My road back: the sequel where things hopefully go better

Day 3

5/1/2023

Well, it was a bronze day today... started great with a "crustless vege quiche" from a local cafe... big and filling, packed with protein and veg, super low carb! For lunch I had two chicken kara'age skewers and a seaweed salad... I got home and had a fillet of salmon with some curried vegetables, then an alpro dessert with berries... yeah, there was a bit of fat in the kara'age, but the portions were sensible and I overall did really well. As well as that, it was quite a physical work day.
The damage came after that... as I was digging through the fridge looking for berries I found a 720ml tub of Gippsland Dairy yoghurt leftover from Christmas... it's about as healthy as ice cream, and I should have thrown it out. Instead I practiced futility and denial and scooped a little bit out into a coffee cup and solemly said I'd just have that much.

Ten minutes later I was eating directly out of the tub.

Day 4

6/1/2023

I started off the day with a piece of fish and salad, and for dinner I made a big pot of chicken stew with carrots and potatoes... the middle of the day was where the damage happened though... I had four slives of bread with cheese and extra cheese after that. Cheese is inherently evil... can only be comsumed in small doses without a carb-rich accompaniment IMO. Sadly I broke both of these rules.

Last edited:
Instead I practiced futility and denial and scooped a little bit out into a coffee cup and solemly said I'd just have that much.

Ten minutes later I was eating directly out of the tub.
Do I know that feeling... Sorry you do as well.
Cheese is inherently evil... can only be comsumed in small doses without a carb-rich accompaniment IMO.
Cheese is the mother of all things and I will not have her name slandered! Cheese and veggies works really well. Or pickles.

Cheese is inherently evil...
Oi! :iagree: with Llama, here. Cheese is life! Cheese goes with almost everything- pickles, pickled onions, apples, pears, veggies.....
Your food for the day sounds scrumptious. I love Chicken Karaage! There's a Japanese bar/restaurant in Hobart called Bar Wa Izakaya that I love. We must go there next time we're in Hobart.

Do I know that feeling... Sorry you do as well.

Cheese is the mother of all things and I will not have her name slandered! Cheese and veggies works really well. Or pickles.

Hahaha yes, cheese is incredible alright. Perhaps I should have exercised some restraint and avoided the bread!

Oi! :iagree: with Llama, here. Cheese is life! Cheese goes with almost everything- pickles, pickled onions, apples, pears, veggies.....
Your food for the day sounds scrumptious. I love Chicken Karaage! There's a Japanese bar/restaurant in Hobart called Bar Wa Izakaya that I love. We must go there next time we're in Hobart.
Yes, kara’age is amazing! Oh wow tbeir kara’age must be good if your willing to travel for it haha!

Yes, kara’age is amazing! Oh wow tbeir kara’age must be good if your willing to travel for it haha!
We don't go there just to go to Bar Wa for their Kara'age (& all the other stuff that's delicious that we have ever tried there, ) but do love it when we can squeeze in a visit to them, usually with our son, who lives down that way.
I try not to eat much bread & find crackers better.
Hope you're having a good weekend :)

Day 5

7/1/2023

I had the determination to have a gold medal day today. Started with two eggs and four mushrooms for breakfast. For lunch I had four fish cakes followed by a protein, and snacked on some peanuts.
Had a snack of four crackers with tinned tuna and cream cheese on, and dinner was a steak with curried veg. At night I had about six small pieces of cheese.

I know I can get better than this, but I’m still awarding myself a gold for this day!

We don't go there just to go to Bar Wa for their Kara'age (& all the other stuff that's delicious that we have ever tried there, ) but do love it when we can squeeze in a visit to them, usually with our son, who lives down that way.
I try not to eat much bread & find crackers better.
Hope you're having a good weekend :)
So far so good lol… trying to decide what to have for breakfast at this point!

I can't remember which state you live in, but it is nice to have someone else in the same time zone :)

Day 8

10/1/2023

Morning weigh in: 146.3kgs (322.5lbs)

I skipped over two entries, but I can say they were silver medal days. Still, first weigh in was pretty good!

The last couple of days have been "atkins" days, in that I've indulged on fatty meats with no redeeming qualities other than that they're low carb. This is good to keep you on the diet, but not something I'm interested in long term.
I started with a feed of curried sausages and vegetables. After that I had some Chinese food with no rice (Mongolian beef and sweet and sour chicken). I then bought some froze fruit salad and oat milk for smoothies, but ended up consuming the whole bag of frozen fruit (half in smoothies, half as a snack).
Finished the day with a tin of soup.

- 4.1 kg? Wowsers! Silver medals may not be anyone's real goal but they're still better then what most people can do, so good work.

- 4.1 kg? Wowsers! Silver medals may not be anyone's real goal but they're still better then what most people can do, so good work.
Yep, but the first week is always a bit of a purge… heaps of goop in the system and stuff. The next 4kgs will be harder! And unfortunately I’m coming off a DNP performance 😔
Ah cool! Hope you’re enjoying some tennis!

Day 9

11/1/2023

Uh oh, the inevitable bad day. Eleven days in, not too bad, but I’d have preferred a month in.

The only solace I can take is that I at least ate normal sized portions (which usually isn’t the case).

Had a potato-top pie and a sausage roll for breakfast, then Indian takeaway (which had been on my mind for weeks since I hadn’t a chance to get some on my 2022 “last meal”. And I’m pleased to say I didn’t enjoy it that much. Hopefully this energy will carry me through further temptations.

Nothing to do now but aim for a gold medal day!

I don't often watch the tennis as I'm allergic to all of the shrieking & grunting & histrionics.
It's not inevitable to have a bad day. Have some more faith in yourself, please. It's good that you had normal sized portions :)

I'm in NSW! What about you!
Haha yes, and you will understand the food references!

I am with cate on the timezone aspect.

I am a Cockroach living in Cane Toad country and that Gippsland yoghurt it tough to resist eating too much.

Back