Member Supplement Reviews

I dont know why we didnt have this sooner, but I think we could start a member review thread for products we have used and our ratings of them.

Product Name

Price, Quantity, Servings per package, Serving Size

Why you Bought It

Detailed Review
Give as much information as possible about the product, including taste, texture, mixability, etc..

Recommend
Would you recommend this product to others.

This is not the only info that you need to include, but for right now it should be the minimum.

This is the just the beginning of the thread, and it will be modified as needed. Please keep questions to a minimum, and only post if it is NECESSARY to the review. If you are responding, agreeing, or disagreeing with someones review, please quote that post.

Last edited:
Product Name
Nitrean Protein Blend

$42.95, 4.6lbs at 70 servings, 1 scoop at 30g

Why I Bought It
I was looking for a blend protein because of the information I have seen that has shown the benefits of a blend over plain whey.

It is a blend of whey, casein, and egg albumen. I got the chocolate and asked for samples of the strawberry and vanilla flavors.

Review
This is my new favorite protein supplement. I tried the strawberry by itself and there was only a hint of taste (using water). I mixed it into a strawberry banana shake and it was excellent.

The chocolate I use daily in a coconut/almond shake. The taste is superior to the ON Chocolate Whey I was using before.

The product mixes like Ive never seen. I do use a blender and have not tried in a shaker cup. Being a blended product, it may not blend easily this way. However the texture of the powder itself is finer and softer then any other I have tried.

Recommend
I give this product the max rating I can give and highly recommend. For the price this was the cheapest blend I could find.

Last edited:
I must say I am surprised that noone has posted anything. Protein powders, pills, whatever.

Am I safe to assume that everyone just uses food and nothing else?

You dont have to apologize C. If you dont take any then you wouldnt have anything to review :D

However many people are taking supplements and many new people venture here with questions about them. I thought this thread would be useful, but maybe Ill just remove it.

Very good idea Tony.

Product Name
Optimum Nutrition Complete Protein Diet - Chocolate (meal replacement protein supp)

Price, Quantity, Servings
(I'll have to edit that later, sorry)

Why I bought it
convenient source of protein

Review
It is thicker than the regular whey powder I've tried before, but much more filling. It works well as a quick meal. I prefer to mix it in the blender with milk and ice. It does, however, blend reasonably well in a shaker (but can get foamy).

Recommend

I do recommend. It's cheaper than the Myoplex Lite shakes I used to get, provides more protein, and tastes pretty good.

Product Name
Cytosport Muscle Milk

about $20 for 15 servings

Why I bought it
I went to GNC and told them that tr-training was making my muscles evaporate and they recommended it verses the 100% whey at least once a day.

Review
I have only bee usin it abotu two weeks, but it is a totally different feeling as my body is absorbing it. I have also noticed that it is more fillin that the Iron-Tek brand. i am still using both.

Recommend
yes- i recommend eating protein shakes twice a day, while eating 4-5 mini-meals if you are traning 2-2.5 hours. i was feeling like my body was turning inside out prior to adding the muscle milk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Product Name
Prosource Omega 3 (fish oil)

Price, Quantity, Servings per pkg, Serving Size
$17 for 200 capsules. Recommended dosage is 2-4 caps per day.

Why I bought it
I was looking for a more potent fish oil supplement then most standard ones containing 300mg DHA/EPA. These pills are 1250mg per pill, with an awesome 750mg DHA/EPA. Thats 60% of the total, compared to most pills that are hovering around 30%.

Review
Love it. I was checking between T-nation's Flameout vs. Prosource. Flameout is $27 dollars for 90 pills and only measures out to 53% DHA/EPA content. For $17 and almost 2.5x the size, Ill go with Prosource.

Recommend
Yes. I am currently taking 4 capsules per day. The pills are gel softs and I dont get any annoying fish burps.

Product Name
Muscletech: naNO vapor

120AU dollars 40 servings per pack serving size one scoop or more

Why I bought it:
Because i was looking for a Nitrix oxide and creatine mix

Review
Pretty good stuff this is and you feel like you just want start running and never stop:cool: like forest gump :p it really makes me put my mind to it and i just grab the weights and get it done. As you start to workout you start to feel the immense pump threw your body and it feel great :) I made amazing gains when i started to use this with eating well and keeping to my routine and i think it has defiantly been worth the money oh and i almost forgot it tastes like moldy ass but it dont bother me i just skull it down and deal with it...

