Senior needs help with my work outs.

Maybe you can show us some underwater photos sometime, Mike? :)

Here are a few shots from my vacation on Maui, last AprilIMG_E0126.JPGIMG_E0239.JPGP4230057.jpgIMG_0475.jpgIMG_E0488.JPGIMG_E0740.JPGIMG_E0738.JPG
The white tip reef sharks are from Mala Warf, Lahaina, & the frog fish, eel & hawks bill turtle are from Kahekili Beach Park.

enjoy
I'll be in Dominican Republic next week, hope to have more pics when I get back (Feb 12)

Mike D

Oh, how wonderful! The frogfish especially (for me) and of course the turtle (because turtles! so magic!) but also just for that amazing feel of underwater, with the surface above you, and silent sea-world all around. Thanks for these, and i look forward to those to come. :)

Here are a few more pics from last November in Antigua, while snorkeling pillars of Hercules, last pic is at stingray city.
Tru, asthmatics can typically snorkel, as long as they are A-symptomatic.
PB200039.JPGPB200041.JPGPB200042.JPGPB200043.JPGPB200049.JPGPB200053.JPG11-20-E 37r.jpg

Great pics again, Mike. I'm asthmatic & I love snorkelling. I snorkelled off the Great Barrier Reef on my birthday one year, with a Marine Biologist. It was wonderful!

I am quite muscular,currently 216 lbs,(98 kg) 5 ft 11" tall (180 cm).
I too have some education.
I am a seasoned athlete & have trained for over 40 years.
I received my 1st black belt in judo at the age of 17, competed nationally & internationaly for 20 years & only retired in 2002, when I had my knee replacement.
I am also an active scuba diver with over 2500 logged dives. (I have been teaching scuba diving for over 30 years & just recently retired, but still dive recreational).
Of course I'm concerned about joint & spinal health!

If you had cared to read my previous posts in this thread, you'd know I have been cutting for the last two years to drop my weight down from 260 lbs. (118 kg). AKA: diet, cardio, & relatively low weights with lots of reps.
As previously posted: I have just shifted my routine to strength building, because I'm having hip replacement surgery in the end of March 2020.
I know from experience I will loose muscle mass during my recovery/rehab period.
I lost almost 2 inches in my thigh circumference in the 1st month after my TKR.

I am very in tune with my body, & it's response to stimuli.
I do not train to failure: as stated above I only increase a load when I finish the sets & I feel there's still more left in the tank.
I do strive for clean form, if it's not, then the set isn't done. (perfect is subjective IMHO)
I actually read the entire thread several times over the last few months.

Using very low weight and low reps does not create muscular hypertrophy, the better way is to use time under tension, so 12-15 reps (typically a 35-45 second window for a set) and also progressive overload, and of course very, very good form with a mind muscle connection.

Training to failure on at least some sets if not most is excellent for creating muscular hypertrophy, but perfect form is equally if not more important.

Good luck with your goals, it sounds like you have made great progress.

Got back from Punta Cana Tuesday Feb 11. Met with my surgeon again yesterday (Feb 14) & my hip replacment is set for March 19.
Visibility was so-so while diving, I did dive the wreck of the Astra and a small nearby reef. The surge was heavy resulting in a lot of suspension particles (backskatter) in the water.
Here are a few pics the turned out "ok".DSCN0048r.jpgDSCN0059r.jpgDSCN0064r.jpgDSCN0082r.jpgDSCN0044r.jpgDSCN0045r.jpg

Attended my pre-op clinic, blood work etc session at the hospital yesterday. I am scheduled for my hip replacement surgery on March 19, but that may change. However we got home lat night to hear all public schools in Ontario are closed for the next 3 weeks due to the Covid-19. We are not a high risk area for Covid-19, but some hospitals are canceling elective surgeries. I haven't heard anything yet for our area, so fingers crossed.

It sounds like Ontario is being sensible shutting down the schools for a few weeks. Our silly government are playing wait and see.

It’s not that they’re overwhelmed, they’re reducing traffic in and out of the hospitals, to reduce chance of exposure since hospitals are the primary locations where sick go for testing.

The gym is shut down as well so we’re walking in our rural neighborhood. It’s uncomfortable after walking 3 km/ half hour. But that’s our only option for now.

If you can do so safely (without tripping or losing your balance): walking backwards for a bit really helps my hips when I have to sit a lot.

Back