Weight-Loss Group 4

Weight-Loss
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Shannon! Welcome to our group.
I'm fairly new here too, and this is my first challenge as well, but I think here how it goes:

You're supposed to check in our group's thread regularly. If we don't hear from you in 3 days or so, the group has a right to vote you off the team. I think this is done because people in the past gave up without letting anyone know and that reflected negatively in the final scores for that team. I doubt that's going to happen tho!

You can weigh yourself if you want to every day, but don't post it anywhere on the forum(you can PM it to your team mates, that's not a problem). We are supposed to keep this secret until the challenge ends. Basically, everyone just posts their starting and ending weights.

Other then that, we are just trying to loose as much weight as we can in the next two weeks. We support each other here in our thread, and if you like, you can share your weight loss strategy, or report your nutrition/exercise for a day.

Good luck!

hi everyone. thanks for your support. i only have a minute but i wanted to check in. welcome shannon! don't worry, i won't fall off the wagon as this drama has made it clear to me (again) how important it is to be in shape and be strong and feel good about yourself in order to get through all this 'life stuff'. so no worries, i am taking care of myself. will hopefully be losing with the rest of you!! i had pilates tonight and it was awesome. i also ate 1250 calories today so i feel good. a good night sleep and i should be back and ready to fight this crazy world. i'll write more responding to all your posts later...sounds like everyone is doing well, but where is cate?

Skyler, glad to hear you're doing well. I'm sure you guys will get through this "life stuff" soon!

Cate has been MIA for a few days. Hope she's doing ok.

I was faily good too yesterday. 1150 calories, just around my goal, and did 13 minutes on the bike, along with crunches/squats/etc.

All the best everyone, let's keep it up!

yesterday

I love your high spirit Skylar!! I'm sure everyone will work out, just keep the positive attitude.

So yesterday I was feeling pain all over my body (especially my abs) because of the workouts I did all week. It finally caught up to me. So yesterday was a day off. Today I am back on my workout routine which is the biggest loser dvd. It is such a tough workout and I used to be an athlete (used to being the key word....hahaha). I have been eating great and havn't been tempted to go off the diet. Have any of you tried typing in what you ate on some website....fit ..something (I'll look at it when I get home from work). But anyways I thought I was eating my proper calories for the day but I was way under. Yesterday I was about 848 calories. I'm not sure if it is correct but it looks right. So today I am going to try to get closer to my 1200 limit so I won't quit this diet due to hunger or anything like that.

How are you guys trying to lose your weight? any particular diets? workouts?

I do use fitday--and I always try to stay between 1300 and 1500, because if I go any lower, I don't lose any weight at all. So, this is going to sound REALLY silly I bet, but I figure my average number of calories for the week ought to be 1400 per day. So then I plan my week--1100 one day, 1700 the next, and so on... it's a variation of "The Wendie Plan" that some WW members use. It's always worked really well for me.

I did well yesterday. Used the elliptical for 40 minutes, and ended up at 1350 even though DH and I went to Applebees for dinner. I had their new Thai Chicken Pizza. It was really good, and only about 300 calories. Yay!

Have a great day, everyone.

Shannon, I use fitday as well to track everything I eat. It helps me a lot to stick to a goal and make good food choices. I have a self-devised plan of keeping around 1200 calories. This worked in the past for me, so should work now. You can read my 1st post in this thread for a summary of my plan. :)

Congrats on sticking with the biggest looser program. I don't know many details, but it sounds like it is a tough one. Its a good idea to rest muscles when they get sore. Soreness means the muscle needs to rebuild itself so they can be stronger and that can only happen during rest. However, you can do a light aerobic workout like walking(unless your legs hurt to walk). I think getting good blood flow to muscles is helpful when they are healing, so if you have a desk job I would advise taking a few short walks throughout the day, it helps to avoid stiffness.

