Weight-Loss Pumpkin season

Weight-Loss
I've been trying also both of pumpkins and I definitely prefer option without sugar. I love pumpkin taste and spices make it even more tasty.
So I think if I would want to eat pumpkin in sweet option I can just add only cinnamon and the taste will be still sweet :) :pumpkin:

decided to try one of the Casper pumpkins....

Casper pumpkin.jpg

i think i need a bigger knife. my intention was to half, but it turned out to be more of a 70/30 split. these guys have a really tough skin... the knife just seems to go where it wants.

sorry , FC... this one is going to be all sweet... :)
...but i do appreciate you starting this string. probably would never have tried any of these little squashes.

well in a few hours i'll have to check to see if these did any short term damage from dinner yesterday...

Casper pumpkin - sweet w cinnamon.jpg
had one just a few minutes out of the oven... the sweet Acorn squash i had was cool... i think i much prefer eating these warm.

lots of seeds...

Casper seeds.jpg

may try out that roasting recipe.

think i'll wait to collect all three pumpkin's seeds. i've found so many different recipes / methods of preparing seeds. if anyone can point to a favorite, please point to it...? i should have close to a cup, though if i can find a carving pumpkin on sale the next few days, i might invest.

you generally eat the whole seed, shell and all with pumpkins, right?

Tiger Stripe is up tonight... decided to go all savory with olive oil, salt, black pepper and a few pepper flakes...

Tiger Stripe pumpkin.jpg

finally a 50/50 split... i may be getting the knack of this.
don't try cutting through the stem... go right up to it then snap it open.

i've seen these type pumpkins cut open to make soup bowls, but this variety, if this is a typical example, seems very thin skinned on the bottom vs the Casper brand.

i'll have to reevaluate the seed potential of these small pumpkins... i'm probably going to get a bit less than a ½ cup from all three combined.

Last edited:
have to say... very tasty... but somewhat dry...

Tigr Stripe pumpkin served.jpg

i was pretty skimpy with the oil, but butter might be better even for savory.
with the low temperature (350° F), practically anything would work.

I'd think butter would be better, but I'm a bit of a butter fiend.
I don't eat the shells of pumpkin seeds, but we might be (probably are!) looking a very different varieties of pumpkin. For me, with the seeds I know, pumpkin seeds are pretty slow eating, because it's crack the seed, peel off the shell, then eat the kernel, rather than scooping up a few and munching on them straight away.
I'm looking forward to hearing how they turn out for you! :)

most of the recipes for roasting seeds coat the outsides with the goal of making the entire seed very crispy, so i'm getting the idea that if they are prepared that way, they are meant to eat whole.

in case i haven't mentioned it, i've been cooking all these small pumpkins a similar way... in a roasting pan... oven at 350° (i have a convection roast setting) for 75 - 90 minutes. i'm sure they would be ok as soon as they soften up, but i prefer them well done. i've seen some recipes that say to roast them with the open side down (i do spaghetti squash in a shallow water bath this way to generally steam it), but i have been doing them just as pictured with the open side up. i might try putting a loose Al foil "hood" over them next time ... might hold in a bit more moisture...(?)

The local roadside farmer's stand closed on Saturday, they had a great sale. Everything was free. We got a couple of nice spaghetti squash, passed on a bunch of pumpkins. Carving pumpkins have little value in November.

i probably could have talked them down for a dozen... there were 6 assorted boxes of > 20-25 in each.... and that was just the pumpkins. there was another whole case of other various squashes. all 99 cents/ ea.

i just heard the bell... Casper pumpkins are on the menu today...

2x Casper.jpg
two savory, two sweet.

i think i have this down...

2x Casper.cooked.jpg
really cut back on the brown sugar (sweet, lower pair).
i just sprinkled about 2-3 pinches over each and split a tbsp of melted butter between the two.

went with a bit more Olive Oil on the savory pair.
they already look less dry... still not much... a little less than a tsp each.
swish the oil around and paint a bit on the edges to brown.

two will go in the fridge for a quick(er) meal tomorrow.
the microwave reheat the other day wasn't that bad.

the aroma is a 10+

I am totally in love with pumpkins
I eat oatmeal with pumpkin and apple 'jam'.. and cinnamon
I preserved jars with pumpkin and pineapple
My brother's wife baked amazing pumpkin pie and muffins
I eat pumpkin just right from the pot :D

I think it is because of season. I can feel like my body just need exactly what the earth gives me in some part of the year. It is kind of interesting because when I was traveling (hot places during the wintertime in my home town), I had exactly the same feeling like I need to eat those veggies and fruits as was their season in my hometown- it was totally instinctively..

i'm simply amazed at the variety. i even spotted one of these Turban Squashes...

Squash_Mini_Red_Turban.jpg
i passed on that ... a bit too big and a little scary....!

seed collection is growing/ drying out (a bit over 1 cup) and still looking for a recipe to settle on...

pumpkin seeds.jpg

one of the Sparkler pumpkins will be on the menu today. in retrospect, not sure about fixing two sets anymore ... the reheated pair was ok, but they are certainly a lot better right out of the oven or slightly cooled off on day one.

here is one of the Sparklers (bottom pair) next to a Tiger Stripe...

IMG_6407.jpg
looks just as meaty as the Casper varitey, and definitely the darkest color i've opened yet.
wish i had better taste... they've all been great so far.

had the time to prep 2, but i might just cook one today.
it's a tossup, because i feel much better when i can save a watt, too.

Do you bake them in a heat-resistant dish with or without a lid?
I usually bake all veggies with lid and everything is more delicious than baked without lid.

i have tried both ways, covered and uncovered... but i do it a little differently. i don't cover the roasting pan, but rather i make a very loose Al foil "tent" over them. i find this works well when baking anything you need to cook through without searing or drying out the surface too much. i'm going to stick with this method. for the last 10 minutes or so using this method of roasting, i'll take off the cover and crank up the heat some if i want to crisp up the outside a little more. i do this routinely when i cook a whole chicken or turkey.

Back