Floater's diary

Oh yeah! Woke up at 8, showered, walked and fed the dog, and went back to bed listening podcasts for a while because I was having heart palpitations and cold sweats. Woke up again just now and I feel normal! I think I'll start my day with leftover pizza and a nice cup of coffee. Then I'll do laundry and get ready for an online talk with my priest.

Took my ADHD pills for the first time in... Two weeks or so. Couldn't take them before due to the other meds. The effect hasn't begun yet but just knowing it's coming around soon feels encouraging.

Oof, my tolerance is so low that I got a bit shaky. But the talk went well and I'm now making rice, I'll fry eggs and corn to top it with.

I also have a career/study plan once again. It's going to take several years, and I have to remember I'm still on the mend, but I talked about it with the priest and I've mentioned it to the autism assistance folks as well. The people who are taken in each year is just a handful so I don't want to toot it out loud yet, but it's a long term dream and I do have realistic chances of success in entering. (Now I feel paranoid whether I already talked about it or not, but whatever :D )

Yay for drugs! Well, the helpful kind, anyway :p
I also have a career/study plan once again. It's going to take several years, and I have to remember I'm still on the mend, but I talked about it with the priest and I've mentioned it to the autism assistance folks as well. The people who are taken in each year is just a handful so I don't want to toot it out loud yet, but it's a long term dream and I do have realistic chances of success in entering. (Now I feel paranoid whether I already talked about it or not, but whatever :D )
Awesome! If you´ve talked about I can´t remember but having a goal is rarely a bad thing.

Yay for drugs! Well, the helpful kind, anyway :p

Awesome! If you´ve talked about I can´t remember but having a goal is rarely a bad thing.
Indeed.

My lunch ended up being much better/balanced than I originally aimed at: rice, bok choy, corn, two eggs, and an apple as I was waiting for the rice to cook. I have noticed that 1dl of dry rice (+3dl of water) seems to be the best portion size for me as I have issues with eating enough volume-wise, which makes my gut issues and tiredness worse. And I like the routine of making rice; measuring it, rinsing and washing it, smelling it as it cooks. Basically the instructed portion size is 0,75 dl but if 1dl works for me and makes it easier for me to build a balanced meal around the rice, why shouldn't I?

During my last low I noticed once again that there's a pattern when it comes to my mental health. When I feel good, I'm obviously taking much better care of my nutrition. This should be my baseline, my "green". Issue is, I tend to overexert myself. It's fine to dip into the orange, like weight training or keeping up a meticulous cleaning routine. However, if I go too deep into the orange zone, especially if I have emotionally draining stuff going on like therapy or being social, I risk going into the red.

That's when I usually stop eating and taking my ADHD meds, because those two must be done together. When this happens, I'm risking turning to beer as a substitute for food. This issue is much less of a problem for me than it was when I started this diary, but it's something I have to be mindful of. Another thing of course is that alcohol is a depressant, so when my CNS is running red-hot, it actually does have short term benefits to my functionality. The issue is that I don't have a drink to unwind and then actually unwind, I drink to get even more stuff done, and bam, then I'm in the black when I'm just too tired to even shower and need to rest for several days. (It doesn't require alcohol or other substances to get me there, this is just a pattern that I notice. This time what took me to the black was the muscle relaxants which made me too tired to function, and things started to pile up and stress me out. Sometimes it's been working out too much and then having a panic attack, like the last time I went to the gym.)

Of course, I always bounce back up eventually, and autistic burnouts are often not possible to completely avoid. But I do want to think up things that I can use to make myself rest and relax when things are starting to get too much for me. And I absolutely have to unlearn the shame I feel when I do rest. I would spare myself from so much if I could rest before things get unbearable; this is also something I will absolutely need to be able to do as the entrance exams begin, and later in the studies. I went through Uni like a mountaineer, uphill downhill. I did excellently, but at what cost to my health?

The big nice meal with lots of fiber and veg helped bring my jitters down so this is something I need to teach myself to turn to first. I'll also try to start keeping my gym shoes, lock, and water bottle in my backpack at all times, because I've often noticed that inspiration to hit the gym awakens when I'm running some other errand in the vicinity, but of course it passes when I get home and should walk or commute back to the city center. The backpack might start smelling of feet, but whatever lol.