Rialyynn, going out to eat and staying low on calories - I am truly impressed! With current portions and foods served it is very hard to do this! Good job on exercise as well. Way to go!

hey all. how are ya? thanks shannon for noticing the positive attitude. my whole life has been surrounded by 'change the way you think, and you'll change the way you feel'. sounds funny but it actually works for me. anyways, sounds like everyone is doing great. nothintolose, you've become a great cheerleader (of a sort) for us all. its awesome. thanks. so, not only is this time SO emotional/stressful, blahblahblah, now my husband is around a LOT more (due to lack of work) -funny in a way cuz i am psyched that he is around but i am eating with him! yikes! so far so good though, last night i splurged on sushi. i absolutely LOVE it and it is so low in calories and filling it is amazing. i am slightly dissappointed b/c i don't 'feel' like i am losing anything this week but i am trying to keep my head up as what the heck do i know? And, i really try to only weigh myself once per week as my mother was the type on the scale 4 times a day and that is just not for me. its the weekend, so good luck all....i always find it harder to stick to the 'plan' as i end up drinking. oh yeah, somebody asked diet and exercise plan? i use fitday.com as well. i think we all do, which is interesting. i try to stay within 1200-1400 calories and write EVERYTHING down. also, i have an elliptical *a cheap one* but it works and use that 4 times a week trying to do different exercises on it , ranging from 30-60 minutes as well as pilates and some weight training myself. i can never get myself to the gym so i had to bring the gym to myself ;). happy saturday!
s

Keep it up team!!!

Sounds like you are doing great Sklar! My husband is a teacher so he has been off the last 2 weeks and when I come home to make something he asks if we can have pasta or a sidekick with our meal. It took him a few days to realize what this diet was about (eating healthy and proper portions) but he is getting better. Yesterday he made dinner and made some small fast fry steaks with carrotts and salad. He also made jello (which by the way is awesome for calories...about 5 a serving..which is quarter of the box). He's been really great but he hates the counting calories part. My husband found his gaining mass protein yesterday so he think he may take that to help him keep around the size he is (which is 295....ya i know, he's HUGE....but mostly all muscle).
My workout yesterday was a low impact aerobics from the biggest loser DVD which I found really tough but I felt great afterwards. I also ate great yesterday so hopefully I am losing weight. I need to buy a scale for home because I only weigh myself at work and since I quit my job on Thurs. I will definitely need a place to get weighed. So yes, I gave my work two weeks notice on Thurs. because I was offered one in a school board. My husband is teacher so that will be great for us, especially when we have kids. So I'm very excited about that but money may be an issue for awhile so that may get stressful. We'll see, no point in worrying about it now.

rialyynn- that pizza sounds great....I'll have to try that next time we go there. Way to go!

NothinToLose- The biggest loser diet isn't hard at all....but who knows if I am following it to a T. For my weight I am allowed 1200 calories for the day. You need to eat breakfast, have a mid-morning snack, lunch, mid-afternoon snack, dinner, and evening snack. They want you to stay away from processed foods and stick to more natural foods for the most part. In the biggest loser bok my husband doesn't like fish and that is what a lot of the dinners are so we just took the recipes from some other sites that had the same amount of calories and switched them in. So basically I try and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and meat/chicken...also you can have carbs just need to watch the calories.

Well it looks like everyone is doing great....keep it up team, and we'll be at our ideal weight in no time!!!

Skyler, glad to hear you're doing ok. Mmmm, SUSHI... I LOVE it too! I'll have to dragg my hubby out soon. :)

I am not a gym person either, so I use stationary exercise bike at home and doing strength/toning exercises like situps, squats, leg extentions, etc. Yesterday was a good day for me, I was able to put in 30 min of exercise, and stayed around 1000 calories.

Weekends are actually easier for me in terms of food and being hungry. I am usually occupied with something most of the day, so I tend to eat 3 meals and not snack too much. It is harder during the day, because I have a computer/desk sitting job and I always want to snack and chew on something when working at the computer. Also, I tend to move more on weekends with cleaning house/playing with cats/cooking, etc.

Hmm. I exercised a lot yesterday--40 minutes on the elliptical and a 30 minute walk with the boys--but I had some chips and salsa while watching a movie last night, which pushed me over my goal calories. Damn those skinny underweight husbands. My husband eats reeses peanut butter cups in bed, and is 6'2'' and 130 pounds. ARRGGH! ;-)

But that's okay. The walk made up for the calories in the chips, so I'm still doing well! LOL! But I'm starving to death today, because I'm making cabbage rolls for dinner, and I need to have enough calories left to eat them. Yum.

