One Step at a Time

Another week has been completed. Or close enough anyway lol. I usually like to do these updates on Saturdays, but with everything that's been going on for me, I figured I'd post a day early.

Well, due to my car continually breaking down and needing to get fixed, I ran out of money. So I managed to ration out my food so to speak until my next paycheck (yesterday). But that meant, every day I was only eating about 1,000 - 1,200 calories roughly. I know that's low, but it's the best I could do. Even on payday morning, I ran out of cat food after giving them breakfast. So ya, things got pretty tight for a bit. My boyfriend did surprise me though, and ordered us pizza on the weekend. It's something I've been craving for nearly 2 weeks lol. So there was a day or two where I hit my calorie goal and may have gone over it slightly. But I made sure to not stuff myself, and purely eat till I was full like I've been working on. So the pizza even lasted to the next day and I didn't eat the whole thing then either, only having two slices and my boyfriend at the rest lol.

Something else I've become aware of since starting to take a more long term achievable way of eating for weightloss, I notice the way other people eat a lot more as well. For example, I have a coworker who is very overweight. I'd say she's easily in the 300's if not in the 400's weight wise. She used to drink nothing but diet coke all the time, but then she got sick and now drinks water all the time, but allows one regular coke a day. But quite often, she has a bag of chocolates or chips near by that she snacks on throughout the day.
Then there's my boyfriend. He eats everything all the time. He's not horribly overweight, but it's quite something to see how often he's apparently hungry and just has to have frequent meals and snacks. It seems almost more like a boredom tick for him to go for food, rather than him actually being hungry (grew up with someone who was a HUGE boredom eater so I've seen it before). I once made dinner, a shrimp stirrfry, and while I have been getting used to only cooking for me, I did end up making enough that I could have my own controlled portion of food (only 1 bowl). Meanwhile, he piles his full, almost more than full, and gets another 2-3 bowls like this and wishes there was more.

I'm not upset about any of this, it's just surprising to see how differently different people eat. Especially when you take into account if they're someone trying to get healthy, fine with where they are, or complain that they're fat but still go back for several more servings to the point they've eaten 5+ meals that day, or people who are already at a healthy weight.
It really makes me step back and look at the way I've been eating myself a lot more clearly. It's shocking to think of some of the behaviors I've had and how I now have to deal with breaking out of that cycle and work on new habits. But so far, I'm managing to stay on track and feel like I can actually keep this up. I'm not restricting myself from any foods. If someone brings in donuts at work, I have one (within reason of calories I'm allowed), if I want to splurge on a chocolate bar, I have one. If someone offers me cookies, I can take one or two. I keep in mind what I've already eaten that day and what I have planned for later meals, but I find I'm always able to squeeze in these "treats" when they pop up and they're not slowing down my progress. Makes it a lot easier to not worry about grocery shopping or other things since I know to just go for the healthier stuff and watch the portion sizes.

Oh, and seeing as this is week 3 of being consistent, I'm back down to 210 lbs. So another 2 lbs have been lost! I also have only gone on the stationary bike a time or two for 10 mins. Reason why I didn't keep up with the workout is because of how little food I've had this week. With being in a large calorie deficit due to my situation, I didn't want to over do it and make things worse for my body by adding a big ol workout on top of everything. But now that I got paid and got food again, I'll be starting back up on the workouts again on Monday.

To finish things up, here's a pic of the scale this morning with the happy news. As well as a pic to show off how funny Melody looks right now as she's going through a growth spurt lol.
EpQKqj0UwAAe0Mx

Eph96H2UcAAu4KC

Hi. I'm shocked at how you manage to work out every day. For me, even working out every other day is still challenging. Don't forget to rest! I wonder if I can get used to this routine.

I find if I try to workout every other day, or 2-3 days on, rest, another 2-3 days, then rest, it results in mind games for me and makes me WAY less inclined to actually stick to the workout keep doing it. But if I start off simple and work my way up over the course of 5 days a week, it helps me to stay focused and motivated to keep going. And everyone's different when it comes to this and this is just what works best for me. Also, the first week I didn't even do a workout. I started off with little things to get myself mentally ready for it. Like making my bed when I get, getting lunch for work packed, and drinking one cup of water and putting on workout clothes. That helped ease me into the concept and then actually going ahead into the workout in the mornings. Wish you the best of luck on your journey and I'm sure you'll be able to get the hang of your routine eventually :)

:p Not to be rude to Melody but she looks like a donkey there... Amazing job staying the course despite everything that's going on, too. And it sounds like your observing yourself and others will be helpful long-term- just don't tell them! :rotflmao:

:p Not to be rude to Melody but she looks like a donkey there... Amazing job staying the course despite everything that's going on, too. And it sounds like your observing yourself and others will be helpful long-term- just don't tell them! :rotflmao:

Lol, ya, she's looking pretty funky right now
And ya, I'm definitely not saying a word. People seem to be pretty touchy when it comes to food or weight things lol. Plus, it's not really my business how they live their lives lol

I love your observations, Ann. You really have changed your mindset & are reaping the benefits. You sound really happy :)

After reading your post, I wanted to be apart of this journey. I too have weight to loss and your post motivated me to join this group. Thank you for sharing.

@Hamy
Welcome to the community! And welcome to my thread :) I'm honoured my post helped to motivate you, and I look forward to seeing your posts around here too now :)

Well, it's officially 2021! Time for getting back into the routine I started earlier in December. I ended up getting rather busy and being all over the place the 2 weeks that I wasn't able to stick to my workout plan. I did slack a little in the meal part too since it's the holidays and everyone had different things to share and give as gifts. I also made my first ever turkey and it turned out so good that the meat was falling off the bone lol.

