Cohen's Lifestyle Recipes: Top Cohen Recipes

Prefix for Cohen's Lifestyle
Baked Chicken with Chilli Crust

Hello everyone!

This is yummy - tried it on myself last night (I'm not the world's best cook, so lack confidence ...) and then made it for my husband and son tonight - they loved it ... although I may have overdone the dried chilli!

1. Pre-heat oven to 200oC.

2. Crush crispbread allowance (no machine needed) and add dried chilli flakes, black pepper, a touch of salt and a splash of balsamic vinegar. [Could also add (eg) onion and/or lime juice from allowance.]

3. Roll chicken allowance in crushed crispbread mixture until nicely covered.

4. Wrap chicken in alfoil 'parcel' and bake for 25 minutes.

Serve with salad allowance!

Yummy, yummy, yummy for your ever shrinking tummy! :D

Last edited:
Just wanted to say thanks everyone for posting your recipes.

I have tryed a couple of them out in the last few days.

Thinking Thin. I never thought of using a mortar and pestle for crushing my crispbread. What a great idea - it works so well. No more sore fingers for me. I made your chicken - but cut it up into little pieces, making extra for my kids. I called it 'chicken nuggets' for their benefit and they loved them! We ate ours with salad.

Scarlet. OMG!! Those chicken rissoles were so delicious. I made them with the fresh coriander (I love coriander) and YUMMO. They are one of my new favourites now - perfect with salad. And for some reason, making 4 rissoles, they seemed so big - like I was eating a lot - an extra bonus. Thanks so much for posting your recipe.

:)
Lily

Beef Stew

Ingredients - all according to allowance
Diced beef
Chopped Onions
Diced green capsicum
Diced zucchini
Diced fresh button mushrooms
Diced tomato
Sliced fresh chilli (optional)
Dried oregano and basil
Mustard powder (optional)
Tumeric powder (optional)

Stock
Half cup water - just estimate the amount needed to cover your food in the pot
Half tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar

Instructions
1. Marinate beef with a little bit of salt, mustard powder and tumeric powder (powders optional)
2. Heat pan with a bit of olive oil, fry onions and chilli with some dried herbs, e.g. oregano and basil, until fragrant and onions are slightly transparent
3. Toss in green capsicum and zucchini and fry for a minute or so
4. Toss in beef and sear all surfaces, i.e. no more pinky surface
5. Toss in mushrooms and tomato
6. Fry for a minute or so; add in stock to just cover ingredients
7. Simmer on very low heat for 5 to 10 minutes until stock is reduced to about half the height of food in the pan
8. Ready to serve.

I always make this stew in the evenings for the next day's lunch. Store in fridge after cooling stew. Before serving, heat in the microwave over for about 1 to 1 and a half minute.

Recipe link

Hi all
I came across this link ages ago. Its from a chef who was preparing meals for her daughter who was doing something that soundsalot like Cohens. Just be careful of some of the ingredients and quantities eg she uses 20ml olive oil every now and then! It includes photos and some of them are great. If anyone's interested try

Dizzy

Last edited:
WOW...

I just had a quick look at the site and there are some yummy looking recipes there. As you mentioned, some of the ingredients and quantities will have to be changed, but hey, we are creative, aren't we.

Skinny Hugs
Allana

Boiling the egg, and using the yolk as a cream-like substance can be good. For example, this morning: Boiled egg. Sauteed onion and mushrooms. Dash of vinegar on steamed spinach leaves. The egg yolk was good with the vinegar and spinach leaves. Different, new texture (for me). AH

Breakfast - Mushroom Pies

Ingredients
1. Button mushrooms, allowance
2. Mozarella cheese, allowance

Instructions
1. Slice button mushrooms
2. Stuff them into muffin moulds - the foil or baking tray type, not the paper version
3. Cover them with grated mozarella cheese
4. Grill on high for 8 to 10 minutes, or until cheese browns
5. Do not add seasoning except dried herbs if you wish as the cheese is a bit salty.

