Floater's diary

if you think that is what i said, you might want to add "reading disorder" to your list of your diagnosed anomalies.

Subtle. *chef's kiss*

It's fair to say that I had a knee-jerk reaction, which I also discussed with other folks here. I'm all for accountability, and will happily apologize to you if you feel like it's in order; but jabbing at me about my diagnoses seems more about escalation/retaliation and less about you feeling insulted about my reaction, no?

PS: to widen your vocabulary and make the attempted insult a bit stingier, you might try substituting what you used with "reading comprehension issues" or "dyslexia" in the future.

PPS: you don't need to apologize to me, just scoot off of my thread and we're golden.

That was nasty and unnecessary and I suggest you apologize.

Thanks for having my back, @LaMaria . But it's fine. I regularly get this kind of attitude out in the real world too, people just react viscerally to what they don't understand. :)

I'm going to just slap the my food diary from 8pm yesterday to 8 pm today right here a bit early, because I want to take out the trash and take a walk.

Bedtime snack: 10 dried flatbreads toasted with a bit of marg, hot sauce, and a sprinkle of parmesan each
Breakfast: a 150 g tub of quacamole, black coffee
Snack: two almond potatoes mushed with a fork and topped with hummus
Lunch: pan-fried seitan, almond potatoes and corn, two walnut halves
Snack: instant oatmeal with textured soy protein, PB, and cherry jam

Summary: I know that 10 flatbreads sound like a lot, but they are basically thin crackers the size of rice or popcorn cakes. Of course, the toppings add sneaky kcals but the fact I had so many probably points to the fact that my portion sizes were too small or that I ate too infrequently towards the evening.

The guac I had is a surprisingly good product. It's made of fresh avocado (99% of content), preserved with citric acid and packed in preservative gas, so it stays good for several weeks if unopened. I just ate it out of the tub like a barbarian, but it has 300 kcal per tub and and a significant amount of good fats and fiber. The only downside is that I think it's made out of slightly underripe avocadoes, it has that subtle pinecone flavor. Almond potatoes/scandi potatoes are my favorite type of potato, they are half the size of most potatoes and have a nice creamy texture. Potatoes are also kind to my stomach. And the home-made seitan was pretty good too.

I'm kinda low on fresh veg/fruits at this point, and I feel a bit shaky, so probably low on kcals as well. I'll do my best to fix those.

I love Jo(h?)n! His clickbaity titles really get on my nerves at times though :rotflmao:

I know, right?! I always expect some insane drama queen tea times, but then it's just him making sensible arguments about not-that-dramatic topics and staring intensely into the camera lol. But he's charismatic, and his heart is in a right place. :D

Oh my goodness, I just had a Raf tomato for the first time in my life and it was incredibly flavorful, sweet and sour with an intense taste. They cost twice what common cultivars do, but it was so worth the price. I took the rest of the tomatoes out of the fridge because eating an acidic tomato straight from the fridge makes my teeth hurt... I'll have the rest as a snack once they're room temp. They are really pretty too, a deep green color on the outside and red inside.

Which reminds me that finding joy in food is one of the reasons why I'm here. Eating veggies is not a chore, it's actually so nice when I'm out of the starve/binge hell.

:rotflmao: I thought almond potatoes meant marzipan potatoes at first and was very confused that you ate them with hummus.
Oh my goodness, I just had a Raf tomato for the first time in my life and it was incredibly flavorful, sweet and sour with an intense taste. They cost twice what common cultivars do, but it was so worth the price. I took the rest of the tomatoes out of the fridge because eating an acidic tomato straight from the fridge makes my teeth hurt...
I don´t think I´ve ever had Raf tomatoes but most tomatoes lose flavor if stored in the fridge so in this case what´s good for your teeth will be good for your taste buds as well :)

:rotflmao: I thought almond potatoes meant marzipan potatoes at first and was very confused that you ate them with hummus.

I don´t think I´ve ever had Raf tomatoes but most tomatoes lose flavor if stored in the fridge so in this case what´s good for your teeth will be good for your taste buds as well :)

Haha I'm not familiar with marzipan potatoes but I have a general grasp of Bayerisch and Austrian cuisine so I can imagine. Marzipan with hummus would be what I'd be served in Hell

And yeah, tomatoes don't go in the fridge (unless they are cherry tomatoes or other cultivars with a low water content and high sugar content -> quicker spoil). Rafs are the size of a normal tomato so I'd usually store them in room temp, but I put them in the fridge by accident; luckily they are low water content so I don't think I ruined them. Tasted fine either way :)

You are right. I'm sorry I had such a strong reaction. <3
Definitely, no need for you to apologise. I'm sorry that you have been on the receiving end of rudeness. It's not the norm here.
Your food sounds delicious again. I can never understand people who don't like veggies & fruit. Our diet consists mainly of veggies, with a little lean red meat(usually venison), fish & chicken, but veggies are the highlight. I love tomatoes, but ours just won't ripen this year.
I looked up almond potatoes & maybe they're similar to what we call Dutch creams.

