Floater's diary

Yay for vaccines!
Yay indeed! I feel a bit ashamed that I'm so late in the vax train, but I just honestly couldn't book an appointment due to the system being messy and weird AF. My next dose will be on 3.11. , but I feel so much better already knowing that I will have partial immunity in 2 weeks and this will already help with the risk of me spreading covid to others even if I would catch it myself.

I feel a bit tired. I had a Burger King cheeseburger and 4 mozzarella sticks after the vax on my way home; autism assistance came over and I decided that as I have nothing pressing to get done, I just paid a bill and we spent the rest of the visit walking outside in perfect autumn weather and chit-chatting. These kinds of visits from them feel like a luxury, sometimes I feel a bit guilty if I don't spend the whole 60 minutes cleaning and cooking, but as they always remind me, one of their functions is to provide social support and help autistic folks reconnect with their personal interests and hobbies.

A funny, a bit strange and a little bit sad memory that has to do with color and taste. I suspect that I have synesthesia tendencies, as I associate colors with tastes and for some reason people's facial expressions and noises as feelings on my skin and inside my body. (The classical example is associating colors with numbers for example, but I never felt that, numbers are just black and smell faintly of ink.) At this time of year, aspens turn a very specific hue of yellowish/lime green before turning yellow and shedding their leaves, and every time I see that hue I taste a very specific brand of ice pop. It was sold in cardboard packages and the ice pop itself was bright poison green and shaped into little pearls you would eat by pushing the package from the bottom so the pearls would rise up. I taste that thing every time I see aspens start to pale. I have one specific memory of my mom buying me that as a treat when she wanted me to shut up about hooking up with my violin teacher. I was wearing a navy colored stitch jacket, and I have loathed navy ever since (despite it complementing my complexion beautifully).

Oh well. I have one marinated egg in the fridge so I think I'll have noodles, peas, tofu, and egg for dinner.

! I just got a HUGE craving for feta and pesto croissants (from tinned dough), so I think I'll go buy the ingredients for that plus some eggs!

I feel a bit ashamed that I'm so late in the vax train, but I just honestly couldn't book an appointment due to the system being messy and weird AF.
Doing what you can, when you can is good enough. And that´s what you did!
These kinds of visits from them feel like a luxury, sometimes I feel a bit guilty if I don't spend the whole 60 minutes cleaning and cooking, but as they always remind me, one of their functions is to provide social support and help autistic folks reconnect with their personal interests and hobbies.
Good enough really IS good enough, my friend. I´m glad you enjoyed the visit.
At this time of year, aspens turn a very specific hue of yellowish/lime green before turning yellow and shedding their leaves,
I´m sorry you have such a bad memory associated with aspen. They smell so good in autumn!
I just got a HUGE craving for feta and pesto croissants (from tinned dough), so I think I'll go buy the ingredients for that plus some eggs!
That sounds delicious. I don´t think I´ve ever had croissants made from tinned dough but maybe I´ll have a look at the store tomorrow to see if they carry it. I really don´t make the ready-made ones you have to finish in the oven (they always get super dry) and real, fresh ones are too big.

Oooff I splurged on food... Pesto, fresh chilies, fresh sweet red bell peppers, eggs, chicken legs, feta cheese, and croissant dough in a tin. BUT. These ingredients will last me a long time; the chicken legs were on sale as they will expire tomorrow, but I'm thinking of making an oven dish out of them with a ton of fresh veggies and beans so I can stretch them for days with different carbs as a side.

I don´t think I´ve ever had croissants made from tinned dough but maybe I´ll have a look at the store tomorrow to see if they carry it. I really don´t make the ready-made ones you have to finish in the oven (they always get super dry) and real, fresh ones are too big.
I use the Danerolles brand, it should be available all across mainland Europe! It's so easy to use; in my vegan days I made them almost weekly. The dough is in a pre-cut sheet inside a tin, you just roll it out, separate the triangles, fill them, roll them up and bake them. The package says to use egg wash but they turn out great without as well <3

Thank you for the rest of the post as well, I agree, aspens smell gorgeous this time of year. In Finnish they are referred to as shy trees, as the leaves shake like a nervous person. In a way, fall and winter make aspens more courageous; no leaves to rustle and give a nervous impression. Their silver bark is so pretty in the winter sun.

In Finnish they are referred to as shy trees, as the leaves shake like a nervous person.
"Shaking like a leaf" translates to zittern wie Espenlaub in German - so literally you´re trembling like aspen foliage. One of the common names for the tree is Zitterpappel, literally trembling poplar. The Latin name is Populus tremula, which I´m pretty sure means the same, and I just found out that one of the common names in English is quaking aspen. So it looks like everyone agrees the poor thing is terrified...

"Shaking like a leaf" translates to zittern wie Espenlaub in German - so literally you´re trembling like aspen foliage. One of the common names for the tree is Zitterpappel, literally trembling poplar. The Latin name is Populus tremula, which I´m pretty sure means the same, and I just found out that one of the common names in English is quaking aspen. So it looks like everyone agrees the poor thing is terrified...
I love your trivia dumps <3 Populus tremula reminds me of "tremolo", a technique where a string instrument player is moving the bow back and forth across the string(s) in teeny tiny fast motions to create an illusion of tension and nervousness. It's used a lot in horror soundtracks but I do love how art mimics nature! The sound resembles the shaking of aspen leaves. :)

My lovely pesto and feta cheese croissants are in the oven now, I can't wait to dig into them!

I... Burnt the fucking croissants. So basically I'm battling the question whether I want to go to bed hungry or eat charred, carcinogenic pastries FML :D :D :D

I woke up early to walk the dog and feed her and went right back to sleep; I don't know if it's about the vaccine side effects, but I feel like I've been ran over by a steamroller! So tired. And my left arm aches and feels numb, but this tends to happen when I get vaccinations. But I'm about to have pasta with pesto and feta for a very late breakfast, and I have seasoned the chicken legs and they are sitting on the counter waiting to go in the oven. I still have to prepare the rest of my opened pack of tofu so it won't spoil. I think I might just bake it in the oven after the chicken, it's a very hassle free method of preparing tofu.

I have found a weird trick to get myself to eat when I feel nauseous or lazy. I put on mukbang videos on Youtube, and it makes me want to cook and eat something sensible (as opposed to the stuff mukbangers tend to eat haha).

I haven't really had an appetite today. I have wicked r*ns, and have only been able to eat a nibble here and another there despite having tasty food available (and watching mukbangs lol). Other than that I'm ok, the vax arm is still pretty sore and the hand feels numb, but I just came home from a lovely long walk with Nera. We are having a bit of an autumn tempest going on, and it's really pretty outside in a gloomy way.

It sounds like vax side effects & also they seem to be lessening. I think I got lucky. Hope you have a good night's sleep.

Thank you @Cate and @LaMaria ! I managed to eat homemade chicken quesadillas and soba noodles with tofu yesterday, today I've had chicken and bread so far and am soaking/washing rice for congee. I had an online meeting with a social worker and it went well. I have been weirdly emotional today. Arm feels much better though!

All good to hear, except for the weirdly emotional part. Sometimes we just have to feel the emotions & let them out xo

Today my stomach has still been messed up and I have slept most of the day. I've had two slices of bread and am having a bowl of miso with edamame right now. I'm having lower back cramps that radiate to my thighs and stomach so I'm not really int he mood for eating. This might be random or related to the vaccine, but I occasionally get cramps like this so I guess I just got to ride them out.

Back