Breakfast - veg omelette

Ingredients
1. Combination of veg (allowance) - suggestions: mushrooms, tomatos and onions OR cabbage and onions
2. 1 egg (allowance)
3. salt

Instructions
1. stir-fry veg in a small amount of olive oil until about cooked
2. season with a bit of salt
3. pour beaten egg over veg and let cook for a while
4. fold egg over to make an omelette parcel

Breakfast - Cheese salad

Ingredients
1. Mozzarella in little balls (allowance)
2. Baby spinach, rocket, button mushrooms (allowance)
3. 1 tbsp or less olive oil (cold pressed)
4. 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
5. some salt
6. Sprinking of dried garlic

Instructions
1. tear mozzarella balls into pieces
2. toss together with rest of ingredients

Lunch/Dinner - Curry Beef/Chicken

Ingredients
1. Diced beef OR chicken (allowance)
2. Vegetables (allowance) - Suggestions: Zuchini, onions, tomato and cauliflower
3. 1 and a 1/2 tbsp Curry powder - no paste allowed on Cohen's
4. 1 tsp salt
5. 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
6. 1 tbsp olive oil
7. 1/2 cup of water

Instructions
1. Stir-fry onions in oil until soft
2. Add veg and stir fry for 3 minutes
4. Add meat and sear all sides to cook
5. Add curry powder and stir-fry, coating all ingredients - make sure you've been using a non-stick pan
6. Add water, and more curry powder if you like but please taste the sauce first. Without milk/yoghurt in this recipe, the sauce can taste a bit bitter/spicy.
7. Simmer covered on low fire for about 5 to 10 minutes - make sure you check on the curry to make sure it doesn't dry up. Fire must be low.
8. Serve with biscuits allowance.

Cohen Otah

ingredients
1. White fish (allowance) -
2. 1 tbsp curry powder
3. Onions - chopped finely
4. 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
5. 1 tbsp olive oil
6. 1 tsp salt

Instructions
1. Mince fish finely
2. Mix in all other ingredients
3. Shape into a rectangular block about 1 cm thick
4. Grill on high for 10 minutes.

Don't know if anyone is still checking this thread... but wanted to say thanks for all the recipes and great ideas! Only question is I notice on some recipes it includes olive oil. I thought no oil was allowed on this program (only minute amts of olive oil spray)... can some have olive oil and others can't?

Curious.

Deb

Deb, I haven't glanced here for ages but saw that you had posted so had a look in. In the U.S. they are allowed olive oil but in Aus just the spray. Their crackers are different too. I'm not sure if there are other differences. Cheers, Cate.

Cate and Deb,

I'm in the US and I'm not allowed olive oil. I didn't realize anyone was. I guess that's another difference between the "personalized" plans...

Olive Oil

My consultant said I can have a little olive oil but should use the cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil because those are better quality.

So I've been using a little here and there :) I'd suggest checking with your consultants if unsure because like many of you pointed out, these are personalized plans :jump:

Thanks everyone for the clarifications and new recipes... I, too, am from the US and am only allowed small amounts of olive oil spray, for those lucky enough to get actual oil... ENJOY! Although, I sometimes will spray a bit of the olive spray on my salad when not cooking.... :)

Oh, and thought I'd share my latest favorite I use so frequently at lunchtime.
This is good with turkey, chicken and tuna fish. I use the protein (allowance) cooked separately as needed, and add celery, green pepper, cabbage and onion or even zucchini (allowance) with 1/2 apple and put it all in my food processor with the allowed reduced fat mayo, some vinegar and spices (sometimes I'll use curry powder, sometimes a bit of sugar free sprite with asian flavors, sometimes fresh, cilantro, parsley, basil or such to change the flavors. A few zaps in the processor and with the apple for sweetness it makes a HUGE plateful... Then I save the other half of apple for dessert with a bit of cinnamon... YUM!!!

ENJOY!

Curried beef & Cabbage

1 cup water
Diced beef (allowance)
15gms Onion (finely sliced)
Cabbage (allowance)
Curry
Ground coriander
Cumin
Paprika
Oregano (dried)
Sage (dried)

I combined just under half teaspoon of curry powder and just pinches of the rest of the herbs to make up 1 teaspoon (or just under).

Heat 1/2 water and herbs in frypan (or wok) over med-high heat, once it's @ boiling point add meat, allow to cook (braise) until meat is almost cooked through, add onion and cabbage and cook until cabbage is cooked through. Salt to taste.
Keep adding little bits of water as you're cooking to keep it all moist (that's why I said 1 cup), you should end up with a bit of 'juice' when served up.

If you check out Faraday12's other "posts" you will see that they are quite similar to this one. All 5 seem to be trying to get us to go to another web-site. Does anyone know how to report this sort of thing? I think it would be classified as spamming but not sure.
*Thanks for getting rid of the previous post folks!

Last edited:
Back