CDN, the biggest loser DOES sound interesting. I may pick up the book when I'm out today, because it sounds like a really good idea.

I go to the gym almost every day, but I'm not really a gym person either. I just go there because it's where Eddie has preschool--and since it's the YMCA it's mostly older, larger people, so I never feel like I'm this elephant in a room full of ballerinas, IYKWIM..

Ha-ha-ha! Rialyynn, I know exactly what you mean! Everytime I went to the gym, it was bunch of athletic men doing weight to bulk up and bunch of skinny athletic women doing aerobics. I felt way out of place and out of shape! Plus I'm too lazy to have to go somewhere else just for exercise. Its hard enough to start and stick to exercise, I don't need to overcome another challenge of driving myself to the gym! LOL

CDN, I only know about the diet/exercise requirements for The Biggest Looser from your posts and from this post:
http://weight-loss.fitness.com/showpost.php?p=34243&postcount=13

And the calorie breakdown for my weight sounds too small - 1050 per day is not something I can live on and sustain for duration of weight loss program. Also, the eating regimen with what you eat when is just a bit too strict for me. I like the freedom of picking and choosing during the day what I eat, as long as I stay below 1200 cals. It just would mean too much change to my diet all at once. I'm a big fan of "change one thing at a time, and make changes small enough that they can be easily sustained". However, that's just me and I'm weird, and if it works for you, it is wonderful!

I don't know but most of exercise classes I took were way above what my body could do physically, so from past bad experiences I'm staying away from pre-designed exercise programs, because when I cannot achieve what they give me to achieve, it makes me feel very frustrated, out of shape and inadequate, which in turn makes me very angry, which leads to me giving it up, because it is very hard to do something when the very idea of doing it creates tons of negative feelings.

Ok, I did not mean to vent on my past failures. Need to concentrate on current and future successes, right? Its just at this point I cannot even imagine doing straight 30 min of aerobic activity at one time. I rode the bike yesterday for 10 min, and they were very long and hard 10 minutes, I could not wait to stop, even tho the resistance was set on low!

Well, good luck to everyone. I'm off to do my exercises!

Checking in on Sunday

I did pretty good on calories yesterday - 1240. After Skyler's post I was dreaming of sushi all day, so hubby and I got some for dinner. It was really yummy!

Not so good on exercise. I did manage to do my toning stuff, but was not able to get on my bike. My past health problems have reared their ugly head again, and today I have delayed onset muscle soreness all over the body.

The good news is that I did seem to shed some digits from the scale, but we'll see what happens in a week.

Hope everyone is doing great.

hey all. it is snowing here in boston. good thing for the elliptical in the house b/c i wouldn't have gone anywhere! so, got up and did 45 minutes on that. i feel good. calories yesterday came to just under 1100 and i drank lots of water and has my vitamins,etc. i am frustrated (again) though as i know we are not supposed to post our weights during this challenge but i am doing all the right things and i feel like my body is rejecting my efforts! ever get like that? this week, my average calories have been 1200, cardio 4 times, strength training 3 times and yesterday cleaned my house and my 2 dogs (a lot of effort which took about 3 hours!). patience. patience. patience. iknow. i just needed to vent to my group here!!

nothintolose- that's funny that you got some sushi! i hope you enjoyed yourself. it totally gets stuck in your head (or at least mine) and then i crave and just have to go fulfill!!

ryallyn- i hear ya on the guys who can eat anything and still be thin. i have one of those in my house as well. guess that's part of being female! sounds liek you have been doing great. glad to hear it.

shannon - how are you?

did we lose cate?

thanks for listening to me gripe! s

Hey everyone! I did okay yesterday. Didn't get much in for exercise. Okay... nothing, actually. But I was good on calories, and ended up at 1350. :) I fully intend upon going for a walk and cleaning the house today...

Skyler--Does it ever happen to you that you don't lose ANYTHING for like a week, and then drop 4 pounds over night? Or lose 3 pounds just because af starts? That's how I seem to lose weight, anyway. Maybe that's what's going on.

Nothintolose-sushi sounds wonderful. II would totally get some for dinner tonight if I weren't the only one in my family who likes it. *sigh* wish I could talk DH into eating it! ;-)

Shannon--you sound like you're doing well! What is it like in Ontario? I love Canada, but haven't been out there at all--just to Edmonton and Winnepeg

Hi everyone!

