Weight-Loss Pumpkin season

Weight-Loss
haha! Such a pretty pumpkins faces

Hey FoodC, only you could turn a post on pumpkins into a long running thread, 4 pages!

No more pumpkins here, but we are still eating the end of season squash we collected. Great pictures Flyer.

i made a last ditch effort today and they were marked down again to $0.75 ea, but what was left was pretty puny. next year i'm going to start looking earlier to get the pick of the litter. still collecting seeds, so that part of the saga still remains.

Hey FoodC, only you could turn a post on pumpkins into a long running thread, 4 pages!

No more pumpkins here, but we are still eating the end of season squash we collected. Great pictures Flyer.

Haha! It is our work not only mine! :)
I still eat pumpkins. I have one big pot of pumpkin soup in my fridge, baked pumpkin, and ready to eat seeds! I think pumpkin will be in my kitchen for about 2 weeks more and I will start to love another vegetable.. :)

still with three more sweet pumpkins on the shelf, i turned to my seed collection yesterday...

pumpkin seeds.jpg

roasted up a batch yesterday ... shell on, very crispy and surprisingly very filling.

since it's about that time of year i thought i'd revive this string. when i discovered that those mini-pumpkins were more than decorations, i was hooked. as i posted to my diary pages, today i saw a bunch of Caspers but they were $2 each. i picked up a pair, but in a month they will be less than $1. even the seeds are a treat.

Casper the friendly pumpkin.jpg

prepped the two Caspers this morning...
IMG_1828.JPG
got to go with savory (salt, pepper, olive oil) today... no brown sugar in the house.

a good start to the seed collection for roasting, too.
IMG_1829.JPG

getting this step done early in the day creates a lot more incentive to cook it up for dinner later today.
after this, it's literally a pop-in-th-oven for a bit (... ok, an hour) fast food.

a lot of people are waiting for Nov 3rd... i'm looking forward to Nov 1st... pumpkins are sure to go on sale and are usually available well past Thanksgiving...

One cup of cooked pumpkin (245 grams) contains:
  • Calories: 49
  • Fat: 0.2 grams
  • Protein: 2 grams
  • Carbs: 12 grams
  • Fiber: 3 grams
  • Vitamin A: 245% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI)
  • Vitamin C: 19% of the RDI
  • Potassium: 16% of the RDI
  • Copper: 11% of the RDI
  • Manganese: 11% of the RDI
  • Vitamin B2: 11% of the RDI
  • Vitamin E: 10% of the RDI
  • Iron: 8% of the RDI
  • Small amounts of magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, folate and several B vitamins.
Besides being packed with vitamins and minerals, pumpkin is also relatively low in calories, as it’s 94% water.
It’s also very high in beta-carotene, a carotenoid that your body turns into vitamin A.
Moreover, pumpkin seeds* are edible, nutritious and linked to numerous health benefits.

* when i roast the seeds, it's with the shell on. the shells turn out rather crispy and actually contain a good amount of nutrients themselves.

something i like to stress... cutting into a pumpkin? wash it first...!
your knife will draw any residue on the surface right into the meat if you bypass this step.
even before the 'demic, this was SOP for me.

IMG_1906.jpg

as i spent some of the day yesterday prepping 4 small pumpkins, thought i'd revive this string.

it's pumpkin time...! (and don't forget the seeds)

Last edited:
Back