Journey, Not A Destination

"Greatness is a common thing, found in common people from common places, who simply do uncommon things."

Flat BB Bench - 215x5, 245x5, 280x5
Incline DB Bench - 85 for 3 x 10, 8, 6
Chest Supported Rows - 70 for 4 x 15, 12, 12, 12
Facepulls - 3x12
Planks

Felt "okay." I was hoping to feel a bit better given I'm coming off a recovery week but I'm having some minor pains in my left elbow. Always something, I tell ya. I may need to start up some eccentric tricep training.

Deads - 3x5 @ 280 (still nursing knee quite a bit)
Step-ups - 3x15
Leg Curls - 3x10

Yesterday was cardiac output training day. For those who don't know what that is, it's essentially low/moderate intensity steady state cardio for 30-90 minutes. I try and keep my HR in the 140-150 range and what this does is elicit specific adaptations associated with prolonged exercise at said intensity.

It's easy. It's boring. And it's necessary for those who actually care about conditioning. I know it's all the rave these days to focus solely on high intensity stuff, but let's face it... optimizing fat loss at the expense of performance isn't always as sexy as it sounds.

I enjoy being able to function optimally as well, especially when it comes to my mountain climbing.

Today is an upper body day with higher reps. Should be fun.

Bench Press - 230x3, 265x3, 300x4
Incline DB Press - 85 for 3x10
Chest Supported Rows - 4x15
Facepulls
Planks

Deadlifts - 225x3, 250x3, 285x3
Hack Squats - 225x10x3
Leg Curls - 110x10x3

Just finished foam rolling and digging the lacrosse ball into my external rotators. Stretched out the lats and pecs too. Feel good.

Just finished interviewing Tom Venuto for my site. For those who don't know Tom, he's the author of Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle, which is one of the most popular fat loss books on the market.

We sat down to discuss food addiction, establishing and maintaining motivation, how to research, and much more.

For those who are interested, check it out:

Last edited:
Happy New Year, everyone. Hope you're ready to kick 2010 in the ass!

Fast forward to December 31, 2010. What do you want to be able to say you accomplished from now until then? Be specific about what you want and why you want it.

For me....

I'm looking to have my first child in June and be the best damn father I can be.

I'm looking to add 10 new contracts with local schools for sport consulting.

I'm looking to hike twice per month, specifically on mountains I haven't ventured up yet.

I'm not going to skip more than a 24 days from the gym unless it's a planned break.

I want to improve the endurance in my quad muscles by doing very specific training (HICT) as much as my body will tolerate it.

Happy New Year, everyone. Hope you're ready to kick 2010 in the ass!

Fast forward to December 31, 2010. What do you want to be able to say you accomplished from now until then? Be specific about what you want and why you want it.
I hate to hijack your diary, but since you asked, mine are: (1) Keep the weight off in 2010 that I lost in 2009, (2) Get or keep all risk factors (HDL, LDL, blood pressure, blood sugar, etc,) within "low risk" category (3) Get rid of belly fat so cannot "pinch an inch" (4) Increase cardio intensity (run entire route instead of half walk, half run), (5) increase weights lifted by 20%.

They're solid goals. Do you feel that by simply defining your goals you'll be able to stick with them? Or what do you personally do to maintain drive and motivation?

Training tonight was a bit brutal. First time back under the weights in a while and I was feeling nauseous.

Bench - 5x205, 5x235, 6x265
Incline DB Press - 3x10 @ 75
Chest Supported Rows - 4x15
Facepulls
Reverse Curls
Crunches

Today I'm grateful for my job and my clients. I passed a homeless man on my way into work and he looked extremely cold. Probably b/c it's damn chilly out.

"Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can."

Yesterday's training was simply 45 minutes of cardiac output training. Felt good. Tonight is lower body strength training.

Hey Steve, congrats on expecting your first child! I'm kind of curious what stage you are in right now. You trying to put on some muscle or just maintain? What's your weight these days? Hope I'm not prodding too much.

My goals for 2010:
1) Get to either 191 lbs or 10% body fat
2) Get my belly measurement down to 36" or less
3) Complete one sprint triathlon, one 5K run, one 10K run and one Olympic distance triathlon

Reasons:
1) I reached 193 lbs and 14% body fat last year. I hit a major plateau and couldn't lose any more weight or fat. A lot of stress came my way and I took way too long of a break. Gained back 21 lbs so here I am at 214. Now I realize just how happy I was with the way I looked when I was 193. I want to get back there as quickly as possible. 191 would top off my weight loss at 60 pounds even. 10% body fat is something I have always wished to obtain. I think my abs would be visible.
2) At 36" my belly would be the same size or smaller than my waist and hips. I'd finally look proportionate and not have that damn spare tire look. Even at 193 I looked kind of like a decent body with too much fat around the belly.
3) I love triathlon training and I really loved the sprint triathlon I did last year. I want to become a real triathlete and start making significant progress. These are realistic distances for me yet they would be challenging to say the least. This would be a great step for me this year.

Good luck to you and everyone else!

Derrick

Last edited:
Hey Steve, congrats on expecting your first child!

Thanks Derrick.

I'm kind of curious what stage you are in right now. You trying to put on some muscle or just maintain? What's your weight these days? Hope I'm not prodding too much.

Not prodding at all.

It has been a while, believe it or not, that I focused on building muscle or losing fat. For the most part, at least for the time being, I'm done with that. For the past year or so, on the nutrition front, I've primarily focused on eating healthily while not paying much attention to quantity. I find that I have a natural proclivity to eat a level of calories that maintains my weight. It's when I want to lose fat or gain muscle that I have to make an effort. And since I'm not trying to do either of those... there's no effort.

