Gastric Balloon

Status
Not open for further replies.

I contacted Prague Beauty in January and they were very helpful, in fact advised I should have my thyroid checked, scan for polycystic ovaries and go on a high protein diet. I am vegan, very healthy and exercise yet have gone from 8 stone to nearly 12 stone over the last 7 years.

I have tried everything and have come back to the conclusion that the balloon is the only way forward for me. I eat haelthy but maybe need portion control. I am not large enough for my GP to help me, she will not prescribe anything and just gave me a diet sheet, which had meat and dairy on it which I do not eat.

~Anyway, having read this forum and the good results I have e-mailed Prague Beauty again as I have become so down and depressed about my weight that I have given up and started comfort eating and stopped going to the gym as it seems to make very little difference yet takes up so much time.

Dreading the summer and not going on holiday as I feel so fat and feel I have let myself go. Hope this forum will keep me going once I have a date.

Been great reading all your ups and downs, can't wait to lose even half a stone!!

Noush x

Visit to doctor this weekend

I would like to thank everyone for putting all the good and bad points regarding the balloon. It has really helped me and I now feel that I am ready to see the doctor and tell him that I no longer want diet pills Def feel that the balloon will assist me in reeducating my eating habits.

I dont seem to know when to stop eating and hopefully being sick will give me a clue in registering the correct "I'm full" feeling. Im ready.... just hope the doctor will agree!

And I definately going to have the goal to aim for, so will look for a running event to sign up for - but wondered how people have found exercising with the balloon...? Do I aim for a 5k run after 3 months, or 6 months (before the balloon taken out, or after?)

Any advise? :bigear:

Run, run, run!!!!

I would like to thank everyone for putting all the good and bad points regarding the balloon. It has really helped me and I now feel that I am ready to see the doctor and tell him that I no longer want diet pills Def feel that the balloon will assist me in reeducating my eating habits.

I dont seem to know when to stop eating and hopefully being sick will give me a clue in registering the correct "I'm full" feeling. Im ready.... just hope the doctor will agree!

And I definately going to have the goal to aim for, so will look for a running event to sign up for - but wondered how people have found exercising with the balloon...? Do I aim for a 5k run after 3 months, or 6 months (before the balloon taken out, or after?)

Any advise? :bigear:

Hi ousuzanne,

I´ve run 3 Marathons and have encouraged a few friends that hate running and they have taken up running, one has gone on to complete a few Marathons herself. So my advice would be take it easy, take small steps (distance wise) and aim for the 5k after 3 months. You´d be surprised at how far you can go after a few weeks of training and IF you are not able to complete it, at least you would have tried and you´d be happy with the fact that you tried.
You could also aim for another 5km or attempt a race that is more of a challenge after the 6 months. I really believe you can do it. Running combined with your weight loss will get easier.

Good luck

BTW I have the balloon also and it hasnt stopped me from running apart from the first couple of weeks when I felt terrible.
:seeya:

24th weigh in...

1st post removal weigh in...

and its 2lbs off which is blummin fantastic as its my totm!

Ive been finding that i still feel full really quickly its almost as if i still have the balloon in which is great!

Last edited:
Any Gastric Balloon Regrets? Is it worth it?

