & cardio routine.
My half hour weights: 3 sets 10 reps & cardio: incline walking, or arc trainer.
Last night I switched to 5 sets x 5 reps, with intent to increase my strength a bit.
Incline walking on treadmill just isn't enough, & I cannot run due to (TKR) Knee replacement.
For cardio I moved to the stair climber/escalator. 15 minutes = 60 flights of stairs.
No problem getting my HR up to 140 bpm at 70 steps/minute.

You'd think I'd know better by now, I'm 64 not 30.
Tuesday's work out went well, so when I hit the stair climber I added 5 minutes.
So 20 minutes at 60-70 steps/minute, with 5 minutes cool down. Total 75 flights of stairs.
Found out that's just over half way up the CN Tower in Toronto. (144 flights)
Well today the calves & thighs are telling me "I over did it" .
The weekend is here, so I'll get a break working on the rec-room. (Painting & installing baseboard).

Didn't get to the gym last week. We had our grand-children with us for 6 days.
While I didn't get much cardio in, I did manage to burn over 4000 calories every day, at play grounds, mini-golf, beach, walking our dog Bella and so on.
My usual calorie expenditure is about 3200-3500 calories/day on my fitbit.

Weighed today & beat my 210 target weight by 1/2 lb.
I have not been this weight since high school football & college (47 years ago)
Now I see 200 lbs as next target. Can still pinch an inch on my lower abdomen( belly sides)
At gym last night, worked on the stair climber, 30 minutes, 100 flights, 400 calories.
Finished of with some chest press & lat bar weights 5 x 5.
Had a few minor calf cramps in bed last night, should probably be doing more post exercise stretching.

It's been a family journey to get in better shape this last year.
My wife also joined the gym last year, & both our daughter & son-in-law have taken up running.
They ran in Niagara Falls 1/2 Marathon, 1o K run last October.
Last Sunday our son in law just finished 15 th in local 1/2 marathon & daughter had a personal best in the 10K run.

Last night's cardio workout on the stair climber. at 60-68 steps/minute I finished 125 flights of stairs.
Not moving that fast but it kept my heart rate between 135-145 bpm.

Getting back to my routine this week. We had our grand kids with us again last week. Did not get out to the gym. Last weekend was our neice's wedding. Eating drinking, partying etc. need to get back on track.

View attachment 25736 Last night I was running late, so I cut my gym session short.
I opted for 30 minutes of high intensity cardio. ( I was not going flat out, but pushed harder than usual)
I actually managed to hit my max heart rate (for my age 60's= 160 bpm)

Decided to take a look back through my photos.
Here's some head shots from the past.
2012 on vacation in Cancun, Mexico
2017, March my 63 birthday
2018, August 11, at my niece's wedding.

Back