Sport LV's Grocery List

Sport Fitness
What I've been using as a pasta substitute is cabbage. It has a nice, soft texture when cooked and absorbs flavors really well. For example, I finely chop some cabbage, red peppers, onions and carrots, cook them with a little water on a skillet, add some chicken/shrimp and mushrooms and low-sodium soy sauce. I also tried cabbage+zucchini+chayotes+onions with tomato sauce and sardines. Just yummy! :)

You can also find various 'noodles' that are actually nearly carb free and loaded with fiber. You're looking for Shirataki noodles, sometimes with Yam thrown in. They'll be refridgerated, usually in the health food/organic section, and come packed in liquid.

they're awesome in stir fry..a good sub for ramen type noodles.

I agree with that. That's the first thing I changed in my diet...potatoes, white rice, conventional pasta-all gone. I feel a lot better too. I'm not tired after meals anymore

What do you mean by "conventional pasta"? And why do you consider it unhealthy? Thanks.

What do you mean by "conventional pasta"? And why do you consider it unhealthy? Thanks.

One reason may be, respectfully, is that there is a difference in eating certain foods for one's personal health, and eating to meet certain personal fitness goals. Most would consider any refined/or reprocessed food item such as white pasta as unhealthy, when not considering that even in its unprocessed state it can cause health concerns for some persons due to the ingredients in wheat.

It is an error or possibly a myth to believe one cannot eat white pasta (and the type of carbohydrates they have) and get lean or lose fat weight. Of course, I say this knowing there are exceptions. An exception type may be one that is carbohydrate sensetive (defined here mainly as how much, and the type of carbohydrate eaten), and the place within their personal fitness path. Some very lean persons wanting to get leaner, have some complications with certain types of carbohydrates (and amounts) adjoined with a deficit, while others don't have this problem when the body is fighting back a bit harder to let go of the last few pounds of fat tissue.

I was having rolled oats (porridge) for breakfast for months but I grew sick of it and switched to processed wheat bran, which I love the taste of. But which is better out of the two - rolled oats or processed wheat bran?

Porridge/Oatmeal = Perfect Winter Comfort

I prefer porridge to wheat bran myself. The health benefits will be different but if you are not totally anti-grains then I would say porridge oats triumph due to their supposed ability to lower chlorestoral...

I was sure to have my Jumbo Oats bowl of porridge complete with seeds, cinammon and banana this morning! It’s cold and nasty weather here in London and porridge does the trick in the morning (unless you’re totally averse to grains of course)!

Just last week I made my own Granoala. Very simple – 8 tbspn Coconut oil, 2 tbspn raw honey, dash of vanilla essence heated until just before boiling. Combine with enough oats (and seeds) to get a moist textured mixture and then spread evenly on an oven tray and left to bake for 10-15 minutes. Left to cool and stored in an airtight container. Good for upto a month and helps to give us that natural ‘crunch’ we often like without too much unhealthy stuff.
Oats are so flexible and have enough health benefits in my eyes to be a staple food! No need to worry about these slow release carbs if you are exercising a lot. If you are against milk then why not just use water and/or coconut milk to make your perfect winter porridge!

I was sure to have my Jumbo Oats bowl of porridge complete with seeds, cinammon and banana this morning! It’s cold and nasty weather here in London and porridge does the trick in the morning (unless you’re totally averse to grains of course)!

Nice, will be trying this soon.

Feel free to share any other porridge recipes you may have. :)

Porridge is so versatile!

Oats can make the basis of so many good healthy snacks/energy foods.

Try these pancakes!

1 cup porridge oats, handful of nuts (Almonds/Walnuts) & seeds, 1 tea spoon of nut butter, 1 tea spoon coconut oil, 3 free range eggs, 1 cup almond/oat milk/whole organic milk.

-Dry blend oats and nuts to make a flour type mix
-Add eggs and nut butter and blend again
-Add milk to blender to bring mix to correct pancake mix consistency (thick but runny)
-Heat coconut oil in frying pan and fry away.

It's great to experiment with this for texture and taste as they are a little different to normal pancakes. You could add wheat bran, cinammon, pure honey etc...

I will be sharing recipes like this on my health and fitness blog LMD Fitness - would love your input!

hi, is rabbit very good, and wood pigeon? i shoot them, so i have a constant supply.

also, i've been wondering what cereals are best except from porridge? is muesli ok?

cheers:)

I think knowing what you've going to cook is the key. Getting all of your recipes ready and knowing what recipes are going to be healthy for you.

(removed)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always wondered about chicken skin as I remember reading that it was the most nutrient rich part of the bird... Yet not I see, everywhere, that people suggest not eating it. What am I missing?

I agree with this one...loving greek yoghurt

Back