🏋️‍♀️Science of Diet and Exercise Journal👩‍🎓

I'm glad you had such a lovely Christmas day, with no crappy presents, a happy child & a peachick. :beating:

checked the eggs under chook, proud mumma chook has one healthy peachick, the other one pipped but did not make it fully out of the egg.

unfortunately, it is survival of the fittest. incubator chick now has a couple of chicken chick companions, they are a couple of days older but as soon as they were introduce the peachick was showing who the boss of the brooder box is.

Peachicks normally learn to eat and drink from mum, so having companion chicks they take that role, lone chicks don't survive usually.

Any more chicks, Tru? Has it been ridiculously hot up there?

no more chicks, but our peahen is laying again, we will give it a few more days before incubating them,

It has not been super hot but it is very humid and getting monsoon rain, I think the weather is the cause of the unusual breeding season. This time last year the boys had lost their train (the fancy display feathers) and the breeding season was over.

chicks are doing well, the 5 meter center post for the flight cage was dropped off this morning by D's mate with a truck.

I have had a good training session this morning after an early trip to town to buy feed from the stock food supply store.

Food has been ok but I have probably eaten more cheese than is good for me lol

Also have been planning out in my head what I need for a new coop and run for the current batch of chicks. Mixing age groups, species and overcrowding can cause all sorts of disease problems, so need to build new run in the next month or 2 and will need another in 3-4 months.

When the new incubator arrives, it may be too late for this seasons pea eggs, but we have decided to help little miss hatch and raise chickens, probably silkies and sell the excess as there is quite a large market for fluffy pet chickens for kids.

There are a few breeds that may be a good option or not

Silky - docile, small fluffy, hard to tell the difference between male/female, broody, lots of colour choices
Sussex - large, docile, tendency to get fat, like being petted, ok for both eggs and meat, broody
Hamburg - not docile, not broody, look amazing

Had to look up Hamburg chickens - Google of course assumed I wanted to order a chicken burger for breakfast: they're stunning! How lovely that you guys are willing to put it in all that work for little Miss.

Had to look up Hamburg chickens - Google of course assumed I wanted to order a chicken burger for breakfast: they're stunning! How lovely that you guys are willing to put it in all that work for little Miss.
:rotflmao:hope you were not tempted to get burgers for breakfast.

We have lots of space, no other livestock, I don't want to get another dog because it hurts too much when they die after getting ticks so birds it is. Little miss loves animals and little kids learn a lot about responsibility and care for others when they have pets.

Being rural, having roosters is not a problem, we have a large unroofed pen which with a little bit of gate repair and a couple of fence holed patched will be fine for the bachelors wit enough space to avoid too much fighting.

I see a lot of posts in poultry groups where people have not thought about how to deal with the excess roosters or simply cannot have a rooster in town and need to rehome them after thinking the fluffy little chicks they purchased would all be hens.

The peacocks can be louder than any rooster when they feel like making a ruckus, especially if we have a stranger visiting.

Fun Fact: Peacocks make great watchdogs, and have often been used as a rural alarm system.

Raising chickens with little miss will be fun. She’ll love it! I love silkies.
Peacocks make a very loud noise!

When I was a kid I'd try to get any peacock to show his tail by imitating their sound as loudly as I could - my parents have the patience of saints...

In Austria rotisserie chicken is generally called Hähnchen (little cockerel) Because back in the day you wouldn't waste an egglayer for meat. These days some egg brands proudly advertise not killing off their male chicks but I sincerely hope they're not burdening their hens with a 1:1 ratio of hens and roosters.

Another very wet day, forecast is for a heat wave next week and there is a cyclone moving down the coast, at this stage it looks like it will move further south than us and just be a tropical storm when it crosses the coast, however predicting cyclones is hit and miss so to speak so if it move towards the coast early then we will be in the firing line, either way we are in for an extremely hot wet windy start to the new year.

I am also trying to avoid going into town as much as possible with Covid now in all of the small towns near us.

Cyclones AND viruses would be a bit much for everyone. Hope it all turns out ok. I think you're past midnight already? If so: happy New Year!

Happy & safe New Year, Tru. Cyclones & covid definitely sound like a terrible combination & a good time to hunker down!

1641005815966.png

This is the latest Cyclone track map, the end of the red line is where I am between Gympie and Fraser Island (K'gari). Obviously still days to go, the cyclone may weaken as shown and just be a severe tropical storm or it may continue to strengthen. It is interesting reading the cyclone chasers page and the BOM seem to match up well. I don't follow Higgins as he is all hype and clickbait.

It has been pissing down rain all day, I have never experienced a direct hit from a cyclone but we built our house to meet cyclone standards up to cat 3 as per local regulations and all of our bird pens have the same extra straps and bolts to meet the same standard, we have food and water stored, generator in working order as seen from our last power outage, Gas bottle is full for the BBQ. We have fuel and 2 chainsaws to deal with downed trees. Apparently the winds to the south of the eye will be more destructive,

Currently under a severe weather warning from BOM, time to just sit tight and wait.

The good:
Cyclone was downgraded to a low and should no longer be a major problem.
A Peachick hatched with some help this morning, it was shrink wrapped and had not made any progress from the night before, We assisted it to finish breaking out of shell, more eggs to put in after this chick comes out of incubator, the other eggs in this batch did not hatch.

The Bad: Heatwave conditions today

The Ugly: my chest is tight, sore and slightly congested again, time for an extra dose of Vit D and hope for the best.

Back