Recommend:
I think this product isent a must have and if you dont have much money spend it on protien powder or good food but if you need that little extra in the gym and have never tried a product like this before then i think you may want to give it a go and see if it helps you out as it did me :)

Last edited:
ON protein

Product Name
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey protein powder

$45 at GNC, 80+ servings at 20 grams of protein per serving

Why I bought it:
Because i was looking for no frills, no sugar added, no suppliment added 100% whey protein powder to suppliment my lack in protein

Review
It's inexpensive as far as protein shakes go and tastes good enough. Not great but not bad either. It tastes much better with milk if you want a treat but I only rarely do that and if I do I use sweet acidopholus milk which is 1% milk. If you want to make a good protein shake with it add a banana, flaxseed oil and maybe a little honey to sweeten it up and it's pretty darn good. I've only used the vanilla so I can't comment on the other flavors.

Recommend:
I would recomment this product for someone looking for a decent low cost whey protein suppliment and isn't looking for that "tastes great" drink but is fine with it just tasting ok.

Product Name
Micell Edge by Iron-Tek

$32.95/2.49lbs. ($22 on the web) serving: 2.2oz, 18 servings per, 32g protein per

Why I bought it
blend of alpha and beta micellar cassien combined with whey for a time released protein.... for protein supplementation- not for recovery.

Review
Tastes great, mixes very well in a shaker, very filling. I drink 2 shakes per day with 2% milk and have no stomach issues (bloating, gas, etc.). It has alot of added supplements, so I would look carefully to make sure you're not already taking some of these, such as: carnitine, glutamine, taurine, MCT's, etc.

Recommend
I highly recommend for someone trying to add protein to their diet. It's inexpensive and of the highest quality.

sorry, forgot the carbs/sugar:
13g carbs per serving with 5g from sugars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Product Name

Supreme Protein Nut Caramel Bar (Carb Conscious)

23.99/box, 12/box, 1 serving = 1 bar
* I got these from my friend who works at V Shoppe. The regular price is 31.99, however you can get them from Prosource for 25 I think.

Why you Bought It

Needed a small MRP type food for on the go. Plus I had tasted them and they are freaking awesome.

Detailed Review

1 bar contains 360 calories with a breakdown of 16g fat, 34g carbs, and 30g protein. Its mostly sugar alcohols which leave the sugar amount to 4g + 1g fiber. This is definitely one of the best tasting bars around. Only thing that comes close IMO is Detour Peanut Butter Bars.

Recommend

Hell yeah. These are good for on the go and taste like a candy bar.

Product Name
Stem Enhance

Price: $59.95 Retail Wholesale $46.95 Quantity: 60 Capsules Servings: 2 Capsules daily unless you have health probems then more.

Why I bought it
Initially because it helped my mom and sister with problems they had. Then tried it for myself even though I have no health issues. Helps me recover from my P90X workouts quicker.

Review
Normal sized capsules and you take 2 at a time. Pretty easy to swallow and no taste. Usually getting a feeling of calmness in less then an hour. All natural.

Recommend

I do recommend. It has most of the regular vitamins in it and in a more digestible form then those regular hard capsules. The only 2 vitamins it does not have in it are Vitamin D and E. Supposed to help your body maintain wellness and it does help me recover from my workouts faster.

Nice thread, shame iv never noticed it!

I could put one down, but ima give it another few weeks trial just to make sure im in no placeabo ;)

Nice thread, shame iv never noticed it!

I could put one down, but ima give it another few weeks trial just to make sure im in no placeabo ;)

I was gonna spoil it for everyone and say "I don't take any supps bar a multi". Actually I love spinach (mmm spinach) and tuna as well as wholesome food and veg. Eeek mouse slip :)

Product Name
SizeOn

Price, Quality, Servings
Price is ok if you order from Bodybuilding. Take VERY good and lasted me 34 days.

Why I Bought It
Pretty much just looking for a better creatine blend after my CellMass. I found one to say the least.

Review
Taste is probably a 10/10 for me. Tasted like very sweet lemonade. Drank during the workout and acted as a "gatorade" type product .

Reccomend
Yes, it is one of the better creatine mixtures out there. I worked well for me.

Product Name
Nature's Best Perfect Zero Carb Isopure - Mango Peach, Cookies and Creme, and Mint Chocolate flavors

Price, Quality, Servings
$38.99 (bodybuilding.com) for 3 lbs, 22 servings per box
210 cal per serving
50g protein per serving

Why I Bought It
Was looking for a low carb whey isolate. Also includes isoleucine, leucine, valine, and L-Glutamine in each serving.

Review
The taste is middle-of-the-pack - it's not fantastic but it will get the job done. The Mango Peach actually had some potential, however that particular flavor does not mix very well in a shaker. Even after vigorous shaking, you can't help but get a mouthful of clumps. Low carbs, low calories, and high protein, is exactly what I was looking for in a protein supplement. It's also not as filling and doesn't give me the "bloated" feeling that a few other protein supplements have in the past.

Reccomend
Yes.

Optimun Whey Protein

Product Name
Optimum 100% Whey Protein

2 lbs of Mocha Cappuccino flavor

Why you Bought It
Wanted to build some lean muscle mass.

