Flyer's diary

overlandflyer

i've been thinking about getting back into archery recently.
what the hell has happened to the long bow... !?!

monster bow.jpg

overlandflyer

after giving up beer for about a year (March 2020 - March 2021) i have recently begun to re-realize a dieting downside. i pass a 7-11 on the walk home and my junk food resistance is just about zero after a few pints.

overlandflyer

getting bored staying at 168 for over a year, decided to experiment. thought i would attack the "i only cheat one day a week" crowd. my cheating was eating somewhat more than i should in a day + cutting my fasting time to a simple 8 hours. been doing this for the past 6 weeks or so.

been seeing this a lot of mornings.
even worse... all my sweats were in the laundry, so this should really be 171...

10.07.21..171.0.jpg

i have seen 175 toward the end of the day.... mostly water, but still.

i have a good opportunity to change this around. two weekends this month i'm going back to running the locomotive, so those weekends were always easy times to be good. overall, i will go back to being more strict through the holidays. ... not going to cut out beer, but going to try my best to avoid the post-pint mini-binges.

i wouldn't hesitate to write this off as psychological, but on the day after's, hunger episodes seemed to be a lot more frequent.

overlandflyer

yum... i put three in the freeze dryer this morning...

pineapple.jpg

no doubt price increases in general are a problem ...if you want to call it inflation, go ahead... my take is everyone trying to make up for lost profits last year. shop wisely... i really don't look that hard and manage to find great deals every day.

overlandflyer

if i lived 10,000 years ago, i would have no problem believing in a god or gods.
for a single one of these tiny seeds to turn into a plant like this...
how could it be explained other than as a miracle.

pepper seeds.jpg

serrano pepper plant.jpg

overlandflyer

i've been wanting to get a particular lens for my DSLR but recently i saw that it was on a waiting list everywhere. then i discovered a notice that Nikon was taking about a half dozen lenses off the market for various reasons and the lens i wanted was one of them. ...mostly a manufacturing cost saving, none being taken down for quality. i managed to find one that was factory refurbished and i jumped on it.

when i worked for the Navy i was one of the few in our division who had a govt credit card. a program eventually taken offline due to some idiots using it for things like filling up their gas tanks ... and much worse. while it was active, however, it was a great way to actually get parts when you needed them and not 6-8 weeks later. i saw them hands-on, and i purchased a few factory refurb laptops which would otherwise been outside my spending limit. believe me... factory refurbished = like new. i rarely told the user it was and i never got a complaint. there was a shorter warranty usually involved, but at a typical 30% off retail, it is wall worth it.

so i got the lens... a really nice Hoya UV filter... payed the state tax and still saved about $100 over retail.
delivered today and it is just as i expected.... though it came in a plain brown box... :( ... :)

nikon_20055b_af_s_dx_nikkor_16_80mm_1474638377_1273291.jpg

Last edited: