How do you gain energy?

ChocolateBunny

I discussed in another thread that I couldn't seem to get out of bed this morning. I wasn't sure if it was due to stress or taking 10mg Melatonin for the first time last night. Although, yesterday was a different feel, I am usually very lazy in the mornings even though I wake up early usually, and on the weekends, I feel my body is starving for a nap(so I give in). I have a nasty habit of drinking energy drinks when I feel it absolutely necessary to survive the work day.

My doctor has already prescribed me 1x weekly vitamin D pills. What other things do you guys do or eat to gain energy?

I'm considering cold showers and invigorating(smell) body wash.

If your not used to melatonin it takes time to build up to the full desired dose. I have no residual effects from melatonin however I don't take it for help with sleep. I am a little surprised your doctor has your vit D as a weekly supplement, it is something that usually needs a daily dose if your lacking. I take a lot of Vit D everyday if I miss too many days my blood tests will show it at alarmingly low levels (my body does not produce it)

Giving up the energy drinks and all other caffeine has helped me to be less tired during the day.

Probably not the only problem but it sounds like your circadian rhythm might be messed up. For me having a set rhythm helps a lot with sleep quality. In order to reteach your body when it's time to be awake you can:
- Go to bed but more importantly get up at the same time every day for two weeks.
- Open the curtains and/or turn on bright ligths first thing in the morning and reduce the light intensity (especially blue light/screens) at least an hour before bed time.
- Don't exercise intensely for at least the last two hours before bed.
- Maybe try exercise in the morning to wake yourself up properly.
- Don't drink caffeine or other stimulants after noon.
- No naps longer than 20 minutes.

No guarantees because I can't say for sure this is the issue but if it is: with consistency even serious night owls can reacquaint themselves with daylight activity.

I have no residual effects from melatonin however I don't take it for help with sleep.
If you don’t mind me asking, if you don’t take it for sleep, then what do you take it for?
it is something that usually needs a daily dose if your lacking
Looked it up, apparently the weekly does is a very, very high one. That actually requires a prescription here. Whereas, the daily can be bought in the store. I think there is a little debate as to which one is better but since I’ve had low levels all my life and I’m not good at taking daily medication, I opted for the weekly one.

Probably not the only problem but it sounds like your circadian rhythm might be messed up.
Ahh 😭 Bingo. I’m gonna blame it on my one year old son. Ever since he was born he’s been waking up in the middle of the night. Not always crying but simply rolling over in his sleep to breastfeed and my body has just grown aware of him in the bed, being awake. I think I did sleep through the night with the Melatonin though 🤔
In order to reteach your body when it's time to be awake you can:
Damn, I’ve done everything wrong on that list. Thank you.
- No naps longer than 20 minutes.
A power nap, oh man, I’ve tried those in college and I went right back to sleep. I usually nap only on weekends but for 90 minutes. I’m gonna have to try it again though.

Definitely going to come back to this thread when I try everything for a while!

If you don’t mind me asking, if you don’t take it for sleep, then what do you take it for?
mitochondrial health and increased ATP production. I order pure melatonin powder from the US.

No prescription is needed for weekly Vit D here but it is a pharmacy only medicine. While daily may have better efficacy I understand going for weekly if taking it daily is a problem.

90-minute naps are an excellent alternative when you can't get enough sleep during the night but while you try to get used to a regular sleeping pattern you don't want to be having full sleep cycles during the day. I have to set an alarm for 20 minute naps. I set it at 25 minutes and when I do I wake up no problem (before the alarm) bit if I don't I either fret about whether or not I'll wake up or I'll sleep through.

mitochondrial health and increased ATP production. I order pure melatonin powder from the US.
Oh lord o_O I’m gonna assume that this is what you study. I tried to Google it and didn’t know what I was looking at. I just saw it improved cognitive function, well I need to do that then too because my brain is all over the place. Hopefully, gummies will help in the long run, certainly not as fancy as powder.

You definitely seem like the person to go to, to talk about supplements. Awesome!

Hopefully, gummies will help in the long run, certainly not as fancy as powder.
nothing fancy, I have an allergy to wheat so often the fillers used to make tablets and the other ingredients in gummies will cause an allergic reaction so I have to be extra careful with what I consume. Melatonin helped my Autistic sons with their ability to concentrate when they were younger, the paediatrician said it was an experimental treatment back then, seems much more common now.

Back