Weight-Loss No binge, no purge - one day at at time.

Weight-Loss
Good for you LaMa!

I am really struggling today, I was feeling tired and weak for no good reason. Not up to cutting the grass, I convinced myself that if I ate some high calorie high energy food I would be better off. So I ate 330 calories worth of Hersey's cholate, it did help a little. I was able to get the grass cut without a problem. However psychologically it was a really bad idea, now it is all I can do not to go back and finish the chocolate. Right now I am posting rather than doing that, but it's still before supper time here, I have a long ways to go, a really strong craving, and plenty of chocolate...

I think posting here is helping, we'll see.

I did some online research and found this:

"NBC weight-loss competition reality show “The Biggest Loser.” It found that six years after the show ended, 13 of the competitors had regained weight - an average of 90 pounds, compared to an average of nearly 128 pounds lost over the course of the show.

Researchers learned that when the contestants lost weight, their metabolisms -essentially, the body’s ability to burn calories at rest - had also dramatically dropped. What’s more, studies have found that even after people re-gain weight, their metabolisms remained at the slower level, meaning their bodies were burning even fewer calories at rest than before.

Another study also published in Obesity found that the body prompts us to eat roughly 100 extra calories for every 2 pounds of weight lost, meaning the body gets hungrier the more weight we lose." from Why It's Difficult to Achieve Long-Term Weight Loss

I think it describes my problem very well... That 100 calories per 2 pounds lost means my body want's me to be eating an extra 8,000 calories a day... Seems about right, maybe not right but that is what I crave. 8,000 calories right now would be easy.

I know that losing 36kg in 28 weeks back in 2007 wrecked my metabolism too, Rob. I think I will talk to my doctor on Friday & ask for some advice. I know that when I do get back to my happy weight I will need to follow this advice-
“The common trait that I have noticed is that successful long-term weight-loss patients make a significant change in their attitude and perspective about weight loss,” Sloan said. “They typically embrace the possibility that they will need structure, support and accountability long term.”

Thanks Cate, and let us know what your doctor says. Mine is not a lot of help on this question, he was quite overweight himself until a few months ago. He has lost about 50 lbs, but needs to lose more, and I think his momentum is slowing. So he has the same problem as we do, and the same lack of cures.
successful long-term weight-loss patients make a significant change in their attitude and perspective about weight loss,” Sloan said. “They typically embrace the possibility that they will need structure, support and accountability long term.”
Not a possibility, but a certainty for me, if I don't want to gain it all back anyway.

I did make it through the day without a binge, but it sure was hard, way to hard for me to hold out against for long I am afraid. However I do plan to keep struggling and try to find a way.

Let's not binge tomorrow!

I did make it through the day without a binge, but it sure was hard, way to hard for me to hold out against for long I am afraid.
Maybe it would be interesting to read back to the start of your entries here. See how you were doing then. Pretty sure there was a reason why you revived this thread, right? And you managed to withstand for SO long.

I did not binge today. I was sorely tempted to keep eating after lunch but I waited a bit for the food to settle and realized I was full after all.

Good for you LaMa, not bingeing in the face of being "sorely tempted" is always a good thing.
Maybe it would be interesting to read back to the start of your entries here. See how you were doing then. Pretty sure there was a reason why you revived this thread, right? And you managed to withstand for SO long.
I have not done so well after reaching maintenance as I did before, when I was eating less. Part of the problem has been the loss of the positive reinforcement of seeing the loss, that has been hard, and I have found nothing to replace it.

I also do not feel as good as I did when I was losing and in big deficits, and I am not sure why. I have had lots of blood tests and other examinations and the doctor has found nothing wrong. Last time we spoke I told him I am still feeling weaker and more lightheaded. He said given the results of my tests he only explanation is my body has not adjusted to the weight loss. He thinks that could take a long time... Not sure how real that was, or just his way of brushing me off when he could find nothing wrong. Guess I should just be patient and hope things return to normal. My gut and digestion has much improved since the hernia surgery, so some good news. Never thought of myself as a hypochondriac, but maybe... I have spent more time and money at the doctor in this past year than in my whole life up to now...

Today is a better day for me, but it ain't over yet... And I would probably not be posting here and now if I had no cravings.

Not having adjusted yet sounds strange after a year (although not impossible) but then you were at a much higher weight much longer. Maybe the strict deficit gave you a kind of placebo effect where you felt better because you were doing things to better your body (as confirmed by the scale) while maintenance feels like meaningless deprivation.

Did not binge today. Would have quite liked to keep eating after lunch but it wasn't TOO hard to stop.

Hey LaMa, I am glad to here you did not binge, good for you.
Not having adjusted yet sounds strange after a year (although not impossible) but then you were at a much higher weight much longer. Maybe the strict deficit gave you a kind of placebo effect where you felt better because you were doing things to better your body
Thanks for pointing that out, and I am sure there is some truth to it. Though I am pretty sure the lightheadedness and sometimes a little dizziness I feel did not start until I had lost most all the weight... I do think it is slowly getting better, not worse anyway. Guess I will just have to give it more time...

No binge here today and the cravings are less, more back to normal or average for me. I think if I can avoid another binge it may stay that way, we'll see.

Let's not binge tomorrow!

Though I am pretty sure the lightheadedness and sometimes a little dizziness I feel did not start until I had lost most all the weight...
I used to get low blood pressure once my bmi dropped to 22 or under and it made me faint a lot. At some point I decided my body just didn't want to go that low.

Meh, I binged today. 300 g of chocolate. I went into the store for a single serving of icecream, saw the chocolate, and ignored all my good reasons not to overdo it on sweets. Better planning tomorrow.

Hey LaMa, I am glad you didn't binge today, that has to feel better. And I wish my binge on Sunday had been limited to 300 grams of chocolate.
I used to get low blood pressure once my bmi dropped to 22 or under and it made me faint a lot
I do have low blood pressure, when I was overweight it was about average, but now it is quite low. Last time at the Doctor it was 96/64. When I ask the doctor always just says something like "I wish my blood pressure was that low". However his nurse has sometimes warned me to keep an eye on it, whatever that means... I suppose it could be related to my lightheadedness. I have never fainted.

No binge today, but I sure thought about it.

Let's not binge tomorrow.

Hey LaMa, good for you not bingeing!!
I overate today but wouldn't call it a binge. Will do better tomorrow.
I know that feeling, but I believe not bingeing is a whole lot more important than calorie count. Now if I could just really convince myself of that, LOL!

Can you say what your blood pressure was and is now? 96/64 is low for me, most of the time the higher end is between 100 and 110, but not always. I have not had a measurement since the binge, but I can tell you my lightheadedness is much less, and I am feeling stronger and better. Is it possible I was eating so little I have actually been undernourished (rhetorical question, mostly)? I posted more about it in my diary, but I do think I am going to experiment with eating a bit more, maybe up to 2,000 calories a day.

I did not binge today, and did not have strong urges, a good day.

Let's not binge tomorrow.

You probably weren't undernourished looking at any one specific nutrient but it's possible that your body just really doesn't want to be this low and it's fighting you. I haven't checked my bp in a while (it's higher than it was 10 years ago) but I know I used to feel lightheaded when I went below 105/70 or so.

I don't want to post I don't want to post I don't want to post... but I binged.

Back