🏋️‍♀️Science of Diet and Exercise Journal👩‍🎓

The tyranny of distance unfortunately, most of the time we don't feel like we are too far away from anything but in reality the distances can be huge. I hate driving in cities but I can drive for hour after hour on country roads and the highway. I know it is probably not wise but on more than one occasion I have driven to Canberra in a single day.

Exam in the morning and I am done for the semester.

Our great southern land :) Diesel was interviewing Ivor Davies the other night & I have had Great Southern Land in my head since. Yay for last exam of the semester!

good morning all, exam is at 9am, my notes are organised and I have time to chill before the exam starts, confident about this one.

Then I have to clean up my gym (snake has made a mess again) before coaching this arvo.

I am looking into the costs for putting together an actual mobile gym, based around an enclosed trailer like a tall tradies trailer with a folding power cage and cable system attached to the side/back.

Excellent, I'm sure you aced it. A mobile gym sounds really cool; what would you use it for? Visiting clients at their home or more like small events?

before I can afford a gym trailer I am looking at something similar to this

hitchfit.jpg

A friend is going to talk to her neighbour about what it would likely cost to have something similar fabricated as this is not available in Aus.

I already do mobile coaching where I put the fitness stuff in my car and train the client in their own home. Which is fine for bands, light weights and whatever equipment the client has, but a rack with a pullup bar adds a lot more option and the ability to attach TRX straps.

A gym trailer would further expand options and allow for group training like at sports clubs etc.

Something like that would also be good advertising. It would really catch your eye. Glad your exams are done & dusted for a while. I would say you have deserved a break, but I doubt you will take it easy :)

Very cool! I wonder if personal training clients would be more or less annoying than patients...
I suspect it is probably mixed. The annoying ones are usually older men who think they know everything, but are the ones least likely to employ a female coach and I have no need to deal with them as I am rarely in a commercial gym where I need to suffer from their mansplaining.

The other day I was able to make an impact on a posse of male teens at my friends gym, their parents had signed the paperwork to say the boys knew what they were doing and did not want advice. Normally I do not advocate laughing at people but this posse of bad form decided to show off in front of the entire gym and then stuffed up their deadlift with the entire gym watching and laughing. My friend then pointed out my history as a champion and suggested that some advice would be helpful (up until this point they would not accept help from anybody)

I spent about half an hour just fixing some of the biggest safety problems (I had an hour to wait for little miss to finish her martial arts class) working on the 3 big lifts, son 3 came down from upstairs for a bit and they recognised him, he is a great model for demonstrating form and holding position while I explain stuff. I was not sure at the end of if any of it sunk in but the following day they spoke to my husband at school saying they saw son 3 at the gym and he was with an "Old Lady who really knew her stuff" and they learned a lot. This gave hubby a good chuckle as he explained that the old lady was his wife lol. It also tells me some of it sunk in which is rare when dealing with 16 year old boys.

Getting through to teens - Win
Making the gym a little safer - Win

Something like that would also be good advertising. It would really catch your eye. Glad your exams are done & dusted for a while. I would say you have deserved a break, but I doubt you will take it easy :)

I hope so, I have seen pics of a few city based mobile trainers with the gym trailers but there is nothing remotely like it here and the trailer is a big investment in the future but not now while my budget is tight. It is all about reaching my target market who don't want to go to the gym but want results that a gym can offer.

BIG wins! I will admit that I enjoy messing with the overconfident a little bit at work (in the sense of letting them experience the limits of their abilities) but I 100% don't bother at the gym. Kudos to you for putting in the time and effort; I hope you secretly got a good laugh out of it.

I spent about half an hour just fixing some of the biggest safety problems (I had an hour to wait for little miss to finish her martial arts class) working on the 3 big lifts, son 3 came down from upstairs for a bit and they recognised him, he is a great model for demonstrating form and holding position while I explain stuff. I was not sure at the end of if any of it sunk in but the following day they spoke to my husband at school saying they saw son 3 at the gym and he was with an "Old Lady who really knew her stuff" and they learned a lot. This gave hubby a good chuckle as he explained that the old lady was his wife lol. It also tells me some of it sunk in which is rare when dealing with 16 year old boys.

This is all wonderful, Tru! I just read that out to G & we both had a good laugh. Old lady indeed! Glad you got through & well done son 3 for being there to get their notice.

I seriously hate marketing and self promotion, it needs to be done but I am the worst person to be talking up my skills argh.

Could you write out what you want to say & get D to do the voice-over part? I really don't like the sound of my own voice & am not sure I could do it either. Just remember that you are very well qualified, Tru & have lots to offer anyone.

just a quick post before head out coaching, 2 peachicks hatched this morning out of 5 eggs, will see if any more hatch while I am out, when they dry and fluff up they will be moved to a hatch box so the incubator can be cleaned as we have about a dozen eggs to go in for the next batch, after which anymore eggs we will leave and see if one of our hens feels inclined to sit this year. so far they show no signs of going broody. Apparently a 20% hatch rate is about average for incubated peachicks but it is a bit hit and miss as to whether a hen is a good mother or not,

Self promotion is the worst. Cate is right though: you have so much to offer it would be a shame to not let people know about it.

A 20% hatch rate sounds awfully low. Is the nest hatch rate even worse? Makes you wonder how they ever survived in the wild, but then I suppose we've been farming them for thousands of years.

nest hatch rate is higher if you have a good hen, so far none of our hens have shown any interest in sitting, but some breeders have hens that produce a hoard of chick. we have plenty of eggs but each one has been layed in a different location even when the eggs are left in place.

time to go and coach again, I will probably post again later.

part of the problem I think is a combination of climate and most incubators are not good for controlling humidity with the humidity control being how much surface are of water is in them. the incubator we have now was very expensive but it has digital control of the humidity levels from a large reservoir, we have no need to open the incubator in the last 10 days of the hatch so less risk of loosing humidity and having the chicks shrink wrap in the shells. We have seen a much improved hatch rate this year.

humidity was set to %55 for this hatch going up to %65 in the last 4 days.

The current batch of eggs were the first to be laid and include to Decoy eggs which have less chance of hatching but it is always worth a try. At the start of a season the hens will lay a decoy egg away from the nest which may or may not be fertile, the trouble is our hens continue to lay all over the place even if we do not collect the eggs.

No more hatches this morning, will give it till tonight before we give up on the unhatched, move the chicks to the old incubator for the heat before going into a brooder box so we can clean the incubator and get the next batch of eggs started.

A hen can lay 20 or so eggs but will usually only sit on 4-6 in a season and we have 2 hens. A dozen eggs will go in the incubator for the next batch and we will leave any more eggs layed in their large flight pen and hope they settle on a spot and finally go broody.

Coaching went well last night with a few fun exercises using a medicine ball included rather than some more traditional exercises, so the young man can have fun training with his brother at home.

Back