Hey everyone! Glad to hear you are all doing well. So I kind of cheated yesterday as we had McDonalds. After eating all healthy for the past week my body did not enjoy the fast food. So at least I won't be having anymore cravings for that. I had another good workout yesterday and I am actually doing another workout after I write on here.

rialyynn- Ontario is very nice, we have lots of snow right now. I live about 30-45 mins outside of Toronto. Where are you from?

skyler- I'm doing alright, was getting frustrated also because I bought a scale yesterday with a body fat counter also and my results for the week were not as great as I thought. It does get very frustrating but I know you just can't lose the weight overnight. Good thing is that we have each other to vent to when we feel like this.

NothinToLose- Sounds like you are doing awesome!! Keep it up girl!! Ya i think 1050 calories would be too little for you. I find 1200 just right.

Where is cate? Did she decide to quit the challenge? I see that she is still writing on the forum though.

Well everyone have a great night!!! Stay positive!!!

Snowing? Brrr... It was 49 here in MD. I even persuaded myself to go horse riding and even had a good ride despite DOMS from yesterday, so should be good on exercise today. :)

Skyler, its ok to vent - that's what we are here for. We've got to support each other through this, right?

I agree with Rialyynn, its possible you need to wait a little more before scale shows things. My body is that way too. Nothing happens for a week or two and then all of the sudden 2 lbs are gone. Remember when the scale did budge, remember what you did. Maybe you ate a little less or maybe you exercised a little more? Personally I know if I go over 1200, even a little bit, my weight loss slows down a lot!

Rialyynn, my hubby does not like sushi either, but I'm slowly getting him used to it. :) He does like california rolls and he usually orders something more normal like chicken teryaki. :)

Take care, all! 2nd week is only in a few days!

I PM'd Cate. I hope she will see it when she logs in next time.

Last edited:
i know. i know. thanks for the kind words. i just wish (as i'm sure you all do) that if you followed the 'rules' then the lb.s woudl drop off. guess not!! :) patience is the key. day by day. thanks for the support.
s

I know Skyler, I whished so many times that the scales follow "the rules" and reward you as soon as you've been eating good. Maybe what we need is a very precise scale that measures body fat in pounds, and when you loose like a 10th of a pound you would know. :) Then at least we'd know that we are on a correct path. Problem with current scales is that they are not precise enough to show that kind of difference. Unfortunately, looking to the scale for validation of our good behavior really does not work in the short term. We have to have confidence in our current plan (eating a # of calories and exercising anough) that we are going to loose weight.

I also wanted to note that the less a person weighs, the harder it is to loose weight because Basal Metabolic Rate is based on your weight. 2 lbs of flesh will burn more calories per hour then 1lb of flesh, even if it is fat. So, as we loose weight we have to either eat even less, and exercise more as we loose weight. As far as I know to raise metabolic rate, only consistant exercise and muscle building works, so long term plan should really be adding muscle and exercises. I personally accepted that as a fact of life, if I want to loose pounds and keep them off, I will always have to watch what I eat.

Sorry for the ramble... I was feeling phylosophical this morning.
Good luck everyone!

Tuesday

Ok, all, I may need some support soon. :)

I think I'm catching a cold. I was feeling really crappy yesterday. Did not do any exercises, except for short stair walk at work. The problem is that when I am sick, I crave all the things that are bad for me! Yesterday I was watching TV in bed and even tho I was not really hungry, I was craving all sorts of fast food, french fries, ice creams, shakes, cookies, basically any food commercial on TV! Because food is such a great feel-good drug, it is so tempting to use it when I'm sick! But, even if I don't cave in to those cravings, when I'm sick I drink lots of tea. It is very soothing and comforting and it makes me feel better, but it has calories! Unfortunately I cannot drink it without sugar and some artificial creamer, and I hate artificial sweeteners.

I'm going to try staying around 1200 tho. Yesterday I was about 1250. Not too bad, considering.

Also, I realized that for the last 6 days I have been staying around the same weight. I was delighted at first at the loss, but I hope it will start moving again soon. After all, I was really good last week!

Ok, I have to stop overthinking things and get back to work.

Have a good day everyone! Only 1 more week to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back