Plan for tonight: wipe and wash the GODDAMN FLOORS. Run the dishwasher. Don't overdo it. And don't text the ex.

Nice! I gave the floors a double cleanse and my world looks (and smells) so much brighter already. Now I'll have a nice cup of coffee, clean up the kitchen, take the dog out and take the rest of the night off.

Of course, I always bounce back up eventually, and autistic burnouts are often not possible to completely avoid. But I do want to think up things that I can use to make myself rest and relax when things are starting to get too much for me. And I absolutely have to unlearn the shame I feel when I do rest.
True for everyone (take note, LaMa!) but extra double true for you, I assume. We´re all works in progress...

A nice clean apartment DOES make the world look a lot brighter, doesn´t it?

True for everyone (take note, LaMa!) but extra double true for you, I assume. We´re all works in progress...

A nice clean apartment DOES make the world look a lot brighter, doesn´t it?
It does. I'll clean the bathroom tomorrow, kitchen is all done. The cleanliness thing is something I should really also learn to put into perspective, as my standards are... High to say the least. I can spot a speck of soy sauce across the room and then it keeps lowkey bothering me until I clean it up or find something else to hyperfocus on.

Dog has been walked (and she rolled in something vile of course; I gave her a wipe down, but the bathroom is full of drying laundry so I can't give her a proper shower), the dishwasher is running. I should plan what to eat next. I'm starting to run on fumes so it has to be something simple and low effort, maybe a tomato based soup with beans and pasta?

There's one breakthrough I made earlier today as I was doing some mental health journaling for therapy this Friday. My breakdown last summer and especially my strange and compulsive need to walk around for hours on end and throw out stuff and re-organize objects in my home and in the vicinity was a pretty damn classic dissociative fugue state. I wasn't really all there and it was only during times when I snapped back to reality for short periods that I got really scared about what the hell I was even doing. But the thing is, the memories have been coming back and while the thoughts I had during the time were indeed VERY STRANGE, they weren't psychotic (which was later confirmed by the psychiatrists as I didn't fit into the criterion for psychosis either). These fugue states are not a diagnosis by themselves, just a symptom that can pop up in trauma disorders; it's like a sub-type of dissociative symptoms.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that it's not that important to me what I label myself as, the reason I'm glad about realizing this is that it takes the pain and _unheimlich_ away from those strange behaviors. My head is pretty rattled by the stuff I've experienced growing up, no surprise to me. The reason I'm relieved is that I can now put the thing in the past and just label it as "random post-traumatic flareup", which was more or less how the doctors ended up labeling it as, too. So instead of having to deal with yet another life altering issue I can focus on feeling better and creating more stability and peace, to build my future onto!

BTW it's funny how these "cycles" I go through are visible in how and what I write here as well. :D

I made a liter of tomato and cabbage soup with corn. I'm having half of it today with cut up and fried soy wieners and grated cheese, and the left of it later with some other source of protein :3

The reason I'm relieved is that I can now put the thing in the past and just label it as "random post-traumatic flareup", which was more or less how the doctors ended up labeling it as, too. So instead of having to deal with yet another life altering issue I can focus on feeling better and creating more stability and peace, to build my future onto!
Makes sense. Sounds like it would give you some closure and make it less threatening. Food sounds good!

The reason I'm relieved is that I can now put the thing in the past and just label it as "random post-traumatic flareup", which was more or less how the doctors ended up labeling it as, too. So instead of having to deal with yet another life altering issue I can focus on feeling better and creating more stability and peace, to build my future onto!
I love that we get to read your insights Floater. You are so self-aware. I think we can all learn from one another.

@Cate definitely, sharing thoughts with one another is so important. *Hugs* Sorry that my head's been so far up my own butt lately that I have not been very active in reading + commenting.

I had to get up and eat a random bunch of what I had lying around or easily preparable: soy wieners, soba noodles in peanut butter and ginger sauce, a raw striped beetroot, and a slice of rye bread with two fried eggs. Nothing tasted particularly good, but I think it's because my body isn't used to being back on my regular meds yet. It made me feel better, though. I need to go grocery shopping and buy new toohbrush heads tomorrow, the ones I have are too hard and irritate my gums!

