Jennylee's diary

jennylee

And so it begins. After this post I'm off to bed. When i wake up in the morning I will be a healthy eater (puts foot down!). Occasional treat foods will become just that instead of afternoon tea. My new life-style (I hate the word diet) will be based around mainly low GI foods and lots of water. I don't own scales though I weighed myself at my mothers house yesterday and was 15kg over my normal weight (about 30lbs). I guess the best way I can judge my weight loss is with the numerous pants I could wear a year ago that won't go over my thighs anymore.
I think one of my main vices is binge drinking. Here in new zealand we are among the worst binge drinkers in the world. Its a lifestyle that we grew up with and continued. I get rather hammered about twice a week ( a lot less than I use to) by means of socializing, so I need to focus on moderation in that respect.
I have always had a lot of trouble staying motivated, I often get depressed with slow results and eat junk, so I might need a bit of a kick up the a** from you lot every so often :p
I work in a supermarket and am going to start bringing my lunch with me, as its too tempting to grab a chocy bar as you go through checkout. Also the salads at the deli are smothered if fatty sugary dressing, defeating the purpose of a healthy salad. Also the fruit in the produce department is always really gross, old and floury. I'm very picky about that as I use to work in a produce department in another store (the one I shop in) and it was
always immaculate.... fussy me.
I'm going to try to post everyday to keep me motivated. Wish me luck!!

Good luck .

day one 3pm.
Off to a good start :D . I got up at 6.30 this morning.
For brekkie I had half a tin of mixed beans, drained and rinsed with chili flakes and a bit of tomato sauce.
On my 11am break I had one mixed wholegrain peice of bread with 98% fat free tuna with chili.
I'm in the middle of lunch now, which consists of half a tin of beans with 1/4 cup of beet slices and 1/2 cup of peas.
I've also been drinking a lot of water, I just have to keep reminding myself to do it.
For dinner I'm cooking my other half corned beef, he loves it and has been away working all weekend. So I'm going to have a very small serving of that, with wholegrain mustard, carrots and lots of peas.
It looks like a lot when its all written down, but it certainly doesn't feel like it! I still want to eat, but when I really focus on it I'm not hungry, habit is just telling me that I am. Now I must go have a glass of water, and clean something!

Ok so day one didn't go so well, I ended up snacking on bread and marmite and had way more than a snack, so I've skipped dinner. Its 8pm and I'm not hungry so no more food for me today!!!!
Try again tomorrow. I don't have work tomorrow so I'll have to distract myself. I'll try to clean the entire house so i'm not tempted to eat out of boredom.

Its a new day! I am determined to do better today.
Haven't had brekkie yet, but I'm having wholewheat oats with 2% milk. I use to meditate a lot, I think I should start again to help control my appetite and cravings.
I'll update through the day to try to keep myself on track.

Every day is a new day jennylee , keep at it mate and you will make the changes you need to.You have started off well today.

2pm

I was a teeny bit naughty and had a midmorning sandwich. Wholegrain bread leftover corned beef with wholegrain mustard, but calorie and GI wise I'm still doing pretty good. For lunch I had 150gms of mixed beans on lettuce with sliced (tinned) beets. I've been drinking plenty of water, no tea or coffee but I had 1/2 a glass of 2% calcium fortified milk.
Its a beautiful sunny day here today and that has helped put me in a positive frame of mind, I'm feeling pretty good about myself at the moment.
I just worked out (roughly) the calories I have had today, including my planned dinner later on, and it is only just over 1000 cals! Which is great. It goes to show that the low GI plan is for me, the food is filling! The last time I only ate 1000 cals in a day I was so hungry and tired. I hope I can keep it up. Hell, I know I can NO MORE EXCUSES!!! WHOOOO!! :D

I did pretty ok today. Still struggling with my habitual eating, but increased water is helping a bit with that. Its payday tomorrow so I'm going to buy a bag of frozen blueberrys and some bananas for healthy smoothies to replace some snacks. As the day has dragged on I feel a little depressed about myself and my weight. Some times i'm so disgusted that I let myself gain so much weight. All and all i'm feeling very fat and ugly, but I have to be positive. I will return to my tiny pants again!
I tend to wrestle with the fact that weight loss is a process and not a quick fix. I spend a little time on the exercycle today, but I find that i don't have the endurance for it, or the patience as it is extremely boring. I find exercise difficult to force myself to do, I simply get no enjoyment from it. I walk to work because I have to, I have a licence, but thats only 10 or so minutes away. I'll be walking to the supermarket as well tomorrow, I will say now that i'll try to walk further, but i make no garantees. Maybe I'll feel more up to it in the morning, right now i just want to cry into a tub of ice-cream, good thing i've got none. So shower and bed it is.

Oh god, didn't I say "No more excuses" earlier? So what the hell was I doing just a minute ago. There no point getting down in the dumps over something like that. Sure I may feel like a fat slob, so its up to me to choose not to be a fat slob. I WILL be up early tomorrow. I WILL do some stretches and have a healthy breakfast. Then most importantly I WILL go for a walk. I will not take my wallet with me, so I can't just walk to the supermarket and back. I'll just have to go to the supermarket later in the day for another walk. Then to work at 4pm. I will not have another day sitting on my a** stressing about food. Thats the only part that makes a diet hard is the focus on food makes you think about it more.
My new motto will have to be "stop your whinging and do something about it"

Thanks girls, I don't usually have this attitude, I'm more of a self pity-er, but seeing it written here kind of forces me to judge myself a little harsher, which is a good thing. Its better than a diary on pen and paper because you know that other people can read it to, and respond to it. My written diary consists of pages and pages of "today i start my diet" over and over again. This is going to have to be the last one!

