Senior needs help with my work outs.

Keeping up your leg strength is by far the most important thing right now. I don´t know if you take pain meds but don´t feel bad about doing so if it can keep you moving naturally for a couple more weeks. Better that than having antalgic posture produce more problems in the meantime. Sounds like you´re doing all you can to prep for surgery.

I take naproxen anti-inflammatory twice a day, and occasionally Tylenol when needed.
I had my blood work appointment & pre-op clinic this morning. Now it’s just waiting till I get the time for my surgery next Monday

One of my friends dances salsa regularly with her new hip.
No-one likes operations - but I've only heard people rave about the benefits once one is necessary.

[QUOTE="Omega, post: 1141483, member
No-one likes operations - but I've only heard people rave about the benefits once one is necessary.[/QUOTE]
This is my second replacement. I had my right knee replaced in Feb 2002. It’s doing well. I’ve been told recovery from a hip replacement is not as difficult as a knee. (Fingers crossed)

Both have pros and cons but hip replacement recovery got a LOT easier in the past 20 years. All fingers crossed!

Surgery went well as planned on Monday morning. I was on oxicoden first, which did nothing for the pain. They switched to a hydromorphone pump that worked, & let me sleep through the night. Tuesday morning I was in physio with walker and cane to demonstrate I could navigate & get up and down stairs. They sent me home after lunch on Tuesday. I have Tremadol and Tylenol to manage the pain. I do flexing exercises 4 times a day. Physio starts July 20 at the hospital outpatient clinic. I am doing well, I‘m frustrated with myself as I forget to have my grabber/ reach tool when getting dressed in the mornings. Now its just the healing & physio to get through.

I’m 8 days post-op and feeling better. Pain and stiffness in the thigh are improving. My pain meds are now at half original dosage. There is still some bruising on the lower back of my thigh, but flexing exercises going ok & I can do 10 reps 4 times per day now without discomfort. I sleep most of the night, but wake to empty my bladder a couple of times (the joys of being a senior). Not sure why , but last night I awoke, soaked in sweat. Was able to go back to sleep after a shower & my wife changed the sheets. Still getting around the house with a walker. I tried the cane yesterday, but the leg is not strong enough yet.

I appreciate all the kind comments. Thank you.

it's been years since i had my hip done and it was my first joint replacement. did you/ are you still using a walker? i imagine you still have staples in? when those get removed it was a relief when i didn't have to start a shower by Saran wrapping myself. if you aren't there already, i remember a day when i started feeling less pain than i was pre-op. sounds like you are doing ok.

Thanks Overlandflyer, yes I’m still using the walker. I don’t see my surgeon until next week to get the staples out. LOL yep I’m stretch-wrapping my butt too for showers.

Sounds like you´re improving nicely. I´m sure it´s nothing new to you, but just to be sure: if you say the leg isn´t yet strong enough for the cane do be sure to load it as much as you can while using the walker.

here is something i just thought about... i had let my bad hip go so long that when i finally did get comfortable with the replacement, i discovered i had lost the ability to balance myself very well on the associated foot. when i put on a pair of pants i found i still had to balance myself by holding on to something. i'm sure my hip operation was well over 4 years now and it hasn't been too long ago i finally began to be more confident in my balance.

i did pick up some information on this recently, though and apparently that is something age just normally plays a part in, too. simply standing on one foot (harder with your non-dominant side) for 30 seconds doesn't sound that hard, but if you haven't tried it in a while, you might be surprised.

I haven’t used the walker since Wednesday. I’m able to get around with the cane, even managed the seven steps down/up from our deck to our backyard. Mornings are still slow to get started, feeling stiff until I move around for a while. Looking forward to physio on Monday.

i did pick up some information on this recently, though and apparently that is something age just normally plays a part in, too. simply standing on one foot (harder with your non-dominant side) for 30 seconds doesn't sound that hard, but if you haven't tried it in a while, you might be surprised.
True, but it´s also something you can build back up again. If you can stand on one leg for a couple of seconds (without your leg twisting out of alignment, wobbling is ok though) you can start building up from there. If you can´t do it at all put one foot in front of the other (like you´re walking a tightrope) and start balancing from there. If you can stand for longer than 5-10 seconds you should try moving your eyes/head up and down or side to side so you´re not focusing on one specific point (which makes a big difference in balancing) and once you´re comfortable with that move on to closing your eyes completely (only in a safe environment where you won´t trip or twist your ankle when you suddenly have to take a side step or something like that). Most people are very reliant upon their vision when balancing and it can lead to trouble when it´s dark or someone suddenly calls their name while they´re walking and they turn their head without thinking. From what I know 5 minutes of training at a time are about the upper limit of usefulness - after that both concentration and the little muscles that do most of the work here are pretty much done.
I haven’t used the walker since Wednesday. I’m able to get around with the cane, even managed the seven steps down/up from our deck to our backyard. Mornings are still slow to get started, feeling stiff until I move around for a while. Looking forward to physio on Monday.
Sounds good to me :) Upward and onward.

True, but it´s also something you can build back up again. If you can stand on one leg for a couple of seconds (without your leg twisting out of alignment, wobbling is ok though) you can start building up from there. .....

:iagree: ... yup. i have been increasing my time on both legs... not where i want to be yet, but it's nice to see something improving these days.

Back