Sport LV's Grocery List

Sport Fitness
Here is a list of foods that I share with the people on my forum. People are always asking questions on what are good sources of proteins, carbs, fats, etc...and the list below will help you determine that. All of the foods listed are good clean foods that everyone should consider adding to their list of things to eat.

Of course there are many other healthy foods you can consume so if you have questions on a food that you do not see listed, feel free to post and ask if would be considered a good clean food as this list will be updated on a frequent basis.

If you have questions on the macronutrient breakdown of the foods, here are a few good sites that will help you determine that.

fitday.com
calorieking.com
nutritiondata.com

Proteins
boneless/skinless chicken breast
turkey breast
salmon
tuna
swordfish
haddock
tilapia
flounder
round steak
sirloin steak
flank steak
beef tenderloin (filet mignon)
lean ground beef, chicken, turkey
orange roughy
egg whites
lean pork
crab
lobster
shrimp
buffalo
whey powder

Complex Carbs
brown/white rice
whole wheat pasta
oatmeal
yams
sweet potatoes
red potatoes
beans (pinto, black, kidney, lentils)
farina (Cream of Wheat)
rye cereal

Fibrous carbs
romaine lettuce
celery
asparagus
broccoli
cauliflower
brussels sprouts
cucumber
green pepper
red pepper
zucchini
spinach

Fruits
bananas
apples
blueberries
strawberries
rasberries
grapefruit

Fats
real cheese
olive oil
flax oil
fish oil
udo's oil
almonds
natural peanut butter
natural almond butter
avacado

Last edited:
you left Venison off the list for proteins...

Also, why red potatoes and not regular potatoes?

A lot of ppl think sardines are gross, but I've loved them for years. I went Beach Cliff's site and got the info, and other than cholesterol it seems to be a relatively clean food. Thinking of using a can every once in a while as a meal protein.

What would you say is the best all-round carbohydrate.In my house we eat a lot of potatoes,would this be better for my body than rice?

What would you say is the best all-round carbohydrate.In my house we eat a lot of potatoes,would this be better for my body than rice?
You can use regular white potatoes however I'd suggest sweet or yams if it's going to be a part of your post workout meal.

In response to the request for recipes earlier in this thread, one of my stock meals is having boiled chicken breast (boneless/skinless), brown rice cooked in nonfat chicken broth, and a blanched veggie. This admits to a lot of variation (changed boiled to baked, or roasted; change rice to a baked or boiled potato; and just about any veggie can be blanched or steamed) and is very fresh tasting and good for you.

Is rice better than potatoes for my body(theyre a lot easier to cook)

Brown rice is far better then most potatoes. Actually, Potatoes on average have a glycemic rating of 95!
Its ironic that Sweet potatoes have a rating of only 55 (given there name one would think they have a higher GI)

Brown rice is far better then most potatoes. Actually, Potatoes on average have a glycemic rating of 95!
Its ironic that Sweet potatoes have a rating of only 55 (given there name one would think they have a higher GI)

I agree with that. That's the first thing I changed in my diet...potatoes, white rice, conventional pasta-all gone. I feel a lot better too. I'm not tired after meals anymore

One item i use for fats that I havent really seen mentioned anywhere is hemp oil. It has a great nutty flavour so its a yummy addition to get your daily fats in

i have been eating a lot of lean ground turkey(jennie-o). 9g fat per serving, only 2.5 of that is saturated. no trans, so the rest is mono and poly?

i have been eating a lot of lean ground turkey(jennie-o). 9g fat per serving, only 2.5 of that is saturated. no trans, so the rest is mono and poly?

Yes, though omega-6. To place that in context, fish oil's and so on are omega-3's.

A solid daily fat % breakdown would not only consist of proper ratios of sat/mono/poly but also omega-3 to omega-6. Of course, that breaks down even further however lets not over complicate the issue.

I must say that bison steaks are top notch. I just bought a two pack of them today (didnt know my store had them) and the breakdown is:

6oz
2.5g fat
40g protein

Thats pretty damn good!

How about Pineapple... I noticed its not mentioned under fruits, It's my fav tasting fruit! Sweet n mmmmmm!!!

I eat the Bananas apples grapefruits etc.

I made a yummy meal last night..baked some chicken, skinless, boneless and in a pot on the stove cooked up some leaks and a few slices of smoked lean bacon..put the chicken in cut up, used an organic broth added veggies and a cut up tomatoe...delicious. Tasted like a cross between a thick soup and a stew. Would have added sweet potato if I had it. :newangel:

Back