My road back: the sequel where things hopefully go better

Day 10

12/1/2023

Work day! Started off with a small crustless quiche and a quarter chicken from the hot section at woolies, then had some Korean fried chicken bites from the foodcourt on the way home. Had a tin of soup when I got home and that was it. A lack of leafy greens and the chicken bits were fried, but I'm giving myself a gold medal for dodging the big-hitter carbs and for having sensible portions.
I can do better, but in order to win gold you only have to be faster than your opponents lol. I'll break records later.

Day 11

13/2/2023

Had a small wheel of brie and some Danish salami for breakfast... then had to do a two hour drive. I was suffering from tired eyes so I stopped to fill up the car and had a 500ml can of energy drink and a chocolate bar. Then when I got to my folks' place I had some vege curry with rice.
I'm kicking goals with my portion sizing, but eating chocolate and rice bumps me down to a silver.

Day 12

14/1/2023

A bronze day today. Started with a slice of bread and cheese, before deciding I needed to hit the supermarket for something proper before I inhaled a bunch of empty carbs.

I went to the local coles and picked up 4x plant based chicken burger patties, but got three vege spring rolls and a boost bar while getting around. Had two sausages and some green beans for dinner, but smashed an entire tub of Chobani Fit yoghurt after that.

Day 13

15/1/2023

Work day! I grabbed a very fatty, atkins-style breakfast of three eggs and three sausages from a cafe. This put immense pressure on me to consume no carbs at all for the remainder of the day as I'd blown my allottment of fat clear out of the water.

I had a chicken schnitzel for lunch with no fries and planned to leave it there, but failed. On the way home I stopped at the supermarket and bought some plant based mince, mushrooms and made a stew with said ingredients, mixed veg, and vegetable stock. Late eating but at least it was the healthiest thing of the day!
The high fat consumption made it a silver day.

Day 14

16/1/2023

Morning weigh in: 144.8kgs

So an overall loss, but a slower week than last week. Frequent weigh ins serve as a good reminder of why not to eat heavily late at night.

Had some plant based sausages with two eggs and mushrooms for lunch, followed by two chicken souvlaki skewers with salad for dinner, then snacked on some berries.
Got into the gym at about 10pm expecting it to be quiet in there.... to my horror there were heaps of people in there. Especially around the stuff I wanted to use, where the people just seemed to be chatting and hanging out. How annoying!

Anyway, I got about fifteen one minute rounds of speed rope in, which was an improvement on last time.

I'll call that a gold medal with a new record lol.

Ugh on people using the gym as a hangout spot!
Right!? And I have no interest in talking to anyone long enough to ask them to move lol. I really thought getting there late would be an insurance policy against that kinda stuff!

I try to get there at 6 am, when my gyms open: everyone's focused on their exercises then.

Day 15

17/1/2023

Morning weigh in: 142.9ksg

That's more like it! What to do now?!
Oh yes, three stupid days! Brilliant!

It all went wrong when I decided to spend three days at my parents house... no way I'm blaming them, I need to learn self-control... but oh, the home cooking! After my breakthrough weigh in I bought some plant-based burger patties to eat with veges... only to find my parents hade made a big stir fry with udon noodles... and I doubled down on the carbs!

Day 16

18/1/2023

Decent effort with the portion sizes, but had sushi and carbs for lunch. At dinner I had some Korean fried chicken with no fries.

Day 17

19/1/2023

Went to work today, and once again put myself on an atkins tightrope as I had three sausages and three eggs for breakfast... I wasn't hungry for the rest of the day, and at the supermarket on the way back to my parents' place I grabbed a butter chicken without rice from the ready meal section... only to find the rice cooker at their place was just finishing a big serve of rice for their dinner... I caved again lol.

Day 18

20/1/2023

Morning weigh in: 143.8kgs

Wow! Even after packing in rice the night before! This really goes to show how important portion sizing is I guess!

Bought a loaf of low carb bread and had about five slices for breakfast with cheese and tomato. Headed to work and did a short day, before having a cup of Korean fried chicken pieces for lunch, then had two low carb bread sandwiches with chicken, tomato and cheese for dinner.

Morning weigh in: 143.8kgs

Wow! Even after packing in rice the night before! This really goes to show how important portion sizing is I guess!
If you're eating low carb you retain less water. Eat one carby meal and your glycogen stores fill up, sucking in loads of water in the process and making it very hard to figure out whether or not you're overeating.
By the way: if you want to stay healthy long term doing the low-carb thing you might want to consider adding some greens to those Atkins breakfasts.

Day 22

24/1/2023

I didn't weigh in this morning, but yesterday morning I was 143.9, after eating fairly heavily the night before.

Overall, the eating's been good. I've developed a fondness for vegetarian double burgers on low-card (Herman Brot) buns, which I tend to have for breakfast or lunch, then nothing else until dinner. Dinner is generally some kind of casserole or stew without any rice or potato, or basically anythign you'd normally be tempted to put with it. I know I could accelerate my results by ditching dinner.

I've also been pretty good with going to the gym! Dinally did a workout last night which included heavy bag and jump rope... it just about killed me lol.

I'll weigh in tomorrow morning, which I'm sure will hammer home the fact that I can't just pile in at dinner time.

Food sounds better, Guy & well done going to the gym 👏
Yep, I feel like I'm breaking some bad habits now. Although, just as suspected, my weigh in wasn't great. About the same as a couple of mornings ago, so another step sideways. This is why I like weighin in daily. The scales tell you what you probably already know lol...
One of the things I need to stop with is the low carb bread.... I am just unable to be sensible with it. I had about eight slices last night after dinner... that pretty much finished the loaf, and I have no plans to buy more. I'll henceforth just buy the burger buns (only two in a pack) and eat them right away.

Back