Floater's diary

Is it bad that I kind of love that? Dreams ARE fun sometimes.
Not bad at all :D I also kind of loved my reaction in the dream.

I had a long phone conversation with my godparent (we are the same age, as I converted as an adult). It was nice. I managed to eat that gravlax during the discussion. I'll try to eat more rice porridge now, but also add in grated parmesan and brazil nuts. I feel like that combo could work nicely.

Rice porridge with melty cheese and nuts sounds delicious. Glad to hear you had someone to chat with.

Now I want boiled eggs! Yay for hunger. Also yay for me not caving in and getting beer despite having felt anxious. I felt like I don't want to use my "booze card" on an evening I feel anxious, sad, and dysfunctional.

Did I mention that my therapist will take a hiatus to care for his baby? Two more sessions before a longer break. (I can't recall how long, I have to check that out.) In Finland, paid parental leave can be split between parents, which is a good system. But this comes at a pretty dicy spot on my journey. Oh well, I'm sure I'll make it through this just fine. Gotta put on my big boy pants.

Now I gotta boil dem eggs so my hard-worked-for muscles don't melt like last week's snowman!

What's your therapist's advice for how to deal with his absence?
We didn't really discuss any of that yet. I mean, I'm not exactly a loose cannon without regular supervision, and I still have the autism assistance support going on, so I'll just grin and bear it I guess? He did recommend me to keep any contact to my family at a minimum, as their nonsense is de-stabilizing to me. Mostly I'm just a bit nervous about how this will affect the trans clinic stuff, as I now don't have the "full" support I've been having. But I'll just spin that around and if any questions arise, I'll tell them that this is a fantastic opportunity to see how well I'm doing _without_ therapy. Along the lines of, "See, Mr. sir daddy doctor, I have psychological flexibility galore, not even the absence of one of my supports can threaten my mental wellness and my steadfast willingness to transition!" Of course, this means that I can't ask the therapist to write a statement to the clinic that I am Indeed Very Trans. But if I understood the parental leave system correctly, his leave is 4,5 months maximum, so he'll have plenty of time to write that statement once he gets back.

Weird; I got into a restless mood and after having two boiled eggs I had a pear, a few more brazil nuts, slapped the rest of my rice porridge in the oven, and mixed a chickpea-based pancake dough with rolled oats and put it in the fridge for tomorrow or in case of nightly hunger. IDK, I have a bad feeling about that dough. Didn't seem to get the consistency thick enough, but then again, the oats should fix that...? Back in the day I had so many recipes memorized. Sometimes I fear I'll never get back to my old self who could bang out straight 5/5 credits at Uni and had so much hope for the future.

Well, that got dark quickly. Best not catastrophize!

I love that Finland has that parental leave system. Why not ask your therapist for that letter of support anyway. It would feel like a good thing to have for moral support. Minimising contact with your family sounds like very good advice. I'm glad you have your appetite back.

Ended up rolling in bed, sleepless, for the whole night. Just had some bread, my med, and am now having some coffee before taking Nera out for a quick pee. I hope I can have a little nap after that, she'll wake me up for a proper walk and breakfast when she needs to poo

Sleeplessness sucks. 4.5 months is not that long if you're only going once a month anyway.
Oats do tend to thicken with time a lot and if they don't you can always add a little more. Back when I dropped out of uni I couldn't even read my favorite books because I couldn't focus for the duration of a single sentence. Took years to recover and I'm not saying things ever got fully back to normal but they did get back to practical and not annoying.

Took years to recover and I'm not saying things ever got fully back to normal but they did get back to practical and not annoying.
Yeah.

It's pretty telling that the two stints I have had in inpatient psych care were during and after my high school finals (I even finished some of my exams while on half-day leaves FROM the hospital), and a year after graduating from Uni. I pushed hard both times, got great results, and also shredded my brain and body in the process.

Of course, going through some traumatic shit in my personal life played a big role both times, it's more like... As long as I have a thing to finish, if it matters to me personally, I'll hang on by the skin of my teeth, and then spend a good while as an anxious zombie. (I have also tried and dropped things in between, like nursing school, because I didn't want to sacrifice my health and sanity for that end goal.) And I guess transitioning is my next big effort that I'll just will myself through, because failure is not an option.

I still feel guilty about not being a productive member of society. What skills I have don't translate very well to the job market. And I have had jobs and no employer ever had a bad thing to say, I had my silent breakdowns at home and did my best until I knew it was necessary to find something else. I just have so little functionality that I have to choose what to spend it on. I wish it wasn't like this.