Detailed Review
I bought it from bodybuilding.com website. The flavor is the best protein flavor that I have ever tried AND on top of the it mixes extremely well without much if any clumps of powder. I mix it with water.

This is not an advertisement or anything but how can I cannot believe how good this protein shake taste and from the bodybuilding.com, it was cheaper than the Optimum website that sells it. Almost makes me wonder if the product is legit or not. I checked out the local Henry groccery store and it sells the same product but for mark up of 30%. Have anyone else tried the recent Optimun protein product and does it mixes this well or am I just buying cool-aid.

Recommend
If the product is legit, I would recommend it 100%. If you are searching for the flavor that you like try the Variety Pack for $20 for 16 packs.

Last edited:
Protein Supplement

Product Name

ProXtreme by Wellness International

64.95 for 14 day supply (prepackaged)

Why you Bought It
I was looking for a protein shake for my grandpa (he's diabetic) that would deliver high quality protein with low sugar content and low carbs. A buddy of mine told me about ProXtreme. I now use it for myself as well.

Detailed Review
Taste is great. Not chalky or difficult to drink. Its also nice that the drinks are prepackaged. I like the fact that I don't have to scoop out of a big tub and spill all over the place. They are great if you mix with water, and taste like a chocolate shake if you mix with milk. The protein is a little pricey, but worth it. Boxes are packaged with 7 chocolate and 7 vanilla.

Recommend
Highly recommended.

Official Description
ProXtreme is a multi-protein formula containing a scientific blend of ion-exchange whey protein isolates, cross flow ultra filtration isolates, whey protein concentrates, hydrolyzed whey peptides, glutamine peptides and egg albumen. This combination of various protein sources provides 25 grams of protein per serving while only having 3 grams or less of carbohydrates. ProXtreme provides an ideal ratio of essential and non-essential amino acids in their most easily assimilated forms, while also providing high levels of the branched chain amino acids (BCAAs). To increase absorption and digestibility, the proteins in ProXtreme are enzymatically predigested. These proteins are further processed with whey protein to minimize protein cross-linking

Nutritonal Information
Protein- 25 grams
Fat - 1 gram
Carbs - 3 grams (chocolate), 2 grams (vanilla)
Calories- 123 (when mixed with water)
Sugar- 1 gram

Where To Buy
I buy mine from winyourhealthnow.com. Coupon Code FIRSTWAVE gets me a 2% discount. Its not a lot, but it helps a bit.

Last edited:
Creatine

Product Name

Mass Appeal by Wellness International

69.95 for 112 capsules (28 packs total). This is a 28 day supply if you aren't in a loading phase.

Why you Bought It
After I found this companies protein, I tried their creatine. I was intrigued by the fact that it has comparable amounts of creatine, in pill form. I hate mixing (or trying to mix) a glass of sand textured creatine monohydrate and despise drinking a glass of sand textured creatine monohydrate. 4 pills, although somewhat large, go down a lot easier than a couple scoops. Also, it was interesting to see that this creatine was approved by the olympic commitee, although they might all be approved by that committee, I'm not sure.

Detailed Review
So far I like the results. And I can't argue with the fact that its pills. I wish I could find a store local that sells the product though. It is a pain to order off the internet.

Recommend
Highly recommended.

Official Description
Utilizing natural muscle-boosting, Mass Appeal is specifically formulated to enhance athletic performance without side effect. Creatine, the primary ingredient in Mass Appeal, functions as a storage molecule for high-energy phosphate bonds. These high-energy bonds provide greater energy during exercise requiring short periods of intense activity, such as weight lifting, sprinting, and jumping. Creatine causes a “cell volumizing” effect within the muscle by forcing additional water into the muscle cells. This promotes an increase in protein synthesis within the muscle which facilitates growth while slowing down the destructive breakdown of muscle cells that occurs during normal exercise. Mass Appeal also contains the branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) L-leucine, L-valine and L-isoleucine, which also increase protein synthesis and are oxidized inside muscle cells leading to a protein-sparing effect which indirectly increases anabolism by reducing the muscle’s need to burn its own proteins during strenuous exercise. Other key ingredients used to protect against muscle catabolism include alpha-ketoglutaric acid and L-glutamine. Inosine, an important compound within Mass Appeal, is known for its role in helping make ATP (adenosine triphosphate), the body’s main form of usable energy. Additionally, it may augment oxygen utilization within red blood cells and increase flow of these cells into muscle tissue. Through supplementation, the normal catabolic breakdown of muscle can be minimized and the muscle tissue preserved.

Nutritonal Information
Doesn't say how much of the product is actually creatine monohydrate, but each serving is 3250 mg

Where To Buy
I buy all my health items and supplements from winyourhealthnow.com. Like the last post, tHE oupon Code FIRSTWAVE gets me a 2% discount on my entire order. Its not a lot, but it helps a bit.

Last edited:
Back