Weight-Loss Pumpkin season

Weight-Loss
Pumpkin Slaughter! Ashes to ashes, pumpkins back to the soil.
P1.jpgP2.jpg

Y'all have taught me something. It seems these were carving pumpkins, probably not so good to eat. And the farmer tells me the local market is flooded with carving pumpkins.

Well, I guess they'll be adding compost in situ, or somewhere or other. Interesting landscape, though - can I ask what's the annual rainfall?

can I ask what's the annual rainfall?
Annual precip right here is about 20 inches (~50 cm), but it is mostly snowfall, our winters are cold and wet (snowy), summers hot and dry. We don't get much rainfall at all. Without irrigation the vegetation where our house is would be high desert, sagebrush and the like. Heavy snows fall on the mountains just a few miles to the east, when it melts it is caught in reservoirs and becomes our water supply. The Great Salt Lake is just a mile or so to the west, naturally the water ran off directly to it, now we get to use it along the way. The mountains in the pictures get snow, but the larger mountains where most of the snow falls are to the east, you can't see them. They are where Utah's famous ski areas are.

It looks pretty dry, for sure. The idea of twenty inches of water falling, but it being locked away in snow, and thus not much good to vegetation, let alone cropping, is wild!
We have snowy areas, but they can get rain, too (to the skiers' dissatisfaction) and there is natural vegetation which thrives happily enough on what they get - the snow gums are amongst the prettiest of the gum-trees, I think.

Amy, I did not know Australia got snow until I saw people talking about it here. Do you actually have ski resorts? Yes, our precipitation patterns are funny, naturally there are no trees that could grow in our yard, too dry. But less than a mile away, up the mountain to the east, there are quaking aspens, scrub oak, and the like, just a little further up, still within a mile there are pines, spruce, and fir. But it is too steep and rocky for people to live or grow anything there. The winter snows are deeper and the soil holds water longer into the summer. No gum trees here.

Y'all have taught me something. It seems these were carving pumpkins, probably not so good to eat. And the farmer tells me the local market is flooded with carving pumpkins.
And what's more, I think this process is good for the ground to plant other vegetables/food. :)

Do you actually have ski resorts?

yes we do, Perisher ski resort is one, it creates a traffic nightmare in winter on the road between Canberra and Cooma. It is also where we had a catastrophic landslide in 97 that took out a ski lodge, there was 1 miracle survivor.

I learned something too, Rob - I've skied, but only in Victoria (Mount Buller etc) so I looked up to see what was so good about Perisher, and saw they have a train, tunnelling through mountains, to get there! which really surprised me, because for a long time trains have been being wound back across the country, especially outside of cities.

think i'll try the Acorn Squash later today... the recipe sounds so simple... wash it, slice it, scoop it, season it, bake it.

believe i'll go with the sweet version... brown sugar, which i still have around, and butter... lightly. against my basic diet tenet, but two teaspoons of sugar isn't going to kill me a few times a year.

White Acorn Squash... simple/ baked.
wash, slice, scoop...

Acorn Squash 01.jpg

added a step... make it stable...

Acorn Squash 02.jpg

season... decided to split the difference so to speak...

Acorn Squash 03.jpg

left side... Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper... savory.
right side... Butter, Brown Sugar, a bit of Cinnamon... sweet.

dinner & dessert... mmmmmmmm...!!

right now about 30 minutes in @ 400° ... at this point even the aroma is worth it.
recipe says 50 minutes. tick, tick, tick...

wow, that was quick...

Acorn Squash 04.jpg

added another step... cool down phase... the roof of my mouth will thank me later... :)

with all the online help available, anyone who says they can't cook just isn't trying.

glad i did both the savory and sweet version of the Acorn Squash. apparently the small pumpkins i got cook up just about the same, though i've seen many more sweet recipes for pumpkins. have to say i really enjoyed both, but too much sweet might be a little overwhelming ... with the slightly off-center cut i made, i'm glad i chose the smaller one to make sweet. looking forward to trying a pumpkin.

here is a cooking tip i ran across if you just want to get the pulp out to be used later... like in a pie. i have an old blender, but no food processor...

How To Roast and Puree A Pumpkin

After cutting the pumpkin in half and taking out the seeds, I put the pumpkin on a large baking pan (skin side up, cut side down), and roasted it in the oven at 375 for about an hour and fifteen minutes, or until fork tender through out. I scooped out the flesh from the skin, and placed it in a food processor to puree. Once pureed, allow to cool before placing it in freezer bags to freeze if you aren’t using it up right away.

This pureed pumpkin will keep in the freezer for at least one year.

after Thanksgiving i'm going to check out to see if the stores need to get rid of any leftovers. up until now, i always thought those small pumpkins were just for decoration. i wonder how many eventually just get tossed out by people who don't realize how good they are.

White Pumpkin Pie
Yields 2 pies

FILLING
4 Farm Fresh Eggs, beaten
3.5 cups pureed white pumpkin
1 cup sugar (optional for more sweetness) <--- *boo* *hiss*
1 tsp. pink Himalayan salt
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp all spice
1 (14 ounce can) sweetened condensed milk
1 can (5 ounce) evaporated milk

FILLING METHOD —
1. Combine all ingredients well, pour into pie crusts.
2. Preheat oven to 425. Cook for 15 mins and then lower heat to 350 and bake for 45-60 minutes, depending on altitude.
3. Very lightly cover the tops of the pies with foil if they begin to brown.
4. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.

Last edited:
I've been enjoying the step-by-step pumpkin adventures, Flyer! (Your own recipes, I mean - with illustrations!) Thanks!
Yes, indeed, about the boo! hiss! to the extra cup of sugar in this latest recipe (not yours, obviously) - because who would need an extra cup of sugar when there's already a whole can of sweetened condensed milk! o_O

3.5 cups pureed white pumpkin
Flyer, how many of your pies could you make with that 2,600 lb pumpkin? If you figure about 2 lbs per pie that's a lot of pies.

Back