Hi, I live in the US and will be traveling to Mexico to have the Gastric Balloon inserted. I've been researching it for weeks now and have read people complain about naseau, reflux and not being able to hold food down for the 1st few weeks. That's totally understandable considering its a balloon in your stomach, but what I want to know is if anyone who has had the procedure completely regret it and if so, why? If you have had it, would you recommend it to a close friend if they were doing it? Was the risk/negatives worth the reward? I've tried other diets with no luck. My BMI is 27 and I have 40lbs to shed. I do realize you have to change your eating as well and put forth effort and focus in order to be completely successful. Honestly, I am a little worried about complications and leaving the US to have the procedure done. Any honest feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi, I live in the US and will be traveling to Mexico to have the Gastric Balloon inserted. I've been researching it for weeks now and have read people complain about naseau, reflux and not being able to hold food down for the 1st few weeks. That's totally understandable considering its a balloon in your stomach, but what I want to know is if anyone who has had the procedure completely regret it and if so, why? If you have had it, would you recommend it to a close friend if they were doing it? Was the risk/negatives worth the reward? I've tried other diets with no luck. My BMI is 27 and I have 40lbs to shed. I do realize you have to change your eating as well and put forth effort and focus in order to be completely successful. Honestly, I am a little worried about complications and leaving the US to have the procedure done. Any honest feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Well, here goes....I would not recommend it unless the person really understands that it is self limiting, you have to be the one to make the changes, the balloon is only an aid. It is a very expensive aid!!!!
My body rejected the balloon, I actually had the balloon inserted twice. I rejected the first balloon and we thought it could possibly be the amount, I had a 700 cc balloon. The second balloon was inserted and only 500 cc's but again my body could not tolerate the balloon. I needed to have the balloon removed as I was sooo ill, my health was very comprimised by the degree of dehydration, an IV would only be a temporary fix and the doctor explained that the balloon had to come out...Problem was, who was going to remove the balloon? you see the surgeon who inserted the balloon was out of country and there are not many doctors who are trained and have the proper equipment for removal ( the things you don't think about when you get the balloon) so if you get the balloon, find out if you needed to get it out promptly who would remove it in your area???
I have kept in touch with a few ladies who had their balloon inserted at the same clinic as I did, they did not have intolerance but they had persistant burping, heart burn and yes they lost 25 or just slightly more...in six months.
I just joined Weight watchers and lost three pounds in the first week, and it didn't cost me 8 grand.
I know the balloon has helped many, and believe me I did alot of research, I also have read almost every post on this site. There are success stories, there are also people who have been very ill. Can you afford to take time off work in the event you have the vomitting for the first couple of weeks?
I also have a BMI of 27 and need to lose 40 pounds, I wish I had really given a sound weight program a good try, one where I was really committed and worked at it before I resorted to such an expensive endeavour that in the end the only thing I had lost was MONEY!!!!
All the best either way, I hope you don't mind my honesty, but it looks like you want to hear both the good and the bad.

Well, here goes....I would not recommend it unless the person really understands that it is self limiting, you have to be the one to make the changes, the balloon is only an aid. It is a very expensive aid!!!!
My body rejected the balloon, I actually had the balloon inserted twice. I rejected the first balloon and we thought it could possibly be the amount, I had a 700 cc balloon. The second balloon was inserted and only 500 cc's but again my body could not tolerate the balloon. I needed to have the balloon removed as I was sooo ill, my health was very comprimised by the degree of dehydration, an IV would only be a temporary fix and the doctor explained that the balloon had to come out...Problem was, who was going to remove the balloon? you see the surgeon who inserted the balloon was out of country and there are not many doctors who are trained and have the proper equipment for removal ( the things you don't think about when you get the balloon) so if you get the balloon, find out if you needed to get it out promptly who would remove it in your area???
I have kept in touch with a few ladies who had their balloon inserted at the same clinic as I did, they did not have intolerance but they had persistant burping, heart burn and yes they lost 25 or just slightly more...in six months.
I just joined Weight watchers and lost three pounds in the first week, and it didn't cost me 8 grand.
I know the balloon has helped many, and believe me I did alot of research, I also have read almost every post on this site. There are success stories, there are also people who have been very ill. Can you afford to take time off work in the event you have the vomitting for the first couple of weeks?
I also have a BMI of 27 and need to lose 40 pounds, I wish I had really given a sound weight program a good try, one where I was really committed and worked at it before I resorted to such an expensive endeavour that in the end the only thing I had lost was MONEY!!!!
All the best either way, I hope you don't mind my honesty, but it looks like you want to hear both the good and the bad.
Wow, thank you so much Drul. I definitely appreciate your honesty and frankness. That is exactly what I was looking for. Funny reading your story, I think I have done everything you have mentioned and honestly, even know there is a possibility my body could reject it and even went thru the "what if's"... I'm such a planner and so pratical, I even came up with the worst case scenario, which is: I get home, get sick, need to have it removed immediately and have to get back on the plane and travel back to Mexico to have it removed and I've wasted several thousand dollars. Call me crazy, but this "worst case scenario" could be worst if anthesia or cutting was involved or if it cost the same amount as the Gastric Sleeve or Band. I've never had an allergic reaction to any drugs and with the exception of pollen, I really haven't had any allergic reactions. Lucky for me, my mom lives only a few hrs from the Mexico Hospital, in California so she will be taking me and if the worst case scenario happened, she would be able to see that thru as well. I'm hoping for the best, but am trying to be as realistic as possible. Regarding the weight, I would be totally happy with anything between 25-35lbs.