On the other hand, why feel guilty when we live in a capitalist nightmare and the planet is on the cusp of getting unsalvageable. Living on disability benefits, I'm still a wealthy person by the developing world's standards. And I can't exactly put out anything good to this world if I'm too fucked up and sick to care for my own basic needs. The "grind" just has become such an integral, internal demand to me that living like this feels like a crime o_O

I feel bad about not being able to work more than 30 hours. And still struggling with that amount at times. Like: I´m a nominally healthy adult so I should be able to work full-time, right? And on paper I have the skills to get a better-paying job so why don´t I? Preparedness for old age and stuff. Keeping up with the Joneses. Being able to say where I work with pride. But every time I try I just crash and it´s taken months or even years to recover. Better for me to live life in the slow lane, pinch pennies a bit, and be a functional adult who manages to shower every day and doesn´t want to kill themselves in desperation. Even if it means having no status whatsoever and likely having to work into my 70s.
I know your struggles are different from mine but some of them are very recognizable. So having said all that and having strayed into TMI territory:
I guess transitioning is my next big effort that I'll just will myself through, because failure is not an option.
As long as I have a thing to finish, if it matters to me personally, I'll hang on by the skin of my teeth, and then spend a good while as an anxious zombie.
Is there an option of taking it slow and taking care of your mental health during the process? Because crashing right when you´re reaching your goal would feel awful and you deserve to feel happy about getting the reward for all your hard work.

@Llama , of course there is a balance to be kept: any visible setback to my mental health means 2+ years of delay to the diagnostic process. Back to square one.

But getting the diagnosis, and starting treatments, is as important for my long term health as anything else. Reminder: finishing the interviews alone takes at least a year from this day. Treatments, which are designed individually by places NOT the transclinic, are ultimately meant to alleviate a bodily issue that causes mental harm and anguish to me.

I know it can sound weird for me to say, but in so many ways I'm doing so well right now. It's just a constant slowburn stress to know I'm being scrutinized every step of the way while fighting myself towards the diagnosis and eventually the help I need. Reminder: the trans clinic process is designed to *keep people FROM transitioning*, not help them do it. And transitioning under the care of professionals is another process entirely and takes years to "finish" and a lifetime to keep up.

Think about it like this: if I would not have finished high school, I would be estranged from society without any of the work opportunities I have had, AND I would never have gotten to Uni. If I had never gotten to Uni, I would never have had been able to go through trauma psychotherapy, never acquired the skills to explore and build my identity, and gather the necessary knowledge to realize I'm autistic. Without my combined higher education and skills learned in therapy, I would never have been able to seek out and get a diagnosis and proper support in regard to my autism. Without that support, I would not have current access to correct medication or assistance, and would be trapped in an unhealthy relationship, most likely would not have graduated. Without breaking up and being hospitalized I would have kept putting my wish to transition off, because it is very hard to do without support. Without my degree, transitioning would be more difficult, because the trans clinic is VERY classist and ableist. Basically, every step I've taken has led me further towards bigger goals in building myself up. The mind breaking every now and then is just a natural outcome of my environment being hostile to my true self, and me having to fight for the resources to proceed towards the true self. In an ideal world it wouldn't be this way. But my choices are to curl up and rot, or to keep pushing. So far I've always been happy with the decision to push, no matter how bad it feels in a moment.

Also: I don't compare my personal hardships to those of others, so I never mind hearing from other people's perspectives. Suffering is not a competition! I can relate to what you say about the "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality, while also knowing that settling for sustainability is the RIGHT choice. Both for ourselves and the planet. I think your life sounds really nice and I would like to have something similar one day. I simply see the transitioning process as a true necessity on my way there.

I know I sound very eccentric for saying this but perhaps the best analogy for mental burnouts I can come up with, in my personal life, are the bends (what divers get when resurfacing, unless they stop to acclimatize). "Started from the bottom, now I'm here" lol. In my three previous decades I've had less support. Now the situation is different and living on benefits gives me more time to acclimatize between periods of "ascension", if you will. The bends will hit again, there's a lot of unknown factors ahead, but I know in my bones the direction is correct.

Ramble ramble 😂😂 *hugs*

and gather the necessary knowledge to realize I'm autistic. Without my combined higher education and skills learned in therapy, I would never have been able to seek out and get a diagnosis and proper support in regard to my autism.

It is unfortunate that you did not seem to get the support and diagnosis of Autism as a young kid, I hate to think what life would be like for my 3 ASD sons without the early diagnosis, Life for them has been hard enough but without the early support they would not be the functioning members of society they are now.

