Oprah's show today on surgical weight loss...

changeforlife

Did anyone watch Oprah's show today on surgical weight loss? I thought it was interesting.

Basically they had people on there that had gastric bypass surgery and once they were thin, instead of being addicted to food they became addicted to something else.

One lady traded her food addiction for alcohol. Another became compulsive with sex and had many one night stands- her reasoning behind this was that she loved the sudden attention. And Carnie Wilson was on there talking about how after suddenly becoming skinny she got addicted to alcohol as well.

The basic message of the show was that people think that surgical weight loss is a "quick fix" but once they become thin they realize they're not as happy as they thought they were going to be. They get thin but they never address the issues that made them fat (and addicted to food) in the first place.

I think that this show ought've been watched by anyone wanting to lose weight, not just people that want to do surgical weight loss. We all need to address the issues that make us want to overeat, so when we do reach our goal weight, we have not just healed the outside, but the inside too.

And also, I'm not saying that people shouldn't GET surgical weight loss, I just think they should know that it's not a quick fix and like everything else it takes time and probably a lot of counseling and rebirth.

Also, the recent thread Fear of Thin kinda touches on the same spectrum of healing.

indeed, i dont get the show here for a fair while - but i can fully understand it.

I saw the show when it reaired around 2 am...woke up and realized I had left the tv on and there was Oprah. lol Anyway, it was indeed a very enlightening show. Its so common sense but once she said aloud it became an "aha" moment for me and just as C4L, I thought of the article that Mal posted.

i didnt see it but i've heard about this episode and it really is true... I've seen this from aquaintances of mine who have been in recovery from some addiction... Unless the addiction is cured... or the root cause of the addiction... the addict will trade one addiction for another.. Addictiction is a part of that personality... (the spouse of a former friend went from cocaine to alcohol to shopping to scamming money from people... he's now in prison so no idea what he's doing now)

Food is an addiction for some people...

I've heard before that everyone has to be "addicted" to something. Maybe addicted isnt' the right word, but everyone has their "God". When you turn from one, you automatically turn to another.

I personally am trying to turn my "god" from food to the real one!

I've heard before that everyone has to be "addicted" to something. Maybe addicted isnt' the right word, but everyone has their "God". When you turn from one, you automatically turn to another.

I personally am trying to turn my "god" from food to the real one!

I completely understand what you're saying...and I like what you said. Does that make sense?? :p :p

... and what is scary is that everyone I know that has had the lap band or gastric bypass (about a dozen people) are bigger than when they started. They didn't acquire the right mindset after their surgery or they had other medical issues that came forward because of the surgery.

Just my $.02

My ex-boyfriend had gastric bypass surgery, and he went from 400 pounds to 200. His mom also had the surgery, and lost over 100 pounds. The things is it seemed they both almost became addicted to surgery that 'improves' the way you look. I know he has had 2 plastic surgeries now, and his mom has had 4. It is kind of strange to me, but I really think he was addicted to that. he never excercised, and constantly bugged me about getting plastic surgery and gastric bypass. I don't think the surgery is a bad thing, but I do think it should be a last resort.

Oh, absolutly a last resort (it there is truely such thing in weight loss) i had an old friend who almost died from complications of the surgery.

My mom had to have it done, THREE TIMES...because what the surgery doesnt' do, is fix your state of mind. Good for you having the surgery, but if your still fixated on food, its gonna come back on.

hmm

well it was suggested from my doctor to have the surgery done although im only 17 i think hes crazy and is money happy i am although extremely obese i feel as though this surgery is a "cop out" i know /think i can lose the weight i think most of us can with some support thats why were all here of course there are some sircumstances which would have a very good reason to have the surgery but i dont think its for me

i want to thank you for posting this info i think in a real way it was a life saver
thanks again
kat

well it was suggested from my doctor to have the surgery done although im only 17 i think hes crazy and is money happy i am although extremely obese i feel as though this surgery is a "cop out" i know /think i can lose the weight i think most of us can with some support thats why were all here of course there are some sircumstances which would have a very good reason to have the surgery but i dont think its for me

i want to thank you for posting this info i think in a real way it was a life saver
thanks again
kat

It is true that for some people this surgery can be a life saver, but look at you! You have already lost 30 pounds!!!! Way to go, keep up the good work. I am sure that when you loose all that weight you are going to be able to be really proud of yourself! :D

thanks again
kat

Hi WildLotus. You and I seem to be around the same weight, and I'm doing it the old fashion way and so can you! Like Elegance said you already lost quite a bit of weight. So way to go. I'm glad I could help a bit by posting this thread.

I was 319 when i started, im now down to 240ish , thats 5 months work.

If i can do it then you can - im 33 with 4 kids!

OH My Wishes that is just so great, I have 65 lbs to loose and it just seems like is never going to happen, I have lost 10 but i am stuck there, nothing makes me go down from 190, i go from 190 to 198 from 198 to 188 back to 193, it's a total yoyo that is driving me crazy, I hope and pray to God everyday that one day I can be successfull at this.

My mom had to have it done, THREE TIMES...because what the surgery doesnt' do, is fix your state of mind. Good for you having the surgery, but if your still fixated on food, its gonna come back on.

That breaks my heart to read that but, unfortunately stories like your mother are becoming the norm now that people are getting to be 1-2-3-4 years out. They never learn to exercise or eat right and it ALWAYS comes back if you don't know what your doing.

Back