Ironically, I am also doing weight watchers now, but am not good with counting points and have days where I totally stress and binge. One of the main reasons I want the balloon is to not over eat in those situations. I know I will still have cravings, but I'm hoping instead of eating the entire pack of cookies, like I normally do, I will only eat 1 or 2 and feel full.

Well, I have 6 more days until I have it inserted, and while I think I will still have it done, I am not 100% certain yet and will continue to look for any feedback that may help in my final decision.

Again, thank you sooooooo much for your reply. After I get this done, regardless of the results, I hope to be able to help others in my position and any one else contemplating the procedure.

Hoping for the best... :)

Wow, thank you so much Drul. I definitely appreciate your honesty and frankness. That is exactly what I was looking for. Funny reading your story, I think I have done everything you have mentioned and honestly, even know there is a possibility my body could reject it and even went thru the "what if's"... I'm such a planner and so pratical, I even came up with the worst case scenario, which is: I get home, get sick, need to have it removed immediately and have to get back on the plane and travel back to Mexico to have it removed and I've wasted several thousand dollars. Call me crazy, but this "worst case scenario" could be worst if anthesia or cutting was involved or if it cost the same amount as the Gastric Sleeve or Band. I've never had an allergic reaction to any drugs and with the exception of pollen, I really haven't had any allergic reactions. Lucky for me, my mom lives only a few hrs from the Mexico Hospital, in California so she will be taking me and if the worst case scenario happened, she would be able to see that thru as well. I'm hoping for the best, but am trying to be as realistic as possible. Regarding the weight, I would be totally happy with anything between 25-35lbs.

Ironically, I am also doing weight watchers now, but am not good with counting points and have days where I totally stress and binge. One of the main reasons I want the balloon is to not over eat in those situations. I know I will still have cravings, but I'm hoping instead of eating the entire pack of cookies, like I normally do, I will only eat 1 or 2 and feel full.

Well, I have 6 more days until I have it inserted, and while I think I will still have it done, I am not 100% certain yet and will continue to look for any feedback that may help in my final decision.

Again, thank you sooooooo much for your reply. After I get this done, regardless of the results, I hope to be able to help others in my position and any one else contemplating the procedure.

Hoping for the best... :)

Hi there,
I had mine inserted on the 20th of JUNE .I had 550cc balloon.
DAY 1: I vomited a lot, I suffered from very bad cramps ,couldn’t sleep well at night and I hardly could drink anything.
DAY 2: I vomited less, still with cramps especially after drinking any liquids and slept all day long.
DAY 3: Not vomited at all but still with cramps. Slept all day long.
DAY 4: Less cramps, sleeping better and less, feeling a bit weak and I had more liquids.
DAY 5: Still on liquids and having more of it. Sleeping normal.
DAY 6: Back to normal. Craving some foods but still on liquids diet.
DAY 7: Weigh in day. I have lost 4KG (8.8LB).

