Omega's new journey - time to do it again...

Well done on getting the scales moving in the right direction Omega. I love that you love salsa. I don't think I could do it. I'm allergic to perfume so hugs of any kind are a minefield these days sadly as I am a hugger!

Congrats to you Omega, looks like you are building momentum !!

I've got perfume problems as well but mainly I just don't like getting touched by strangers, no matter how well they mean. Even handshakes are uncomfortable sometimes. Heck, there are days when I will air-kiss or wave my best friends goodbye from more than arm's length! (Though that tends to be when they've been eating peanuts.)

Thanks Cate, Suzy and Maria for visiting and the words of support. I'm lucky not to have problems with perfume.

Yesterday went fairly well - I had 1 litre water (which is all I'm aiming for at the minute), 5-a-day, no alcohol, no chocolate (Rod ate some but he has said that he will try to stop buying it), but I did have crisps. My step count was a currently acceptable 13,609 steps. I had my weekly ballroom latin dance lesson. It isn't salsa but the latin version of ballroom dancing which I do without Rod. I did it a lot when I was a child and started again a couple of years ago after being challenged to do so by a teacher in that field who I met socially. I am currently preparing for a dance exam in May where I have to dance cha-cha, jive, samba, rumba and paso doble. Some of my steps were therefore walking and some were dancing.

On my way to my dance lesson I have been tending to have a meal deal. That single handedly had me eating a bag of crisps and a sandwich. These meal deals are not doing me any favours so I have resolved to try to keep a watchful eye on how many I have. My lunch yesterday was 650 calories and that is higher in calories than I like my lunch to be if I am wanting weight loss. A £3 price tag for lunch is not a bargain if I gain weight.

I have been on the scales today (Friday) and it is slightly down to 15st 2.75 pounds.

Those meal deals can be good - there is a tesco healthy living egg & cress sandwich for around 280 calories and a packet of quavers or wotsits is under 100 cals so not bad at all. Where did the 650 calories come from?! Well done on the loss :) xx

I picked up a cheese and ham sandwich and a bag of sweet chilli pepper crisps and a little bottle of zero coke just before getting onto the bus for an 1hr bus journey. I ate then looked at the labels - 445 plus 201 for the sandwich and crisps - and nothing is ever really zero...

I really need to get more selective when I pick up things like that - I didnt bother looking at the calories in the shop and knew that the salads were out because there is a limit to how much messy food you want to eat sitting on a bus.

I'll try to look out for the choices you suggest.

I looked at the fruit snacks and they were tiny little bags of what looked like half an apple sliced up. We've had better snacks in meal deals elsewhere...

I looked at the fruit snacks and they were tiny little bags of what looked like half an apple sliced up. We've had better snacks in meal deals elsewhere...
Sounds like the McD happymeal fruit: browning pieces of apple or unripe grapes. That's one way to make sure kids will prefer the unhealthy stuff! Just packing an apple, a bottle of water and maybe even a homemade sandwich could maybe be an alternative?

I'm going to have to get smarter about meals on the road if I really want to make the kind of progress I want.

Hi Omega. You're doing great!! I used to do some ballroom dancing mostly Latin. Have never danced competitively though.

Thanks Suzy.

Friday and Saturday have both gone pretty well. Weight both days was 15st 2.75 pounds which is holding steadily the loss of the week so far and therefore a happy situation.
Both days - I had 1 litre of water, had my 5-a-day, no chocolate etc, no alcohol.
My Friday steps were happily supplemented by salsa on Friday night.
Didn't go out to salsa on Saturday night - our friends were going to an event about 50 miles away and I was so tired I was in bed by half past 10....

Saturday was an unusual day in that Rod went into town - but the electric car charging bay went faulty and locked the cable of our car and would not release it. Since the cables cost hundreds of pounds - and he would need it very soon - Rod did not want to disconnect it from the car end and drive away and leave it behind.

I got an urgent phone call from Rod to say that he had been unable to get through on the phone to "Charge your car" and would I email them urgently. I did of course.
He then asked me to come down to where the car was parked (bring his ipad) and share the pain as he was bored and they said that it could be all day...

I walked into town which gave me my stepcount for the day... When I got to the car I realised that we were immediately outside a rather nice little Greek restaurant that we sometimes go to... Rod was bored silly as he had already been waiting a couple of hours by then. The first thing he did when I got to the car was ask me to go shopping for some sandwiches as he was hungry. I said that it would be better if we went to the restaurant and had lunch there in much greater comfort. It was quickly decided and we had lunch.

I had a delicious very lean lamb kofta pita. It had a slice of of pitta bread and a portion of chips but was really tasty and we swapped the meals around so it was the main meal of the day.
It meant that we waited in much more comfortable surroundings until the man came and released the car.

It is Sunday morning... This morning we will go to Coxhoe where we have a rental property which is awaiting new tenants... We need to do a little diy before the new people move in... They are moving in on 21st and we like things to be lovely for our tenants.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-58263082.html

Then this afternoon we will go to a salsa event in Penrith - about 80 miles from where we live. It is a really good event that runs about once a month. It is held in the daytime (3pm to 7pm) in a beautiful rural location. Really good dancers go there from quite a lot of places and we always find it well worth travelling to...

What an eventful day! Good thinking about the Greek restaurant - a satisfying meal, eaten slowly with someone you love can´t be bad for you.

Can't believe how cheap the rent is in your neck of the woods! I'm in a 3 bed and it's £800 a month! And that's reasonable!

Thanks for visiting LaMa and Hana.

Yesterday's lunch was yummy - I am still raving about how yummy the lamb was - and there wasn't a scrap of fat in sight.
Property in the north tends to be cheaper than the south - and on purpose we like the reasonable end of the market... There is something very satisfying about providing a beautiful home at a price that people in a low paid job or on benefits can afford. I love the Coxhoe house as it is a little terrace of about 12 country cottages with the gardens overlooking a field then village green.

It's a lovely place Omega. I love Greek food too. It's good that you were able to turn a negative into a positive. I also love that you have an electric car!

Thanks Cate. We'll aim to go back to Coxhoe this weekend and do a little more DIY...

Penrith was amazing on Sunday afternoon. It is in such beautiful countryside and the weather was lovely and bright. This is the hotel where the salsa was http://www.roundthorn.co.uk/ Well worth travelling about 80 miles each way to dance with good dancers in such nice surroundings.

I ate some high sodium things that day as we were out of the house all day so saw a gain next day (weighing daily) despite knowing that my calories were ok.

Since then I've increased my water... Last week with baby steps I was happy to have 1 litre of water each day.
Monday I had 2 litres and Tuesday I had 2.5 litres.

It has had the desired effect on my weight and I have got rid of that sodium gain so I am now sitting 4 pounds down from my start weight on Monday last week.

Step-counts have been acceptable. Yesterday I did a keep fit class and went dancing at night.

Well done on all the water - I aim for 3 a day but some days it's tricky to get there! I drink a lot of herbal tea now to try and get my litres higher! Hotel looks gorgeous!

Thanks Hana. I should really be aiming for 3 litres - but I think that if I aim for 2 litres on non-dance days and more on dance days it will be something that I'll manage. There is no sense in me setting a target until I feel it is something that I can regularly hit with effort... It is so much easier drinking water on dance days.

Also: there´s no reason to drink 3 liters of water on days you´re not exercising hard. 2 really are plenty.

LOL - I suppose that's another thing I should be doing - exercising hard more days... Some days I'm satisfied to just get over 10,000 on my pedometer...

Back