I've been trying hard but results are not here

3 litres seems like a lot to me. But thanks for advice, I will try to drink more water. I am going to be visiting WC more often than :)

BTW, here's what I ate today 'till now.
In the morning: 1 apple, 1 banana. That's about 200kcal.
Lunch: chicken breast, 250g, 1 wholegrain bagel, 80g. That's about 500kcal.
Total: 700kcal.
I plan on having another lunch today (at 17:00), and a dinner (at around 21:00).

According to my calculated BMR, I still need to eat about 2450kcal. That seems like a lot to me to squeeze into a lunch and dinner :)

To me it really sounds like that you're just eating too much. That's a lot of calories.

What is your intensity level and distance when you're running/hiking?

When you're eating fish, chicken etc, how is it prepared?

What kind of milk and how often?

How much cheese are you eating?

Any condiments?

Seems 2450 would be his maintenance intake, where he neither loses or gains, it's close to mine at my activity level. My losing intake is around 1500-1600 to lose 6-8 pounds a month.

He has already had 700 - which means that he thinks that he ought to eat 3150.

Since he wants to lose weight he should not be eating his BMR anyway. He needs to eat at a deficit to it to lose weight. You want a 500 calorie deficit if you want to lose 1 pound a week or a 1000 calorie deficit to lose 2 pounds.

No no, you misunderstood me.
My BMR sure is about 2270kcal per day, but that is my pure BMR, not my actual daily calorie consumption. I don't stay in bed the whole day --> I exercise a lot so I've selected level of activity 3 to 5 times per week. Check it out:
With the level and intensity of my workouts I believe that my daily calorie consumption is way above 3000kcal.

I run uphill 5km, and I do some serious weight lifting. I don't believe my daily consumption should be 1600kcal. With that I wouldn't be able to lift 10kg on bench press.

To answer BeHappyWMe:
I bake chicken almost without oil (I use coconut oil).
I drink low fat milk.
I don't eat much cheese, if I do I make sure it's low fat.
No condiments.

Last edited:
According to that BMR calculator, my BMR would be 3437 kcal. Even if I reduced that by 1000 kcal to get my 2 lbs / week loss, that would still leave me with 2400 kcal. Believe me, with that amount of kcal per day, I would actually be putting weight ON. The numbers are way off, and I think that The Heretic might be up to something - you're simply consuming too many calories.

I think you are going overboard with eating back your exercise calories, I have a very intense exercise load myself (logged in my diary here) but have no need to eat back any where near the estimates given by BMR calculators or using the manual formula, this allows for me to both gain muscle AND loose fat, all of my tracking is done via bodyfat% measured by callipers each month by an experienced technician.

Trus is a former national bench press champion and knows what she is talking about when it comes to intense exercise.

Okay, it seems that I am still eating too much than.
If BMR calculators are wrong (or way off) what should be my daily calorie intake than?
Like I said:
take into consideration the following (in addition to base BMR):
I go running (or hiking) 2-3 times per week,
I visit the gym 2-3 per week (heavy lifting, trying to get some more muscle).

I am aware that muscle building and weight loss are two different things. When muscle building I should eat more than I burn during the day (to fuel my muscle for heavy weight lifting), but if I want to lose weight I should eat less than I burn during the day (about 10% less).

So there isn't much I can do about this is there?
Maybe I will switch to weight loss now, because summer is near. But I still don't want to burn all my muscles with cardio. I will continue visiting the gym. I am just afraid that my muscle strength will decrease because of a lower calorie intake (and hence, lower muscle performance)....

Your opinion?

Thank you for all your suggestion so far!!

I had a feeling you were worried about losing your muscle mass, but you shouldn't worry. You're not gonna burn off all your muscle. If anything, your muscles will be more impressive because they'll be more visible when more and more fat comes off. I'm confident that you'll achieve the results you're looking for.

First, so I have all the info in one post

you are

Male, 27 years old
104 kg
20% BF
run 2-3 times per week (distance unspecified uphill) Assuming running, 7 mph (8.5 min/mile) for calculations (11 METS)
lifting 2-3 times per week (time unspecified) (6 METS)
LBM = 76 kg
Katch-McArdle formula (BMR based on lean body weight)
BMR (men and women) =
370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)
370 + (21.6 X 76) = 2012 BMR rounded up

METS to Kcal/min = multiply METS x 3.5 x body weight in kg then divide by 200

Weight Lifting (intense)= (6 X 3.5 X 104)/200 = 10.92 Kcal/min
1 hour of lifting = 655 calories

Running = (11 X 3.5 X 104)/200 = 20 Kcal/min (rounded down)
1 hour of running = 1200 calories

So based on BMR + Exercise

Non Active Day 2012 calories
Weight Lifting Day 2667 calories
Running Days 3212 calories

These would be the estimated calories needed for maintenance and a better estimate could be made for running days if pace was known.