Anyway, so on Monday, I'll be getting back into the workout and tracking my food intake a bit better again. I'm hoping that by spring, I'll be down around 30 lbs. But that means I'm going to have to serious about this, which I am, but it still can be a challenge to stay focused. The most challenging part is when I go visit my boyfriend since he eats junk food. Like, nothing but frozen meals or canned food, or those instant noodles and stuff. And I usually end up spending 2-3 days with him. So I'm going to have to figure out a way to be able to eat right while I'm there.

Also, as a christmas gift to myself, I've arranged to get a new horse at the end of January/start of February xD
This guy is 8 years old but hasn't had much training. He's had a few rides but it's been several months since then. So he's definitely a project horse. But he's special to me already and I can't wait to work with him. I'm defnitely going to push myself when it comes to his training to see just how far I've really come in my training abilities. As long as it all goes well, I'm hoping that this boy will stay with me for many years yet. But that's only if we do end up being a good match.

Some pics of Melody and the new guy :)

EqXlyQWU0AQtkpL
EqXlyxBU0AICMTL

The holidays are a hard time for eating in moderation but if you gained less weight than last holiday season that's an improvement. Is your boyfriend supportive of your weightloss goal - does he even know about it? One easy option with packaged food is to check the calories on the back (making sure to note what portion size they are for), dividing off a reasonable-for-you amount, and adding a salad. For which you'd have to bring the ingredients, but that shouldn't be too hard.

@LaMaria
I wasn't really paying attention to my weight the last holiday season so I have no idea there lol. But ya, my boyfriend knows about it and is fine with it. Thanks for that suggestion, it's definitely something that would work I think.

Things have been interesting so far. I've come to realize I'm somewhat lactose intolerant. If the milk is in baked goods or not the main part of a dish, I'm pretty much fine. But when it's more prevelant, then it makes my system rather upset with me. Example would be those side kick noodles where you put in 2 cups milk and half a cup water. That's all it takes to start making me feel not so good. Even KD has a similar effect, but much smaller. So I guess I now know to stay away from foods with a high amount of milk them lol.

Also, I've been managing to slowly starting to figure out meals I can have while on a budget so I can stay with healthy foods. I've also been working out in the morning every day so far. Yesterday was a struggle though. I accidently over slept a bit and still felt tired and didn't want to do a workout, but I still managed to get myself on the exercise bike for a bit so that I'd get at least a portion of my workout in before I had to start getting ready for work. And now it feels pretty good that I was able to stay on top of it like that and still manage to get something done.

I've also been thinking that one thing I may do, is do a lunch meal prep for the week, but bring all my lunches into work so they can sit in the fridge there. I have a tiny mini fridge so meal prep is hard since I have extremely limited space and can hold maybe 2-3 meals at a time if I'm lucky. But work has a giant friend that's 98% empty majority of the time. So it'd workout perfectly to just have my lunches sitting there and ready.

Interesting (though annoying) that you should start to get less lactose tolerant if you used to be ok with it. Did you avoid it for a while or something? Other than that it sounds like you´re doing really great!

@LaMaria
I used to have more milk mixed in food when I was at home. But typically I never drink milk or ever really use it. So I think it kind of shocked my system when I started to suddenly have more of it. I think I have been partially this way since I was born as I refused to drink milk when I was just 3-4 months old.

A doctor friend once warned me that if I wasn't planning on going vegan forever it might be helpful to keep including dairy at least in smaller amounts on a regular basis. Apparently even people with the mutation needed to keep producing lactase in adulthood will only do so if necessary and find it hard to start again after stopping for a while.

2 weeks into the new year and I'm down another 3 lbs. Super happy with the way things have been going. I've also been able to test my self control more as well. I bought a caramilk chocolate bar the last time I got groceries a few days ago. I only 2 pieces of that evening. The next day, i had 2 pieces before I went to work, and left it until I was done work, then had another 2 pieces. And this morning, I'll be able to eat the last 2 pieces that are left. I've never had a chocolate bar last this long before but I've managed to surprise myself with the self control I can apparently have lol.

I've also worked out every morning this week. Some days I only did the exercise bike, and other days, I added in some squats, pushups and other things like that. I've also been drinking at least 2 cups of water before I have breakfast and have been getting in 8 cups minimum of water for the day. Oh, I also do stuff with the horses from time to time in the mornings as well so I tend to get a bit of extra exercise in there too as well.

All in all, I've been managing to handle everything fairly well and I feel like I can keep this up long term. But I've come to realize that when I reach around 200 - 210 lbs, that when I hit some type of mental wall cause at that point, it's like I lose control or something and go back up 5-8 lbs. I'm not sure why that is, but this time, I'm determined to make it below 200 and keep progressing to my goal and not rebound like I seem to always do.

Er3dRPvVkAACPhE

That all sounds super positive Ann! Great work on making that chocolate bar last--that's always something I'm working on is how to have that kind of stuff around without just inhaling it in one go!

Your workout routine sounds good too.

Keep up the great work!

(i love the picture of the horses and snow :) )

I've never had a chocolate bar last this long before but I've managed to surprise myself with the self control I can apparently have lol.
Awesome! Nice to hear you´re doing so well. If you know you´re closing in on the weight range where you struggle: plan. Stick with what you know, remind yourself of your goals and motivation even when you´re doing well so you get into the habit, and keep posting. You can do this!

Back