I've been trying hard but results are not here

Its great that the weight is coming off. :party:

When you are limiting your calories - you kind of have two ways to go with things...

One way - you eat much the same food that you fancy - but have less of it so that it falls within your calorie total... In my experience you can easily get so that you feel hungry that way.

The other way - you take a logical look at which foods are filling and you can eat tons of it and it still not add up to too many calories... If you take this approach you can often solve the hunger problem...

Since the only successful way of doing this is to make a lifelong change of lifestyle and accept that you are not on a short term diet - the second way gets my vote...

OK - it may mean that you rarely see your favourite foods again - and you might end up developing a strange fondness for eating things like celery sticks and mushrooms.

For myself I would replace the bread (which I have pretty much axed from my diet) with a mountain of undressed salad or a huge pan of stir fried veg (cooked in fry light which is 1 calorie per squirt of oil spray).

Its great that the weight is coming off. :party:

The other way - you take a logical look at which foods are filling and you can eat tons of it and it still not add up to too many calories... If you take this approach you can often solve the hunger problem...

Since the only successful way of doing this is to make a lifelong change of lifestyle and accept that you are not on a short term diet - the second way gets my vote...

OK - it may mean that you rarely see your favourite foods again - and you might end up developing a strange fondness for eating things like celery sticks and mushrooms.

Yes you said correctly but exercise and walking for 1/2 hr are must along with limiting the food.

Yes you said correctly but exercise and walking for 1/2 hr are must along with limiting the food.

He said in the first posting that he goes to the gym regularly - at least 3 times per week and he runs 2 or 3 times per week so he is already doing regular exercise... His problems have been on the food side of the equation.

Last edited:
He said in the first posting that he goes to the gym regularly - at least 3 times per week and he runs 2 or 3 times per week so he is already doing regular exercise... His problems have been on the food side of the equation.

I've now switched to 2 times gym (doing split training - front/back muscles) and 3-4 times cardio / week.
Yes, my problem was on the food side of the equation ;)

Thank you everyone for your valuable advice! You're a great community.

It may help for you to read up on the following subjects:

low GI (glycemic index) foods
volumetrics

they may help you to identify food choices - to select a similar food that will be more filling...

Also - make sure that you are drinking enough water.
A lot of people think that they are feeling hungry when they are actually thirsty... The two feelings are very similar and if you confuse the two the "hunger" will not stop until you have drank enough...

Make sure that you are drinking 1 ounce of water for every 2 pounds that you weigh... be aware that caffeine is a diuretic so liquids that contain caffeine do not necessarily help the situation...

Hi---I SO SO SO know what you are going through! Can you send me an email at <email removed> and I can talk to you more about it? I think I have some great ideas for you but not sure it's appropriate to put here!?!?!?! ....Jeannie

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi---I SO SO SO know what you are going through! Can you send me an email at <email removed> and I can talk to you more about it? I think I have some great ideas for you but not sure it's appropriate to put here!?!?!?! ....Jeannie

The forum rules specifically say that people should not give out email addresses on the forum.
http://weight-loss.fitness.com/threads/37248-Welcome-to-WLF!-Rules-and-Info-Thread!

I had no alternative but remove it.

I have to say - if it is not appropriate to put it here - is it really appropriate to discuss with a stranger in a message?

Last edited:
Being a hard workout I am looking for a new one by which I can be healthy and fit too.Help all to find that new way.:)

Thank you.

Also - make sure that you are drinking enough water.
A lot of people think that they are feeling hungry when they are actually thirsty... The two feelings are very similar and if you confuse the two the "hunger" will not stop until you have drank enough...

Make sure that you are drinking 1 ounce of water for every 2 pounds that you weigh... be aware that caffeine is a diuretic so liquids that contain caffeine do not necessarily help the situation...

That's 3 litres for me then. Quite a lot. I will try to follow this tip aswell.
Does green tea counts? I drink green tea as it boosts metabolism and for me it is a great replacement for coffee (which I drink too, but rarely).