Hi there,
I had mine inserted on the 20th of JUNE .I had 550cc balloon.
DAY 1: I vomited a lot, I suffered from very bad cramps ,couldn’t sleep well at night and I hardly could drink anything.
DAY 2: I vomited less, still with cramps especially after drinking any liquids and slept all day long.
DAY 3: Not vomited at all but still with cramps. Slept all day long.
DAY 4: Less cramps, sleeping better and less, feeling a bit weak and I had more liquids.
DAY 5: Still on liquids and having more of it. Sleeping normal.
DAY 6: Back to normal. Craving some foods but still on liquids diet.
DAY 7: Weigh in day. I have lost 4KG (8.8LB).
Hi Zizi, thank you for the overview of your first week, its really helpful!! How are you finding things now? I have to say 8 (almost 9) pounds in the first week is a good start!!

Thanks again for sharing and I am very intressted in how things are going for you :)

I had the balloon and completely regret it...why? I had intolerance, they don't tell you about that, but there is a percentage that will not be able to tolerate it, the procedure sounds simple but I doubt few are back to work in three days....I lost significant amount of time of work, I do not have sick benefits, and than I spent an additional eight days in hospital after a month of vomitting, I was soooo dehydrated, weak, my potassium levels were critically low, any lower and my heart could have stopped. Than I missed several weeks after hospitalization. Add the cost of the procedure, the cost due to sick time, I am sure this would total over 12 grand, so how much weight did I lose...30 pounds, how much have I kept off, NONE.
I too was 40 pounds overweight, so was 12 grand and my health worth it, Absolutely NOT, do I feel like a fool for resorting to this procedure, Absolutely YES, Do i regret it....YOU BET!!!!
Here is something NO ONE thinks of, including me and the surgeon who inserted my balloon, if you do need to have it removed early, who removes it?
my surgeon was out of country, Do you know how awful it was too be in a positon that the balloon had to be removed and no surgeon was able to remove it, I had to travel to another area to a surgeon who had never removed one before, but was at least agreeable that he would attempt too. I had to sign three consents for the procedure in the event that they were unsuccessful. The things we don't think about because we so desperately want to have it done...desperate to lose weight, I was fantazing how wonderful it would be to lose the weight that I never thought of these things.
I have read so many posts, there are some that are successful, BIT know this much, it takes hard work, exercise and a dedication to changing your eating habits, the balloon is only an AID. An expensive AID.

Hi Zizi, thank you for the overview of your first week, its really helpful!! How are you finding things now? I have to say 8 (almost 9) pounds in the first week is a good start!!

Thanks again for sharing and I am very intressted in how things are going for you :)

Hi Mizzminna,
As off today i completed 1 month and i have lost 12 pounds. I was hoping for more but no complains cuz i can't remember the last time i lost that much in a month. I am on Nexium every day to manage acid levels and I have had no heartburn or acid reflux. I too have had problems with rich food and if I do eat too much - My stomach just doesn't seem to digest it and I have to vomit to get relief. I still take it slowly drinking, but can at least have a big mouthful now. I still eat very small meals and try and really listen to my body - over eating means pain and discomfort. I also find that I eat even less at night. The morning through to lunch seems to be my best eating time and then nothing in the afternoon usually a light dinner.

Hi all,

10 weeks post balloon and I have lost 13 kgs(28lbs) and feeling great. I will be stoked when I get past 20 kgs lost. Still have an occasional BAD day but it is linked with too much rich food. When it is bad it is very uncomfortable. I haven’t been exercising much and I need to pick it up. My losses have stalled this week but I think as others have said you have to look at the overall scheme of things, if you’re not gaining that’s a good thing.

Hi all,

10 weeks post balloon and I have lost 13 kgs(28lbs) and feeling great. I will be stoked when I get past 20 kgs lost. Still have an occasional BAD day but it is linked with too much rich food. When it is bad it is very uncomfortable. I haven’t been exercising much and I need to pick it up. My losses have stalled this week but I think as others have said you have to look at the overall scheme of things, if you’re not gaining that’s a good thing.

Hi zigzag, I know a lot of time has passed since you had your balloon. I am planning on it too but would like to hear about your experience after some years. Have you kept the weight off? Do you think it was worthwhile? Any advice? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back