I know it can sound weird for me to say, but in so many ways I'm doing so well right now. It's just a constant slowburn stress to know I'm being scrutinized every step of the way while fighting myself towards the diagnosis and eventually the help I need.
There are few things I hate more than the feeling of being watched and judged (which I - irrationally - used to have 24/7, yay!) so I can imagine how hard it would be, especially when having something so important depend on it and not being 100% sure of the grading system.
Basically, every step I've taken has led me further towards bigger goals in building myself up. The mind breaking every now and then is just a natural outcome of my environment being hostile to my true self, and me having to fight for the resources to proceed towards the true self. In an ideal world it wouldn't be this way. But my choices are to curl up and rot, or to keep pushing. So far I've always been happy with the decision to push, no matter how bad it feels in a moment.
Absolutely. I was basically catatonic for weeks after handing in my paper for my bachelor´s. But if I hadn´t I wouldn´t have had the (mental) resources to try again and I´d be way worse off now than I am. What I was thinking (or maybe hoping for myself) is that there must´ve been a better way. Exactly like a diver taking time to acclimatize and reaching the surface without getting the bends, the way they should outside of life-threatening emergencies. You may well be right though in that our society isn´t set up for that, at least not for people who don´t simultaneously have money, knowledge, and connections. So basically not for the people who need it.
Now the situation is different and living on benefits gives me more time to acclimatize between periods of "ascension", if you will.
Silver linings in the help you DO get in Finland :grouphug:

@Trusylver I'm so happy that your kids got access to support early on. Growing up autistic and being misunderstood about my neurotype was deeply hurtful... I have heard a saying "former gifted children grow up special needs adults" and there's so much truth to that. I was booksmart way beyond my age, but I struggled so much with social interactions and sensory issues. Kids typically live a structured life in school, but for me the increasing autonomy in highschool etc really brought out the underlying struggles.

@Llama , hard agree. And yes: Finland does have it's silver linings.

I started to check up on my plants and there are worrisome signs of infestation going on. Nothing too drastic; it's almost impossible to have this many plants and never any little assholes crawling or flying around. (I won't go the pesticide route unless I absolutely have to.) Most plants are fine. Biggest damage has occurred to an older clusia plant I had to repot in the fall due to it not getting enough air in it's old pot, so it was already stressed out. My prettiest monstera had to have one leaf taken off as well, as it was turning yellow, probably from overwatering... And I thought I had been so diligent with my watering balance! I repotted my new, white schlumbergera, Schlumby the Second, because it wasn't doing too well in the plastic pot it came in. Also showered some of my big ones that were starting to look dusty. They need all the help in getting enough light at this time of the year. But whoever makes it until late Feb, will usually be safe.

Edit: a big portion of pasta with grated parmesan and olive oil. I'll eat something more nutrient-dense soon, but really needed some fuel after a sleepless night!

Last edited:
Snack: an avocado, two Brazil nuts, a handful of Doritos, a bowl of shallot and cherry tomato soup with cubed potatoes.

Schlumby the second made me chuckle. My apartment is quite dark so plants struggle as well. A shame growlights use so much energy or they'd be perfect.

@Llama , I have a LED growlight setup from Ikea that is set on the darkest corner in my apartment, above a (fake antique) Chinese-style cupboard on which I keep some eye catcher plants and my Buddha statue that I found from someone's spring cleaning box on the Pentecost of 2018. (I had wanted to get one for a long time but didn't feel comfortable buying one from Ikea or similar, that would just have felt disrespectful lol, so he was perfect for me.) The LED growlight is a good option, and it's also not necessary to follow the exact instructions for the setup (unless you are growing your own lettuce or marihuana or whatever). I have mine set on a little table lamp that's pointing upwards, so the light bounces off the ceiling and walls back to the plants. They have been doing fine in that spot for two winters now. Of course they grow in funky directions, but plants in nature aren't exactly symmetrical.

Went grocery shopping, feeling happy, found bargains and my beloved RAF tomatoes (4 euros for 4 tomatoes), got some thinking done, too. The snow seems to be too cold for Nera's paws right now, it's "only" -13, but I think it's because the roads have been salted for weeks now and people are skiing all over the place, so the surface has lost the insulating fluffiness it usually has.

I had a moment of hope, peace and clarity when walking back home. A feeling that I'm on the right path and while pain is a necessary part of being a human, me knowing where my pain originates from and being able to take steps to alleviate it is a real blessing. Oh and I picked up my sleeping pill prescription because as Nera's tooth appointment approaches, I need to be well rested to be able to care for her to my best ability as she recovers from it!

Dinner: 3 soft boiled eggs, 3 RAF tomatoes, two slices of raw toast with marg. Sometimes I just like soft un-bread 😩🍞

LEDs are good enough for plants? I didn't know that! An Ikea visit may be in my future...
Salty ice must be so unpleasant to walk on, poor Nera. Do you rub her paws with grease/vaseline before leaving the house?
If bread is soft I don't want it toasted. Toasting is for stale or subpar bread in my world. To each their own though.

Back