Finster Diary

Finsternis

October 2, 2021
Hi, I have a married man...
I am about 175 cm tall, my current weight is about 80 kg. My wife wants me to lose 15kg. I started writing this to record how far I've been trying to lose weight.

today I started with light exercise and walked around the house at 6 am and ended at 7 because I had to go to work, at 5 pm I started again with light exercise such as gymnastics, running.

To please my wife, I am ready to do it for the next few months until I lose weight.

Hi Finsternis and welcome to the forum. You are indeed slightly overweight (unless you´re quite muscular) but losing weight to please someone else is... kind of strange. Do you have reason to be worried about your health, or do you notice drawbacks about your current weight? "Blaming" your wife every time you deprive yourself of something could lead to some unhealthy relationship dynamics so finding better motivation might be a good idea. Speaking of which: exercise is great for you in a lot of ways but if you´re losing weight solely by increasing your exercise it´s going to be hard to get the weight off and KEEP it off long-term. It takes around a 500 kcal/day deficit to lose half a kilo a week. It takes about an hour of relatively intense exercise to burn 500 kcal (or two hours of less intense exercise, like a brisk walk). Assuming you weren´t gaining weight when you started this change you´d have to exercise for an hour every day for the next 30 weeks to lose 15 kg. More than half a year. And probably half an hour a day for the rest of your life to keep it off. Are you ready for that? If yes: wonderful, exercise is great, but make sure you don´t slip in extra snacks to reward yourself for all that exercise because 100 g of chocolate contains around 550 kcal of energy. If you´re not willing to commit to that much exercise changing how (much) you eat and snack may be a more sustainable option.

Back