Sorry that my head's been so far up my own butt lately that I have not been very active in reading + commenting.
Never apologize for prioritizing self-care :grouphug:
Nothing tasted particularly good, but I think it's because my body isn't used to being back on my regular meds yet.
Well done eating regardless. I hope the new toothbrush heads feel better: I hate hard toothbrushes.

I couldn't sleep the whole night, but it wasn't too bad - I was actually in a pretty good mood - because this wasn't anxiety induced, I think my body is just trying to re-adjust to ADHD meds instead of being on relaxants. I used the night to trivia binge stuff related to the anime "Made in Abyss", which I'm planning to watch as soon as I find it from somewhere; it's notoriously beautiful but very disturbing, so I wanted to know what I'm getting into to be able to prepare for triggers beforehand. (It's a Lovecraftian style cosmic horror, based on Buddhist philosophy and beliefs about a layered Hell that's karmically easy to descend into but extremely hard to ascend from through the cycle of rebirths. It's joked to be "animated by Ghibli and written by Junji Ito", looks adorable, but the child protagonists go through disturbing things.)

I took the dog out at 7, fed and medicated her, had a breakfast of rye bread, soba noodles in PB sauce and instant miso soup, and finally fell asleep after that. I woke up at 1PM, took the dog out and heated up some of the gabbage and pasta soup from yesterday. It had solidified into more of a casserole consistency, but tasted delicious with some extra margarine, spring onions and nutritional yeast.

I really need to remember to brush my teeth after eating this and having my coffee and waiting the 20 minutes until the enamel is safe to brush. Whenever I mess up my sleep schedules, it's hard to keep up with a healthy twice-a-day routine; I hate the feeling of a musty mouth, so it's not like I don't GAF, I just forget until my teeth feel unpleasant. (Luckily, I still brush once a day anyway.)

My meals today have been a bit carb heavy, but I'll balance it out during the day, and good quality carbs are a good choice after having not slept very well.

EDIT: I'm two episodes into the anime and I feel like I need a shower. People have compared the manga and anime and said that the sexualization of children has been turned down in the latter - if that's true, I just can't even. I think it's made even worse by the fact that the rest of the world-building is so good. Smut is easier to tolerate in something brain dead (at least as long as it's not kids being sexualized), in this case it's like - why do I have to sit through disgusting stuff to enjoy the otherwise intriguing story?! Blegh

Last edited:
Dinner is baked tempeh and sweet potato (I threw together some kind of a glace from maple syrup, truffle oil, white pepper, soy sauce and hot sauce) with a side of rice, topped with spring onions. I do love these kinds of days when I actually have an appetite and feel like cooking. Let's see how it turns out!

The anime is absolutely cursed. I literally need to take breaks watching it. I wouldn't keep going if I wasn't so interested in it from a media analysis standpoint. But at least I'll soon have a full belly to give me strength. Imagine, it's half past four in the afternoon and I'm having my third meal of the day? I'm on a roll today!!

People have compared the manga and anime and said that the sexualization of children has been turned down in the latter - if that's true, I just can't even.
Anime in general is kind of infamous for that shit, isn't it? Gross.
Dinner is baked tempeh and sweet potato (I threw together some kind of a glace from maple syrup, truffle oil, white pepper, soy sauce and hot sauce) with a side of rice, topped with spring onions. I do love these kinds of days when I actually have an appetite and feel like cooking.
Sounds delicious! You really do sound a lot better :)

Just came back from the grocery store - an autism assistance person drove me there and back. They didn't have the toothbrushes I was looking for, so the hard ones will have to do for now. But I got three blocks of tofu, eggs, different types of onions, "cotton candy" grapes (insanely expensive but taste like candy), miso paste, and shiitake mushrooms. I'm now having a snack of cherry tomatoes and miso broth with spring onion, shiitake bits and leftover nori that had gotten too damp to use for anything else.

I will have a proper meal later, but I'm really happy about how today went all in all.

That anime sounds horrible to me. I hope you stop watching it. It can't be mentally healthy.
Good for you eating well. Your food sounds really interesting.

Back