If Not Now, Then When?

I like New Year's Day just fine but New Year's Eve get on my nerves. But it can feel a bit like when I started a new notebook in school and wanted the first page to look perfect. And I always messed up a word so it looked ugly.

New Year can be discombobulating. We put so much pressure on ourselves usually. This year I decided not to make any new year resolutions. I am going to keep on doing what I was doing. I am working on getting healthier & will continue to do so. Just you keep on being the lovely Sunflower. :beating:
That wine at the end of the day is a very hard habit to give up. I took July off wine altogether & then again a month before Christmas, had some at Christmas & some bubbly NYE but can now say I have kicked that everyday habit. You need delicious alternatives. I mix up some diet soft drinks (tonic & lemonade/ tonic & ginger beer/kombucha & soda, for example, add ice, a slice & a squeeze of lemon or lime. Also, I'm drinking lots of water. You choose better food when you're not drinking wine.

Yes, that's exactly the feeling Lama.. A new notebook anxiety!

You're right, cate..I'd feel better without it I'm sure but feels like an old friend at this point! I shouldn't have started the evening glass again after having the baby.. Glad you've managed to break the habit!

Bed now - cals were a little high. Baby is feeding all day long so my supply has really increased and I'm very hungry. Mostly healthy calories - seeds, cashews, dried Broad beans and corn, lentil crisps etc.. But still high.

My parents are down for the night tomorrow and have two huge walks planned with their dog. Wish they'd offer to take the little ones for an hour so me and Yank could go for a coffee and some time alone. Maybe I'll ask. They are usually pretty good at helping out but sometimes I need to be direct about what I need.
Scales still showing 218 today so happy with my 4lbs down for the week!

Telling people how they can best help you is a healthy habit. Most people are genuinely happy to help if it isn't too costly.
Healthy calories are definitely better than unhealthy ones but they can still add up quickly. Do you eat the broad beans plain or are they fried and salted? I don't think I've seen them as snacks here.

Yes, I think you're right. Good to ask for what we need.. I find it hard to do that sometimes and try to do it all and end up a bit burned out..

These are the snacks..they are delicious and healthier than a bag of crisps, I hope!

Screenshot_20220102_094334_com.tesco.grocery.view.jpg

Thanks for looking them up! They are slightly lower in calories than potato chips and have a lot more protein so if they aren´t too moreish they could be a decent alternative. I hate it when companies put calories/nutrition per (tiny) portion instead of per 100 g though: makes me think they´re hiding something.

Hope your parents' visit goes great Sunflower and you get the time alone you need with Yank.

I can imagine being a parent to two small kids is a rollercoaster and it's hard to find time to decompress. You are coping great! :)

(I bought Annie Grace's 30 Day Alcohol Experiment book last year - while I am back to my old ways since, I did follow it and took a month off alcohol. I would recommend it if you feel like you need a wine break. The benefits in terms of energy levels are the best part.)

G & I are both bad at asking for help, but when your kids are little make the most of your parents being there, hon & ask away. They probably don't want to interfere, but will most probably jump at the chance.
I ignored my own advice last night & indulged in a few bubblies. I really enjoyed them & felt quite tiddly & realised how easy it would be to fall straight back into my old habits so am back on the wagon today. It's a slippery slope. Taking a break altogether does make you realise that your energy levels do lift without it.

Thanks lovelies. They were very good and did bath time and lots of toddler amusing. I stayed under 1800 calories. Need to get more batteries for the scales today as they died this morning. Should probably only weigh once a week anyway.

Meeting mum and dad for another hike today and taking the baby this time (was raining yest so baby stayed home with Yank).

We did 11,000 steps yesterday, had casserole, rice and tender stem broccoli for dinner and I had a bowl of soup for lunch. No snacking! And two small glasses of white wine.

Baby only woke twice at midnight and 5am for a feed. Having some issues with her latch so it's really painful at the moment so need to focus on getting her on attached properly today.

Will take some photos of our walk today and post them. I love our new area..

Sounds like a good day! And nice that you got to spend some time with Yank. Ouch on the latching issues though :confused:

It's a real pain, LaMa..dreading feeding her at the moment.

Beautiful walk, little E managed 4 miles! We did 11,000 steps. Was glorious! Got completely muddy, chased by some cows, bribed E with biscuits to get him around the circuit and enjoyed the views!

Home now, just had half a toasted sandwich and now have a snoozing baby on me so won't be doing much for the next hour. Bliss!

Attachments

• IMG_20220103_142224_924.jpg
    IMG_20220103_142224_924.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 7
Gorgeous! Did you see it has a place tag on it though? I don't know how anonymous you want to be here.
Beautiful walk, little E managed 4 miles! We did 11,000 steps. Was glorious! Got completely muddy, chased by some cows, bribed E with biscuits to get him around the circuit and enjoyed the views!
That sounds like quite the adventure day for a toddler. I had a nightmare about getting chased by a rhino-sized bull last night so I don't envy you.

I'm glad you're getting some respite with your parents around & some fun outdoor activity. Just reading about your sore nipples gave me a flashback to when D was little. I had a cracked nipple & rang a breastfeeding hotline. They asked me if I had a spot in my backyard that was private, recommended putting wool fat on my nipples & letting them have some sun. They were fixed in one day. Even without the sun, the wool fat would help I think.

Is that the same as lanolin, Cate? I used that with E when he was a baby but it's verging on a wound now rather than a blister so I'm worried about putting anything on it. I'm feeding through the pain at the moment as it will pass and breastfeeding is one of my very very favourite things in the world.

I think lanolin is a mixture of wool fat & water. I have a jar that's called Anhydrous Lanolin, but the stuff I used to have smelt a lot more like a sheep. Maybe ask at a chemist store or health food shop. It would be fine on a wound & would help protect it. I used to love breastfeeding too. You feel so close to your baby :beating:

I agree with cate, wool fat work wonders. Look for "lansinoh nipple cream" and it did not bother little miss (now 4) lanolin is just more refined than raw wool fat.

Have just bought some lanolish after a very painful night of feeding! 5:30 here and A has woken for her 2nd feed.

Yank managed to find some more work yesterday at a local pub so has a shift coming up soon. Super skint on mat leave so the extra money will help but the pub has terrible reviews so hopefully it won't be too shit to work for.... Needs must. Car has MOT today so imagine we will be hemorrhaging money today.

Calories yesterday were 1750. Crumpets for lunch, cashews and seeds for a snack and pesto pasta bake with veggies for dinner. No alcohol..go me! Got some Pomegranate and Rose Gin in the cupboard I might try tonight. Steps were only 5000 yesterday as it was raining so just pottered.

Today I am seeing a friend (yay!) for a muddy stomp with our toddlers. She wants lunch in the village after but we need to save pennies so I'm going to feign lack of hunger I think. Then I'll have to pick the car up and Yank is playing some call of cathulu with some pals from the states online this evening so I'll be chilling with my bleeding nips.and.trying not to weep into a gin whilst I feed the baba.

Oh, hon. Lather those nipples with lanolin & keep putting it on. I hope they heal quickly. I hope the shift works out well for Yank too. 🤞

Fingers crossed for Yank and the nips (what kind of band would that be?). Also the car. Cars are so expensive!

Back