So I take it that he should cut these figures by 500 if he wants a 1lb per week loss and 1000 if he is shooting for 2lb per week.

yep Omega, but as you know nothing is perfectly precise when it comes to these types of estimates but it is a starting point.

LOL I certainly know that... As a PCOS lady - my body works less according to mathematical formula too...

I thought that it may be an idea to make sure that any readers remembered it...

He'll probably find it easier to eat an average level every day - otherwise he'd be really hungry on the rest days...

Averages are great, I just broke it down that way so my working out could be seen, it is almost midnight here if you find any errors in my maths :D

People do tend to get caught up in the maths and expect things to be totally predictable...

Looking at the week as a whole - with 3 running days, 3 weight days and 1 rest day - that means that 2807 maintains, 2307 to lose 1lb a week and 1807 to lose 2lb per week.

First, so I have all the info in one post

you are

Male, 27 years old
104 kg
20% BF
run 2-3 times per week (distance unspecified uphill) Assuming running, 7 mph (8.5 min/mile) for calculations (11 METS)
lifting 2-3 times per week (time unspecified) (6 METS)
LBM = 76 kg
Katch-McArdle formula (BMR based on lean body weight)
BMR (men and women) =
370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)
370 + (21.6 X 76) = 2012 BMR rounded up

METS to Kcal/min = multiply METS x 3.5 x body weight in kg then divide by 200

Weight Lifting (intense)= (6 X 3.5 X 104)/200 = 10.92 Kcal/min
1 hour of lifting = 655 calories

Running = (11 X 3.5 X 104)/200 = 20 Kcal/min (rounded down)
1 hour of running = 1200 calories

So based on BMR + Exercise

Non Active Day 2012 calories
Weight Lifting Day 2667 calories
Running Days 3212 calories

These would be the estimated calories needed for maintenance and a better estimate could be made for running days if pace was known.

Thank you for this. Let me give you some more info.

BF% could be lower, I can't really measur it. I just compared my outlook with this image:
I am somewhere in between the guy with 15% and 20% :)

Distance when running: usually 5 kilometres - 2.5 km in on direction of which 2 km is uphill. Time ~25 minutes, so pace is 5 min / km. My sport watch (garmin forerunner 305xt - great watch by the way - tells me I burn about 570 kcal for 1 run).

Weight lifting: 45 - 60 minutes, quite intense. For example I am pushing about 115kg on bench press now (2-3 reps). I am talking pauses between sets, I am not doing 60 minutes of pure weight lifting of course (I mean, I switch different exercises). So pure activity would be 30 minutes max.

Again, thanks all for your valuable replies.

And sorry for my metric units :p

Hey your doing good timtim85, just keep at it, especially the running and weight lifting routines, fatloss takes time you know? but you'll get there. There's a website I think it's called "body recomp" or something like that run by a guy named Lyle, Google it. They had a thread where people tell you what they think your bodyfat is if post a photo. Plus, they have tons of good info.

knotty

Having lost 80 pounds in less than a year, I can tell you that the only time I really have struggled since (I've kept it off!??!) was WHILE TRAINING FOR A MARATHON!?!?! It is very easy to think that you are eating enough but when you work out you actually need more. You also need to be eating every 2 or 3 hours. I have lots of suggestions but maybe that is enough for now :)

For everyone mostly gaining weight is easy, loosing and maintaining is very difficult which I am also coming through now by my workouts.:)

Hello everyone. I'm back. I've been doing pretty well for the past 2 weeks. I eat less food and I can say that kilograms are coming off. The difference is already noticeable.
But I must say that eating less is very hard. I mean, I'm hungry all the time and I don't have that much energy than I used to have. But I guess this is normal for calorie deficit..?

Yesterday I ate:
for breakfast: 2dcl milk with cerelas and a banana,
1st lunch: 250g chicken breasts, 100g wholegrain bread,
2nd lunch: mixed salad with 180g of tuna, 2 slices of wholegrain bread, olive oil,
after workout: 40g of whey protein with 2 dcl milk,
dinner: 200g of chicken breasts, 1 green pepper,

What do you guys think?

Back