On the training side, I'm more strength and performance based than ever before. I care much more about what I'm able to do, in and out of the gym, than I am about how I look in the mirror.

This way of "packaging" my lifestyle no doubt keeps me fit. It's just a shift of emphasis. Instead of worrying about the scale, the body fat, the muscle I worry about doing what I enjoy and matching my training with my needs. It works out nicely.
My goals for 2010:
1) Get to either 191 lbs or 10% body fat
2) Get my belly measurement down to 36" or less
3) Complete one sprint triathlon, one 5K run, one 10K run and one Olympic distance triathlon

Nice! I see you're focusing on distance running quite a bit. That's a path I've never ventured down, really. I've done 5ks here and there but they were for fun and charity... not competition. It's cool you enjoy that sort of thing though. I know quite a few runners who love it.
Reasons:
1) I reached 193 lbs and 14% body fat last year. I hit a major plateau and couldn't lose any more weight or fat. A lot of stress came my way and I took way too long of a break. Gained back 21 lbs so here I am at 214. Now I realize just how happy I was with the way I looked when I was 193. I want to get back there as quickly as possible. 191 would top off my weight loss at 60 pounds even. 10% body fat is something I have always wished to obtain. I think my abs would be visible.

Towards the end of the period when I actually actively dieted and bulked... whenever it would be time to diet, I'd want it over with right away, lol. I know that's not what I preach around here. The reason I don't b/c most are psychologically wired to put on whatever they take off quickly.

Me though... I'm not like that. I have a pretty good handle of my expectations as well as the physiological side of things. So when I'd diet, I would do something like Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss Diet. Get the fat loss over with as quickly as possible and move on.

2) At 36" my belly would be the same size or smaller than my waist and hips. I'd finally look proportionate and not have that damn spare tire look. Even at 193 I looked kind of like a decent body with too much fat around the belly.

That makes perfect sense.

3) I love triathlon training and I really loved the sprint triathlon I did last year. I want to become a real triathlete and start making significant progress. These are realistic distances for me yet they would be challenging to say the least. This would be a great step for me this year.

Triathletes have my respect... I'll tell you that!

Workout yesterday - upper body strength

Flat BB Bench - 1x3@225, 1x3@250, 1x4@285
Incline DB Bench - 3x10@60 (speed)
Chest Supported Rows - 4x15@70
Facepulls - 3x12
Reverse BB Curls - 3x10
Weighted Crunches

Hi Steve. Thanks for the info on where you are at with your training and your opinions on my goals. I wish I could get to where you are someday, focusing more on performance rather than how I look in the mirror. I just want to get to where I am satisified with how I look and then focus entirely on performance in regards to triathlons. Melissa (M_Marie) from this forum is pretty much at that point right now and she pulled it off in just under one year. I've been at this for coming up on two years in May. I got really close last year but slipped a bit as I mentioned. No problem though. I'm determined. I think I will look up this Lyle McDonald Rapid Fat Loss book/program. I know you've mentioned it several times. I also like the idea of being done with it quickly.

Hope everything is going well for you. Haven't seen you post in your journal in a while.

Derrick

Hi Steve. Thanks for the info on where you are at with your training and your opinions on my goals. I wish I could get to where you are someday, focusing more on performance rather than how I look in the mirror. I just want to get to where I am satisified with how I look and then focus entirely on performance in regards to triathlons. Melissa (M_Marie) from this forum is pretty much at that point right now and she pulled it off in just under one year. I've been at this for coming up on two years in May. I got really close last year but slipped a bit as I mentioned. No problem though. I'm determined. I think I will look up this Lyle McDonald Rapid Fat Loss book/program. I know you've mentioned it several times. I also like the idea of being done with it quickly.

Hope everything is going well for you. Haven't seen you post in your journal in a while.

Derrick

Hey Derrick -

Actually, what I've come to realize over the years, and this goes for my clients too... not just me... is the fact that a focus on performance begets physique results.

By that, I mean if we're consistently increasing and honing in on performance, our bodies are going to adapt in a way that's specific to your performance training.

I find it's a lot less stressful not worrying about every pound or percentage of body fat. Rather, it's fun to focus on getting better at what you enjoy doing and pairing this with common sense.

They're solid goals. Do you feel that by simply defining your goals you'll be able to stick with them? Or what do you personally do to maintain drive and motivation?
Steve, sorry I missed this post. I didn't mean to ignore your questions.

I think defining goals and writing them down does help. It sticks in your mind a little better that way. Right now, my motivation is mostly driven by health concerns, i.e., controlling the diabetes and blood pressure. Besides that, it is kind of fun right now, learning things and putting them into practice, and I am enjoying the results. So, at the moment, motivation isn't really a problem.

Hello Steve,
Welcome and well done!

Personally and I have noticed generally too, that having clear cut goals helps performance.

As for motivation, your ultimate goal of being at your healthy weight and looking your best and having minimum or no health concerns is great incentive!

Take care!

Steve, sorry I missed this post. I didn't mean to ignore your questions.

I think defining goals and writing them down does help. It sticks in your mind a little better that way. Right now, my motivation is mostly driven by health concerns, i.e., controlling the diabetes and blood pressure. Besides that, it is kind of fun right now, learning things and putting them into practice, and I am enjoying the results. So, at the moment, motivation isn't really a problem.

Sounds like you're in a great spot. That's awesome.

Back