Check the caffeine content in the brand of green tea that you have.

You are better off with water than with liquid containing caffeine - when it comes to constipation etc...

Tim, I would suggest talking to a nutritionist and a personal trainer. You're obviously healthy, but you want to figure out a few things that need specific attention. While I know you can get great advice here, when in doubt, turn to the experts.
Or at least take an hour or so and do some online research. Other great sources of information are health magazines, especially Men's Health. Good Luck.

I have to say - if it is not appropriate to put it here - is it really appropriate to discuss with a stranger in a message?
LOL.... I bet she's only interested in making a sale. (if it really is a she) sounds pretty SPAMish to me.

Tim, I would suggest talking to a nutritionist and a personal trainer. You're obviously healthy, but you want to figure out a few things that need specific attention. While I know you can get great advice here, when in doubt, turn to the experts.
Or at least take an hour or so and do some online research. Other great sources of information are health magazines, especially Men's Health. Good Luck.

I agree...

None of us are experts.
We are just people like yourself that found the place when struggling with our own weight issues and for one reason or another hung around because we found the support helpful.

We have picked things up as we desperately looked around for answers - and we share what we pick up.

I often google and look to see what authorities like the Mayo Clinic, or the NHS say about things...
You will find spammers all over the internet (including places like wiki) who will swear that black is white in order to try to sell some magic potion or favourite notion...

We have enough problems with spammers turning up here and posting nonsense or more dangerously outright lies. I delete and edit numerous posts every day - as do the other mods - just to try to keep the place on track.

Hi, I'm Mary, I need to have some advices

Hi, my name is Mary, I allow to get into the discussion but I need to have some advices.
I tried any weight loss programs but every time I failed. Today, I'm careful with the food, I eat healthy but I lose almost nothing. I'd like to find a way to boost my weight loss.
Thank you. Mary.

Mary - you really do not tell us much about yourself in your statement - and you would need to tell us more before we could possibly suggest anything...

For instance - you say that you lose "almost nothing"... Almost nothing is not the same as "nothing"... Is your expectation too high? we hear people speak of "just a half a pound" without thinking of what half a pound of butter looks like...

You do not mention things like your current weight - a person who is already comparatively light will struggle to lose weight.

You do not hint at your activity level.

You say that you are careful with the food - but no hint of what you eat, how many calories... Some things are much higher in calories than people assume...

I went to gym for 3 months regularly. But that was not giving any results. i used to 100 crunches daily. But my abs were still flabulous :(

I went to gym for 3 months regularly. But that was not giving any results. i used to 100 crunches daily. But my abs were still flabulous :(

How much of the time at the gym were you working on your ABS?

Check out the exercise section of this site and of the parent site (fitness.com).

I believe that traditional crunches are not the best form of exercise for ABS... They come 11th in this analysis of the effectiveness of different ABS exercises

I this that it is worth you reading this article too:

Hi!

Mary - you really do not tell us much about yourself in your statement - and you would need to tell us more before we could possibly suggest anything...

For instance - you say that you lose "almost nothing"... Almost nothing is not the same as "nothing"... Is your expectation too high? we hear people speak of "just a half a pound" without thinking of what half a pound of butter looks like...

You do not mention things like your current weight - a person who is already comparatively light will struggle to lose weight.

You do not hint at your activity level.

You say that you are careful with the food - but no hint of what you eat, how many calories... Some things are much higher in calories than people assume...

Hi Omega,
Thank you for your answer,
I eat 3 meals per day, I eat vegetables, proteins, fruits, wholemeal starchy food (pastas, rice, bread), low fat dairy products. I avoid the alcohol, sodas, fruits juices with added sugars. I practise fitness twice per week. Finally, I lose on average 1 pound per month sometimes less. Really, I'd like to find a way to boost my weight loss. Do you think drinking water and tea, could help me?

Back