Today so far:
Got up and stretched for 10 minutes or so
Breakfast: 1 serving of wholeoats with 1/2 a banana and a splash of 2% milk.
Went for a 30minute walk moderate intensity
Went to town and put a book on layby as a little gift for myself, then to the supermarket for some healthy food, blueberries and raspberries, spinach, kiwifruit and some mixed beans. I was going to by some bread, but have decided that its a bit of a down fall for me, as I can't just have one sandwich, I always end up have 2 or 3. I wish you could by little half loaves of multigrain here.
Now I'm going to have a smoke (yes i'm a dirty smoker, one thing at a time though) do the dishes, clean the house and have a shower.

HI Jennylee,
good for you that you picked yourself up again - and you did the exercises and went for your walk - you go girl!!

As for the exercycle being boring, you can either try and move it in front of the TV - can you imaging how fast time will pass if you watch your favorite show. Also a good idea is music or even books on tapes - you put on the headsets and start cycling while listening to a great book or good music.

Good choices on the foods you bought at the supermarket, how about buying the loaf and then sticking the better part of it in the freezer?

Just some thoughts I had when reading your diary:)

Thanks lisa, good idea about the bread, I will get some bread, that way I can have easy lunches at work without being tempted to buy rubbish while i'm there. Sammies are easy to take with me, and plus I can't make another one at work when everything is at home. If its in the freezer I won't see it enough to be tempted.
just had lunch:
1/2 tin mixed beans with
1/4 cup chili tuna in water on
1/2cup blanched spinach
feeling ok, want to keep eating but don't need to.
I will make a smoothie around 3ish with 1/2 a banana, a handful of blueberries and lo-fat milk with extra calcium.
If I get too hungry before then I will have a kiwifruit.
Dinner tonight will be lean beef stirfry, with carrots, spinach, celery, leftover bean mix with garlic, ginger, oyster sauce and soy sauce.
I'll have to prepare it before I go to work so Mr. Jennylee won't be tempted to cook as he sometime does. He's a great cook, but would probably ruin my diet, or curry it, which is fine, but he has a theory that curry should be so hot that your entire face should go numb while eating it. :eek:
I'll post again before bed for a summary of the day.

Good new update!
Mr. Jennylee is on call all week. Usually I hate this, but this week it means that he can't drink, which means less temptation for me. I'll have to tell him not to buy me any alcohol either, sometimes he does this to be nice.

I must admit it is a prob for me as well. I go to the pub with the girls on thursdays. Out to dinner with my hubby on fridays and we usualy have bbq's on sat,Lots of points. The girls at ww told me to drink wine (as it is only 1 point per glass) So last thursday i did :eek: i got so drunk on 4 glasses of the stuff lol :eek: so i think i will stick to the beer its a point and a half ;)

Early night tonight, I did pretty good today, I did a little more exercise on the cycle, its very hard on my legs so I only managed 10 minutes. I went to work and there was a christmas snacks shout in the staffroom, when I was on my break I had a handfull of potato chips, but didn't go overboard. I still feel a little guilty about it. But on the plus side, I was asked to go outside a retrieve trolleys from the parking lot which took about 15mins and made me puff a bit. Its quite hard work trying to push and manuvoure 6 trolleys at once without hitting anyone car.
I had a small dinner despite my hunger after work, and I haven't snacked since I finished. Thats why I'm having an early night. If i'm asleep I won't be able to snack! Boredom is a trigger for me. Now that I know that I will have to be aware of it. If I have enough money left over I am going to buy a crossword/puzzles magazine to give me something to do while I watch T.V.
I went out into the shed today to look for some batteries and found some bathroom scales. They were inaccurate, but I made Mr.Jennylee jump on them, as his weight hasn't changed since he was 16, and we re-adjusted them. I weigh just over 80kg, my goal is 65-68kg (my normal weight).
All and all a successful day, but I can do better.

Day 4.
Its 7am here. I'm eating my breakfast. Whole grain oats with 1/4 cup of 2%milk and a few blackberries (note to self: blackberries in oats may sound tasty but really doesn't go too well).
We have horrible rainy weather today, thats not going to stop me getting some exercise.
I'm going to wait 30mins for my breakfast to settle and go for a walk.

you go girl - that's the right attitude.

Someone once told me that there is no such thing as bad weather, just unsuitable clothing.

I love that saying. I'm going to have to write that down. Oh! brainwave. I'm going to make up a little poster thingy with sayings like that to motivate me and stick it on my fridge, or mirror.
Well, I went for a 45minute walk this morning, walking fast warmed me up in this cold weather. By 11am I was ready for lunch, and I was going to have it, but the bottom part of my blender broke and the blades wouldn't turn. So I went out in the shed and found some heavy duty sealant that Mr. jennylee uses on his motorbikes and fixed it with that. This was definately a blessing in disguise because I had to wait for it to dry, so lunch was delayed an hour.
Lunch:
Smoothie :cool: made of:
1/2 cupLowfat plain unsweetened yoghurt
1/2 a banana
handful of berries (blackberry, blueberry and raspberry)
and 1/4 cup of fatfree milk
(total calories 160 (aprox.))

This Low GI thing is really working for me, I have so much energy at the moment. I guess I should go and utilise it and clean my house.

Back