Flyer's diary

there is none of that around here. people were dying to get back to work at restaurants and bars here and they seem fully if not overstaffed at times. biggest problem i can see is getting customers to come out. i think people are still a little leery about gathering inside. i have been one on the only daytime drinkers where there used to be 2-3x more a year ago. of course, the workforce here is mostly kids. businesses that need to get mothers/ single working parents back are having problems, but schools are slowly and SAFELY returning to normal and should free those men and women to get back to work. it would have been so hard on these parents if not for the expanded unemployment benefits. if you know any of these people and don't just watch radical right broadcasts, you would realize this.

vaccination is still rolling along, though there is still a big chunk of Redumblicans who are anti-vacc'ers. luckily smarter conservatives are still fleeing that party, so even that majority is getting small merely through attrition. remarkably funny that they are the group who badly want to return to normal, yet they are the group preventing this by their idiotic conspiracy claims. yes... Bill Gates is trying to inject micro-chips into your arms... OMG... how do these people function in society...?!? "Buy the Lie"... seems to be their only focus now.

Last edited:
normally i'm an lb or two down after a busy weekend, but i gave into temptation a few times... luckily it was only a small temptation. i have been getting through a few non-IF days, but the key is... just don't eat that much.

05.12.21..168.0.jpg

hard to believe i fell for a snack called Munchies....!
ritos.jpg

frankly i blame the hotel...
if they had a diet soda in their machine i wouldn't have had to walk to the store...!

Last edited:
couldn't be happier to live in a heavily BLUE state today. unlike the RED states that are full of vaccine deniers, California is busy getting people safely vaccinated. today there were 94 new cases (0.0028% of the population) in the county. the last time there were less than 100 new cases in a day was 31 May 2020, 347 days ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
well so far i have not noticed a real change in the use of masks, but i had an interesting thought this morning. surely nobody should object to a small percentage of people who will probably not stop wearing a mask anytime soon, but will places like banks eventually ban masks? before the pandemic i don't believe i could even wear sunglasses or a hat inside my bank. now just about the only thing you can see of my face are my eyes.

a visual tip to responsible pizza consumption... slice each slice.
also going to spike it up with my own mushrooms, onions and jalapenos.

16 slice large.jpg

"4" slices for lunch/ breakfast today!
some will go into the freezer.

well i'm glad i have the pizza to blame for this.... :)

IMG_4181.JPG

back to back walking days and a busy day tomorrow should make up for it... we'll see.

Like your pizza, don't think Dominos would do that for me...

Now just don't eat too many of those slices, LOL. My mother (who was quite thin) always use to joke that half a piece of something had fewer than half the calories. So her reasoning was that eating a piece of cake one half at a time would cut calories. Not sure it works that way, just one of those things that has stayed with me since childhood.

well i added the extra cuts. another feature... i like the crispy edges so i get twice as many of those. i'll have to agree with your mom, though perhaps on a much, much smaller level...some cheese does stick to the knife... :)

pre-morning coffee weight, but i'll take it...
05.23.21..167.0.jpg

a bit of bad luck this morning, but a wake-up call to shoppers. i always look for deals on apples and today Cosmic apples were 99¢/ lb, but when i was checked out, the cashier saw the ONE Envy apple in the bag. the Envy bin was right above the Cosmic's and one must have fallen there. but i need to start checking everything and also make sure the checkout person reads the code right. the way i shop, a mistake is rarely a better deal. on the upside... walking back to the store (just a few 100 yds from my door), at the end of the day i hardly ever say "i've walked too much today" ... :)

IMG_4189.JPG

i might have let it slide, but Envy (New Zealand) are the most expensive in the store even on a good day.

after i got my vaccinations i stopped looking at the daily counts of COVID in the county, but just to see what's up, i started again a few weeks ago. the current status looks great. all the numbers are as low as they have been since the very start over a year ago. total daily cases (average) are ~75... hospitalization, ICU and deaths have been in single digits for weeks. for the past few days they have been hovering around one or two with zero days getting more common.

probably the best sign i saw was just yesterday. a couple young guys ... about the age i would have expected the "it's my right to... etc, etc" rhetoric, who were talking about just getting their 2nd vaccine shot.

feeling much better about going out.
waiting for the bagel shop to get out the tables and chairs again.
that would be a nice next sign of normalcy.

this day in history...

On May 27, 1941, the British navy sank the German battleship Bismarck in the North Atlantic near France.

12 years later... while Edmund Hillary & Tenzing Norgayand were two day from reaching the summit of Mt Everest, i was born.

today in history...

after the Redumblicans held ELEVEN different commissions to investigate the 2012 attack against two United States government facilities in Benghazi, Libya, these same idiots are about to vote against forming a commission to investigate the January 6th attack on our own Capitol building in Washington, D.C. for solely political reasons.

i will celebrate the death of that old fart Mitch McConnell... i only hope it happens sooner than later.

so after a year of low to no profits, everyone is raising their prices.
not a big surprise, but of course the Redumblicans are blaming Biden.

one thing i heard on the news is that even the price of plastic forks, spoons and knives are going up. in the little box where you can add a comment for a delivery i believe i will start trying to tell the couple places i order from that most places they are delivering food to have kitchens... you know... where you can find real metal knives, forks and spoons...!!

Last edited:
another update on my waistline saga...
waist not.jpg

i'm now on hole #4 everyday, but decided to back off to hole #2 where i started about 2 years ago... or is it 3 now... to see what's what... anyway... without losing a pound... actually i've probably gained 4 or 5 from my old low of 163... i've managed to lose 2 inches of waistline even on my low to no exercise routine. ...go figure.

the next time someone tries to sell you a product that magically reduces belly fat overnight, ... feel free to laugh in their face.

Last edited:
when i got to San Diego 30 years ago i learned about how the marine cloud layer rolls in every evening which is why we have such stable moderate temperatures, but the downside is trying to get rid of the clouds the next day. this year it seems like we're in for "June gloom"...

June gloom.jpg

this was the sky yesterday at 2:30 in the afternoon. typically for the next few days at 4-5pm the clouds finally burn away just in time for the evening cloud layer to roll in again. the burn time will shorten over the month and by the 4th of July we should start to see the sun around 10am.

more interesting is that this phenomenon only effects the 2-3 miles close to the shore. i drove out to El Cajon yesterday morning and the sun was out bright and sunny, but since the San Diego airport is close to the shoreline and weather forecasts use airports to report temperatures, everyone mistakenly thinks all of San Diego is like this.

i had to get a tooth pulled this morning. it was damaged in a baseball accident when i was in my teens. about twenty years ago i had a cap put on, but apparently the damaged root recently started to get infected, so i'm going to need an implant. so much for that vacation i was saving up for ... :(

Oh, ouch! It's only ever the dentist's bill that hurts these days, but they are usually very painful.

you're right there, Cate... i had no idea about the cost of an implant, but it turned out to be close to double what i was thinking. at least both the work and the cost will be split up. the extraction was today, but they want to wait 6 weeks before i get the implant then three months before i can get the final cap. kinda wish this could have happened last year.

i'm sure the dental work had a hand in this, but i really haven't felt like eating today. i have some easy access food in the fridge, so i'm not ruling it out yet, but if i do eat something late, it really screws up my schedule for about a day or three. nothing changing much weight-wise.

06.03.21..167.0.jpg

i do weigh myself every day and my range is about 166 - 170, but i see 167-168 (BMI 23.0) most of the time.

Last edited:
Back