Definitely, no need for you to apologise. I'm sorry that you have been on the receiving end of rudeness. It's not the norm here.
Your food sounds delicious again. I can never understand people who don't like veggies & fruit. Our diet consists mainly of veggies, with a little lean red meat(usually venison), fish & chicken, but veggies are the highlight. I love tomatoes, but ours just won't ripen this year.
I looked up almond potatoes & maybe they're similar to what we call Dutch creams.

Thank you so much, seriously. Both for the validation and on complimenting my food <3

I looked up Dutch creams, and they seem like big almond potatoes by description! I'll keep an eye out for that variety. Only 6 more months to harvest season... (I love autumn for all the fresh ripe produce!)

I stayed up until 3AM, woke up to walk my dog at 10, then went back to bed and slept until 1PM. Trying to get motivated to do something. I forgot my clean laundry in the machine yesterday, probably have to wash it again, whoops.

I ate the rest of the tomatoes and several dried flatbreads last night and just had a big portion of seitan, corn and potatoes. I'm happy about eating this much, and trying to fight the thoughts that say I'm going to gain uncontrollably. Rationally, I might gain a bit first while my body is starting to adjust to a healthier rhythm. So I have to be mentally prepared for that. Currently I'm clearly swelling up from water weight and I have a lot of GI issues but that tends to happen at this stage anyway, so...

Food diary from 8pm yesterday to 8pm today:

Snack: 300g of fresh Raf tomatoes
Bedtime snack: 8 dried flatbreads with marg and grated parmesan, a piece of seitan
Breakfast/Lunch: Pan-fried seitan, corn, and potatoes with a bit of grated parmesan
Snack/treat: two 500 ml pilsners
Dinner: the remaining roasted beets with edamame and walnut crumbs, heated in the oven topped with an egg, chevre cheese slices, and a sprinkle of parmesan

The dinner is in the oven now, so I'm writing it down a bit early. I'm going to watch a movie while I eat. Sleeping until the afternoon messed up my schedule a bit, and I had bad anxiety, so I ended up walking to the supermarket and getting myself a pack of chevre and two pilsners. Then again, two pilsners isn't that terrible. I notice that my attitudes and feelings towards alcohol are shifting rapidly now that I'm no longer constantly running on empty and substituting calories from food to calories from beer. Knowing that one 500 ml can contains 200 kcal, it doesn't feel appetizing to drink much of it. Of course I knew the calories before too, but I was too starved to control myself or to think rationally about it.

For now this is too little food, but I'll try my best to focus on getting more fruit and fiber into myself before going to sleep. It's nice to notice that two cans of beer don't kill my appetite or mix up my hunger signals too much. (I'm definitely not going to drink tomorrow though!)

I saw a blackbird on my way home - a sure sign of spring - and started to think about different possibilities to keep myself motivated but not slide back into ED behaviors. It makes me happy to know that spring equinox is almost here, and every added hour of daylight makes it easier for me to regulate my binge impulses. Just gotta stay aware to not go to the other extreme. One step at a time! :)

I notice that my attitudes and feelings towards alcohol are shifting rapidly now that I'm no longer constantly running on empty and substituting calories from food to calories from beer. Knowing that one 500 ml can contains 200 kcal, it doesn't feel appetizing to drink much of it. Of course I knew the calories before too, but I was too starved to control myself or to think rationally about it.
That sounds like real progress, good work.

I planned to make vaguely asian style marinated soft-boiled eggs... The marinade turned out perfect (walnut oil, chili sauce, fresh garlic, lime & ginger), but out of the three eggs I boiled only one made it into the marinade. Brittle, unreliable freaks! :D Well, my dog got the failed eggs, so everyone is happy.

It does sound like you are finding a balance with what you eat. Your body will be grateful. What sort of dog do you have Floater? (I hope I haven't asked that before).

It does sound like you are finding a balance with what you eat. Your body will be grateful. What sort of dog do you have Floater? (I hope I haven't asked that before).

Maybe you have asked, maybe not - don't worry about it, I'm a total scatterbrain! She's an 11 year old GSD mix. I think I posted a photo of her on page 4 here on my thread. Dogs are such wonderful companions. <3

Whoops, I had asked before & not that long ago :blush5: but I couldn't find the photo. No need though. A German Shepherd. They're a lovely dog :beating:
Here's my lovely little fellow- 28092020.jpg

I just had some of my previously made seitan, and put the rest of it (about one big portion worth) in the freezer because although it's great, I want to eat something else for protein for a change haha. But I'll definitely make more seitan soon, and I've been looking into recipes that mimic the stringy/muscle fiber texture of meat - I've never tried making seitan like that, but it looks easy enough. The dough is simply formed into a sheet with a rolling pin, then folded onto itself to create the desired texture. I bet that brushing the sheet with walnut oil before folding and incorporating spices into the folds would work like a charm...!

Back