Llama

Good to talk to instructor about it... are the exercises physical or mental ones? I think i would be exhausted after 1.5-2 hours of either one. All the meditating in groups i've always done are just meditating from 20 mins to 1 hour with maybe some sharing afterwards--so not so intense as yours sounds.

Mental only, so far. It is pretty intense, although it's not all exercises all the time: probably half the time is stories and explanations. And it's fun! But yeah: my brain is a glorious firework factory after.

Mental only, so far. It is pretty intense, although it's not all exercises all the time: probably half the time is stories and explanations. And it's fun! But yeah: my brain is a glorious firework factory after.
Well that's good that it is fun. Hopefully you can find your way to get a good sleep afterwards.

Thanks guys: my brain was full up after an hour and when I tried to tough it out until after the next exercise I got a massive headache so I snuck out early. The exercises I did do felt amazing though, so maybe this is just the way to go: participate until my brain says "no more" and then just leave. I did message the lector on my way home to let him know why I bailed: I hope he's ok with it.

It's good that you found a way around it, Llama. I hope you have a lovely Easter break. Do you get 4 days off work?

Monday is a holiday so that's free but the rest of the week is business as usual. Three day weekends are perfect for me: having that one extra to decompress without pressure to plan big things is wonderful.

I crocheted for an hour and did my evening meditation: my breathing is still breathing me instead of the other way around but my heart rate is down to normal and I don't have fireworks going off in my brain so I have a good feeling about my readiness to sleep.

I slept like a log for 4 hours. Then I woke up again feeling too alert but that's already a lot more and deeper sleep than I've had after the other group sessions so I think I'm on the right track. 3:30 now so I'm hopeful I'll get another full sleep cycle in after this distraction. If I can I don't even think I'll feel tired today.

Didn't manage more than a nap, cut off by my alarm, after that. I'm feeling alert though, and I can have a nap when I get home if I need it.

I'm pretty curious about what these exercises are--it all sounds so intense and like nothing I've ever encountered before at meditation--is all this linked with a type of yoga or something? Seems smart to leave when you've had your fill. Did the lector get back to you?
I'm glad you slept a little better afterwards this time.

Oh, it's just different kinds of focusing exercises, mantra singing (which... actually turns out to be fun, as long as I don't understand the words and it's led by someone with a bit of musical talent), and guided meditation. Nothing ground-breaking, but doing it in a group setting makes it a lot more intense than what I'm used to.
I did get a message back and Lector approved (I'm just going to call him that because while we have several different people rotating he seems to be to central organizing figure in the community). I'm taking that as permission to sit in the back row in the future, keep a close eye on when my cup fills up, and sneak out before I get overwhelmed. Makes me feel much better!

That's good your lector sounds good and reasonable and that you will feel free now to leave when it feels like enough.
Sounds like a really nice find for you!

That's so good that you can leave when it gets too intense and that you are finding your own ways of relating to the exercises. I never liked chants because they are usually in a foreign language, and I like to know what I am saying and know if I agree with it. I've since mellowed out about it and do look up the words afterward and study them and try to figure out why they are put into chants to memorize. I mostly chant translated chants now that I am interested in like the Heart Sutra, so it no longer bugs me. How do you find meditating in a group? I really grew to like the intensity of everyone concentrating together.

That's good your lector sounds good and reasonable and that you will feel free now to leave when it feels like enough.
Sounds like a really nice find for you!
The feel of the place is a good fit. I don't agree with everything, but that's ok.
I never liked chants because they are usually in a foreign language, and I like to know what I am saying and know if I agree with it.
We get Sankrit lyrics plus the translation so I do know if I agree. Chants tend to be quite... dramatic, and singing them in a language I'm familiar with would make me extremely self-conscious and fake (some are in English and I. Just. Can't.) It's like how most people will more easily swear in foreign languages even if they tend to be pg in their native tongue.

Friend is on her way back home. Everything went well and we had a ton of fun but I'm completely exhausted and my brain isn't ready to go to sleep yet. Very glad I have tomorrow off as well.

It's always a good idea if you can. I hope you're enjoying your day xo

Back